*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1582832-Escape-from-the-Mummys-Tomb
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing.Com · #1582832
Mike must escape from a collapsing tomb.
As I pulled away the rubble gathered in the stone door, everyone held their breaths, waiting to see what would happen.
‘Give me a candle,’ I ordered, and instantly, someone lit a candle, lighting the dark antechamber of the Egyptian tomb.
I grabbed the candle, and shoved it through the small hole I had made. I put my hand through, and placed the small candle on a ledge. Then, I put my eye up to the hole, and stared in at the dimly lit tomb of Tutankhamen. I gasped.
‘Mike!’ Lord Carnavon, my employer said. ‘What do you see?’
I replied slowly, taking in the room I could see. ‘I see… amazing things.’ I stared in the room, filled with Egyptian artifacts, all golden and shining in the candlelight. In the center of the room sat a large stone box. The Sarcophagus.
Abruptly, Carnavon pulled me away from the opening, and glued his own eye to the opening.
‘My goodness.’ He stepped away, and ordered the stone door be broken down.

Quickly, the door was destroyed, and a mass of smelly, musty air poured out, making several men gag.
Lord Carnavon entered, with me right behind him. The others – all 19 of them – made to follow, but then suddenly, an iron gate came crashing down. Everyone jumped back except me – I had nowhere to go but forward. I dived forward, milliseconds before the gate would have crushed my skull.

‘Get help!’ I yelled. The others obeyed, rushing to the surface with their torches, plunging the room into near darkness – the only source of light being that from the candle.
I looked around. There were hundreds of artifacts, all made of gold. I focused my attention on the large sarcophagus, when Lord Carnavon said: ‘Mike, is it me, or is this roof lowering?’
‘Huh?’ I looked up, and to my horror, saw that the roof was indeed lowering.
Carnavon was going pale. ‘What are we going to do?’
‘The gate will drive us into the ground, crushing us for sure.’ I explained. ‘But there has to be a way out.’
I quickly looked around. ‘I’ve got it.’
I grabbed a large table, and dragged it over to the iron gate. I began pushing.
‘Come on!’ I yelled, when I noticed Carnavon standing around. ‘Help me push!’
‘But my suit!’ Carnavon replied. ‘This is a new suit! All the way from London.’
‘Forget about your suit! You can get another one when we get out.’
Carnavon stood motionless, as he mulled it over.
‘Okay!’

He joined me in pushing, and shortly, we fell to our knees, as the roof slowly descended on us.
Suddenly, the iron gate broke.
I rushed out, with Lord Carnavon on my tail.

We stood there panting for a minute. Then we went to the surface.

The End
© Copyright 2009 Little Scribbler (tiny_scribble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1582832-Escape-from-the-Mummys-Tomb