*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584366-The-Hourglass
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Teen · #1584366
Seemingly normal kids will come to discover that they lead anything but normal lives.
Prologue


So Basically This Is Kinda How It Started - Krystal


         “I still don’t get it. It doesn’t add up at all, and you aren’t doing to well at convincing me.”

         I looked up at the man, wishing more than anything to smack him upside the head. How can someone honestly be this stupid? I mean seriously, if you could go to school for being a moron, this guy would have his degree in a heart beat. “I’ve been here for hours telling you and re-telling you this story.” I sighed in defeat. “How the hell can you not understand it?”

         He smirked and sank into the chair across from me, resting his flabby arm on the edge of the dirty table. Graffiti and carvings were etched almost ritualistically into the table from the past delinquents in this interrogation room. Is that what I am now, I mused. A delinquent?

         “What I can understand is some punk-ass street trash kid giving me a half-wit story to cover her ass and keep herself outta jail.” The detective smiled and popped a toothpick into his mouth. “That’s what I’m supposed to understand, then- well it’s crystal clear.”

         I rolled my eyes and slouched lower in my chair. "I didn't kill a guy. Pat, you and I both know I‘m not a killer. I can barely make my own toast in the morning without burning it. How can you seriously believe that I killed someone?"

         "Oh really? Because in my eyes, the eyes of the law, a person who ends someone's life is called a killer, or murderer. Which ever one you perfer to call yourself."

         I narrowed my eyes and straightened up. "Were you not listening for the past 3 and a half god damn hours? Or does all the lard from the donuts you eat just make its home in your ears?"

         "You better watch your mouth. I'm not the one who killed a man."

         "That's funny, because neither am I. So who you talking to Patty boy? Don't tell me you have imaginary friends now? That is so cute."

         Detective Patrick Edward's face reddened slightly as he leaned back in his chair. "Krystal," he started off in a calm tone. "Unless you want me to throw your ass in jail, you better start telling me that story again, and no lies. I mean it."

         I sighed and gave him my best bitchy look outta the vault, which is overloaded with looks. So you could imagine his face when I said, "I haven't told any lies and I haven't killed a man. You haven't been listening Pat."

         "If that's so true," he said as he leaned forward. "Then where are these friends of yours that you've talked so much about, huh?"

         I went cold and stared past the man to look at the wall. I bit my lip and tried to lose the feeling in my chest. You know the one where a little man is stabbing you with a knife?

         "I don't know."
____________________________

Chapter 1


To Party, or Not to Party. That is the Question - Star


         It was Friday.

         I ambled down the halls of my school, like usual, biting my lip as a girl from a higher sorority pulled a questionable face at me. What did she care? I was just a nobody to her anyways. I was a nobody to everyone.

         Despite my lack of enthusiasm this morning, today I made it on time. My uncle had bottled up some sort of arrogance in his chest, exhaling the offer to force me to arrive at the same time he did, which was, to my dislike, early. Kiorri was an algebra teacher and grew pretty peeved at the thought of sleeping in. I swear, I will never understand that man. Sleeping in was my favourite pastime.

         He gave me a shove as we prodded towards his classroom, smiling and makign a face as if he hadn‘t done anything. I was quite surprised at how silent the two of us had been in the last hour. I was naturally a quiet, shy sort of figure, but Kiorri always got me talking. Always strangled me out of my tangled web of memories. When I didn’t say anything, he broke the silence. “What’s going on, kiddo?”

         I faked a smile, casting an eye. He had been taking care of me ever since my parents had died in a car accident, years ago. I'd stayed with several foster parents over the course of a few years until Kiorri had decided to open welcoming arms. He was more of a father than anyone else I'd resided with. Sure, a rather...ginormous, childish, burly, immature father. But I couldn't ask for more.

         “What’s wrong?” He quizzed, shovelling his feet to slow down our pace rather bluntly.

         It either saddened me or frightened me when Kiorri's tone hit the serious base. He wasn’t the kind of guy that was serious all that often, so when he did, you knew he meant business


         As much as I wanted to, I couldn't hide my bad morning from him. I couldn't bury what was already dead. But, like always, I tried anyways. “Nothing. Just another day.”

         He scrutinized me carefully and I felt my face go hot. It was only several moments after that he turned his head away, breaking the eye contact I refused to make. He opened his mouth as if to say something, then hesitated and said nothing at all.

