*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1579897-Bounty-Hunterplus----Chpt--2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1579897
Joseph is a bounty hunter. Where do Cassie and Colin fit in?
Joseph glanced at Cassie as she quickened her step to keep up with him. He slowed his pace.
"You could have said something." He said.
Cassie shifted the pack. "I'm fine." She said as she fell in step with him. "Okay, we get to Norba, then what?"
Joseph clenched his jaw. (Right, then what?) He thought for a minute as they continued walking. "We find out who put the bounty on you and wanted you caught." He kept walking in silence.
Cassie huffed when he stayed silent. [How are you doing, Colin?]
[Okay, but I'm bored.] Came her answer from the pack.
Cassie laughed quietly. "Colin's fine." She said when Joseph glanced at her. Her smile disappeared. "We're being followed." She whispered.
Joseph turned and glimpsed a figure dodging into a doorway.
"How did you..." He stopped when he saw Colin had popped his head out of the pack. He chuckled. "Eyes in the back of your head, huh?"
Cassie simply smiled and walked on. "How else do you think I saw you?"
"You never saw me." His eyes narrowed.
Her smile broadened.
"You can see what he sees?" Joseph asked, slightly astonished.
Cassie nodded.
They walked on for a while, then Joseph asked. "Are they still following?'
"Yes." Came Colin's soft voice.
"If I saw them, I would know who they are." Joseph mumbled.
"Colin, show me." Cassie said faintly.
Joseph noticed as Cassie's eyes lost focus. He watched as she stepped very carefully forward. Now he understood why she ran into the large alien yesterday. "How many?"
"Two." Cassie said. "One's as tall as you, but his hat is different and he has a red sash around his waist." As she walked, she put her feet in front of her carefully
Joseph grimaced. "Tobias." He said simply.
Cassie blinked and looked up at him. "Is he Kalahnarii?"
Joseph nodded. "Colin, is his partner smaller and red headed?"
"Yes." Colin and Cassy said together.
Joseph looked ahead. "Korad. They think they're going to take you back and collect. Tobias thinks you have the credits."
"Well, tell him I don't." Cassie insisted.
"He won't believe me." Joseph's brow was furrowed. "Tobias is greedy and doesn't trust any one but that toady of his...sometimes." Joseph slipped off one of his gloves. "But maybe I can change his mind." He flexed his bare hand. "Are they still coming?" He asked as they walked slowly on. There wan't a big crowd around, so he 'opened up' a little and focused behind him.
"Still." Said Cassie. She was 'looking' as well.
At that moment, Cassie tripped and Joseph, not thinking, grabbed her; and was seeing Tobas behind him, then at himself looking down.
Cassie yelped as a mild shock went through her. She pulled away and broke the connection.
"That stung." He heard Cassie say.
Joseph blinked as his eyes focused on her. Joseph noticed beings nearby giving them a wide berth. He turned and saw Tobias standing and watching him. 'Got you.' Joseph mouthed.
Cassie looked back. "He looks angry."
"He'll get over it." Joseph said. He faced her. "Now, how did we do that little trick?"
Cassie shook her head. "No idea."
"That was great! Lets do it again." Colin said, excitedly.
"Not if you paid me." Cassie mumbled as she shifted the pack so that Colin fell in.
Joseph walked on. "We better keep moving before he tries anything."
They soon reached his ship; the 'Silver Mach'. The ship was at least fifty feet in length. The silver sheen gave it it's perfect name. As Joseph reached for the locking mechanism, he paused.
"When I say run, do it." He whispered.
Cassie tensed. Shifting the pack to one side, she took a step back as Tobias came around the ship.
"Hello, Joseph." He said as he gave them a smile.
"Tobias." Joseph nodded. He put himself between Tobias and the girl.
"Come on, Joseph. Five thou. is a lot of credits." He took another step closer. "We could split it."
Joseph didn't move. "She's my prisoner, Tobias." Then he noticed Tobias glancing quickly past him and whirled around to see Korad grab the girl around the neck and pull her arm behind her. He heard a crackle before being thrown against the ship.
"I win." Said Tobais as he held an ungloved hand near Joseph's chest. "Make a move and Korad will snap her neck." He stepped closer, putting his hand nearer. "And I'll gladly give you another one."
"Bounty says alive or no payment." Joseph said, hoarsely. He watched Cassie's face. The surprise he had seen at first, was replaced by a determinded look.
[Colin, scare this guy!] Cassie sent. She felt the man's strength and knew she couldn't struggle free. He had a firm grip on her arm behind her. She needed a distraction.
[Come on, Colin.] She sent again when nothing happened.
[I...can't.] Came a fearful send. The pack hung beside her.
