*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584285-On-the-Run
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #1584285
In a blink of the eye two young boys become desperadoes.
"On The Run"




We weren’t supposed to be there. We knew it, and we were on edge, literally. We were on the bluff overlooking the nude beach. The beach was crowded with pale tourists. We were half hidden inside a bush and as close to the edge as we could get without falling over onto the rocks below.

“I think we should leave,” Ernie whispered.

“Take a look at this, pal!” I zoomed in closer on a woman’s chest.

“Your mom’s going to find out and she’s going to tell my mom!”

“It doesn’t seem to focus all that good.”

“Come on Charley, let’s get out’a here!” he hissed.

I scowled over at Ernie. His eyeglasses were smudged with sunscreen goop and lay crooked on his face. One eye was purple-black and nearly swollen closed from where Sergio Martinez, the biggest jerk in school, had punched him. Ernie’s red hair poked out of his head from different angles. He had the look of a redheaded scarecrow who’d just stuck his finger in a light-socket.

I went back to my viewfinder. The woman was so close I really didn’t need the camera. I zoomed out a bit and the focus improved. When I looked at her face for the first time I realized who she was.

“Oh, man! Look at this!”

I gave Ernie the camera and pointed at the woman who should have stood out from the rest without me having to point.

“Mrs. Martinez!” Ernie screamed.

I shushed him, but too late. When I looked down on the beach Sergio’s mother was looking up at us, pointing.

We heard our names being called as we ran.

We were fifth grade dropouts now. We’d have to leave home, change our names, and get jobs.

We ran separate ways home to pack for Mexico.



-300 Words-

300 word flash fiction contest using the words Sunscreen, Camera, Tourist




© Copyright 2009 Winchester Jones (ty.gregory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584285-On-the-Run