*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1580041-Silly-Hawk-Tricks-are-for-Rabbits
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #1580041
Short about Wenaboozhoo or Waynaboozhoo creator and trickster.
One day there hopped a rabbit, no not down the bunny trail. For he was no peter rabbit. He was taking the unbeaten path through the forest and on to the lake for a quick dip. Well on his way he notices a great shadow over him from above. Hovering there and not moving at all. This causes him to look up and see what this could be. Well to his dismay there soared a great hawk. Looking down with a stare only a hawk can give... well a hawk or a cranky woman. A stare so cold and wanting it sent a chill down his spine. He knew he could not outrun this great bird. So he stood there and actually waved this hawk towards him in defiance. The hawk confused flew down to ask this crazy rabbit just what in the heck he thought he was doing...

He perched himself on a nearby branch. And asked, "What are you too stupid to realize? That I am a dang hawk!" "You are supposed to run away then I swoop down and grab you and eat you." Well with a sigh the rabbit says, "You should not eat me I am no good for you." Mr. hawk blurts out, "Sure I do, I want to eat you and you look plenty good. After I finish with you I can go and lay fat in the sun the rest of the day."

Well this did not sit too well with the rabbit and he knew his story had no base. And the hawk was not buying into his b.s.. So he decided to spin a different kind of story. "Okay well I am willing to give in to you if you can do one thing for me." the rabbit says. The hawk responds, "What is this one thing?" With a curiosity usually saved for the most mischievous of cats. So on with his plan the rabbit did. "I would like to be cooked after I am killed. I do not like the idea of my guts laying all over the place." The confused hawk just stared back at the rabbit. He could not actually think of anything to say to this silly rabbit.

The rabbit said, "If you do this for me I will tell you where my brothers and sisters are and you can live fat for many months to come." With that the hawk agreed, "I will do this, but where do I find, or how do I make fire?"

The rabbit explains there is a human village on the other side of the lake and at this time they are all out doing their work for the day. They leave the fires burning all day long so it will be easy to sneak in and grab fire. "And while you are out doing this I will make a pile of sticks here and will not run away." The hawk trusting this noble rabbit readily agreed. Well off he flew and like the rabbit said he made the pile of wood and did not run off. The hawk returned and was not surprised, for some reason, to see the rabbit still there. Well the rabbit motioned for the hawk to come closer. So he did, with that the rabbit said, "Well I am only going to tell you only if we start the fire first. If you do this I will lay down and die, but not before I tell you my families home."

With the greed of a banker with a stack of cash, he wholeheartedly agreed. With this he took the stick which was still smoldering, down to the pile of wood. The rabbit explains, "Well you have to put the stick under the wood. Then to get the fire going you have to get really close and blow on the stick to get a fire going on it again."

With that said the hawk stoops over and tries to light the stick by blowing on it. The rabbit says, "I will help you blow on this stick." As he does this the stick lights and the fire is going. He tells the hawk, "Keep blowing on it to get a really hot and big fire going." So the hawk turns and really begins to blow and gets the fire glowing a bright orange. With this done the rabbit positions himself behind the hawk rear to rear and kicks with all his might. The hawk falls into the fire and the rabbit giggles with glee. Runs off and yells "Sucker!" The stunned and now feather-less hawk just looks on with disbelief. Red all over not just from that hot fire, but with both rage and embarrassment.


- C.E.O.
© Copyright 2009 Cameron (grofit44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1580041-Silly-Hawk-Tricks-are-for-Rabbits