Cassie tried to calm down and sent slowly. [Pretend it's Papa Holmes. Remember how we practiced?]
The fear in the next send had lessened. [Okay.] Colin popped his head out and opened his mouth.
Tobias sensed something and glanced at his partner just as a small squeal came from that direction. He and Joseph saw as Korad jumped.
Cassie struck as his grip loosened. She rammed her elbow into his solar plexus. As his arm came away from her throat, she twisted and her fist connected with his chin.
Dazed, Korad fell to his knees as Cassie grabbed the weapon from his holster and aimed it at him.
Joseph took advantage of the situation. He tackled Tobias, trying to ignore the volts that went through him. He landed a few blows.
"GET OFF!" Tobias screamed.
Joseph rolled away and; crouching, glared at Tobias. He gave a quick glance toward Cassie. He saw her near the ship, watching the two combatants but also keeping an eye on Korad. Joseph noticed that Korad was still on his knees.
"You've lost, Tobias." Joseph stood, hiding the shakiness he felt, took out his own weapon. "Take your partner and go!" He backed up to the ship.
Tobias glared at Cassie as he retrieved his still stunned partner and left.
Cassie approached Joseph.
"You could have run off." Joseph stated as his body recovered from the shocks.
"Where to?" Cassie lifted the pack to her face. "You okay, Colin?"
Colin climbed out and on to her shoulders. "That was great!" His small voice high-pitched. His small body quivered with excitement.
Cassie reached up and pressed his small head into her cheek. "Thank you, Colin."
"Welcome." Colin's body slowly stopped quivering. "I'm hungry." He stated.
Cassie laughed.
Joseph huffed. "Let's go." He opened the ship and stepped into a new problem.

"What does this do?" Colin asked as he reached for a switch. He sat in the chair next to Joseph.
"Don't touch." Joseph said as he watched the young Dolanar. He became a little agitated as Colin reached for another switch. "I'll answer you if you don't touch!"
"Colin!" Cassie said from another seat behind them.
Colin sat back and listened as Joseph explained some of the controls. His body began quivering again. "And this one?" He pointed to a small green one.
"That controls the arificial gravity." Joseph pushed Colin's small hand away.
"You mean if it's turned off, we float?" He reached for it again.
"DON"T TOUCH!" Joseph yelled.
Cassie ran up and grabbed Colin from the chair. "You don't have to shout." She said angrily as she returned to her seat.
Joseph huffed again. He would be glad when he got rid of this human and her small charge; he didn't care about where she got him now. He could then get back to real quarry. He glance back and met a very angry stare.
[You were told not to touch.] Cassie sent. She slowly rocked to calm the shivering young one in her arms. She looked around the cockpit of the ship. Coming in though the front, she didn't see the rest of the seemingly small craft, but she knew that it could hold a few compartments as well as a place to hold detainees.
[I know. I just...forgot.] Colin raised his head and watched Joseph's movements. [It's so interesting.]
Cassie wondered if she had every been as curious as a child.
Colin climbed onto her shoulders and kept watching Joseph.
[Can I go over there again?]
[No.]
[Just for a little. I...]
[Colin, settle down or I'll put you in the pack and close it.]
Colin rested his head on her's and became quiet.

"That thing she has surprised me." Said Korad as he rubbed his jaw. He didn't meet Tobias' eyes.
Tobias glared at him. "She would't have gotten the drop on you if you had been more alert. You knew she had something with her."
"I didn't hear her say anything." Korad insisted. "That thing..."
"Enough." Tobias grumbled. He opened the communicator in his hand.
"Well?" Came a voice.
"She got away." Tobias said.
"WHAT!"
"That thing she has in her pack surprised us. You didn't tell us it would be dangerous."
"That thing is afraid of it's own shadow!" Came the voice. "I told you it can't hurt you! I never saw that thing do anything, just cower in that girl's arms. I told you that she needs to be eliminated. She saw me and if she remembers who was with Gosan, she could lead the authorities to our little side business." There was a pause. "Where is she now?"
Tobias hesitated before answering. "Joseph's got her."
"Great! You let her escape and she runs right into him."
"Actually, he was helping her." Tobias hated talking to this one. If it wasn't for the fact that this man could make them credits and keep them secret, Tobias wouldn't have anything to do with him; but this guy was making him rich.
"And you didn't kill him? That one has been a pain in your side for years."
"I'll get another chance." Tobias grinned. "I'll make him pay for this time as well."
"I don't care what you do to him, just get that girl." The communicator went off.
© Copyright 2009 Machamom (marygyvara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1579897-Bounty-Hunterplus----Chpt--2