         Another wave of sorrow washed through me. I knew what he was going to say, or at least what it would remind me of. Krystal. Erin. Alex. Spencer. And Nathan… the only other people I’d consider family, ever. They were dead, every single one of them... gone. Maybe that was the real reason why people avoided me. I was viewed as a survivor of a freak accident. Shouldn’t that make me a freak? I sighed and shook my head. I don’t blame people for not liking me. I was weird, ever since the accident. Yet, that was three years ago. I’m sixteen years old now. Shouldn't I have moved on?

***
         A couple hours later, I was leaving the school, carting my blue shawl that I always carried with me. It was the only other color besides black I’ve really worn in the last while. The shawl was specially hand made, woven carefully. Each thread was beautiful, each stitch a reminder of how the world should be. Together.

         I ceased to an abrupt stop as a boy with sable hair and jade eyes approached me, virtually skipping. I knew him- if you call watching from a distance “knowing a person“. His name was Zeke and he was the type of guy who looked inviting. He was always active on and off the courts and he wasn't as snooty as his popularity deemed him to be. Despite that, I'd never uttered a word to him in my life.

         “Hey,” He greeted me, looking as if he forgot my name. I nodded to him politely, flashing him a small smile and tightening the hold my school books. My eyes darted to his hands as he reached for a piece of stark paper, grinning. “Feel like coming? All’s invited.”

         I accepted the gathered paper from him curiously, reading, “Party after school! All’s invited! B.Y.O.B.”

         I gave it back to him, looking down at my feet. “I’m not sure if I should go, Zeke.”

         “Aww, why not?” He returned respectively, as if we were old friends. I could tell he wasn't too hurt by my rejection, but he was a nice kid.

         “Well, my uncle’s waiting for me at home. You know how Kiorri is. Maybe some other time?"

         He smiled, nodding, while absent-mindedly fingering the invitation. “Alright, spread the word though, alright? And you can keep the invitation, if you decide to show and forget where it is.”

         I managed a weak smile. If I forgot where it was. If I could forget anything. “Right. Well, have fun."
________________________

Chapter 2


Confusion with Coffee To Go- Krystal


         “Hey you,” Raz greeted me at the door of the coffee shop. He was apart of my little crew, one of the ones I hang around with every so often. “How’s it been?”

         “Not much, Raz,” I said , shooting him a sideways glance as I dug in my purse for money. “Say I missed you at the show last night. Too bad. You missed a pretty good band.”

         We were in Tim Horton’s, an overly fancy coffee shop. In my opinion, it was too small for all the artsy paintings and “au modern“ things they put in there. Even the salt and pepper shaker’s had something engraved on them. It drove me nuts, because I’m the type of person that actually has to look at everything in my surrounding. I was the kid that read the ingredients on cereal boxes in the morning as she ate. I am just that awesome.

         “Yeah, sorry about that,” Raz apologized, running a hand through his shag of black hair. A lot of boys looked great with that sort of style, but Raz seriously needed it cut. “Me and Monica aren’t doing so well lately.” He paused. “I had to fix things up with her. Also, Zeke hooked up with Karen. You should have seen them, they went.”

         “Nah,” I answered, not remembering seeing Raz’s younger brother at the concert. In fact, I haven’t seen Zeke in a while. Ah, who am I kidding? Maybe I did see him. I'd been so out of it for the past month or so. Sometimes I'd even forget who in the heck I was. It was almost embarrassing to tell you the truth. “And I didn’t know he had a thing for Karen.”

         “Yeah,” Raz chuckled, and paused, waiting as I ordered. When the food came up, Raz paid without a word and took my food with a grin before I could complain. I shook my head and followed in defeat, deciding this was a battle for another day.

         When he set the stuff down, he unwrapped my sandwich and took a bite. He slid the rest to me and smirked as he swallowed. I rolled my eyes as snatched my food up. “Come on,” I said, turning on my heel and heading for the door. “Taking it to go”

         Raz caught up to me as I hit the parking lot, juggling my food as I fished around in my pocket for my car keys. Man, why are they always so hard to take out. I finally felt metal and yanked them out of my pocket. Skinny jeans and car key are not a good mix, I mentally noted as I slid the key in to unlock my hunk of junk car. Rust over-powered the white paint, the inside smelt faintly of onions, and there was a spring that dug into my ass as I drove. I swear more then anything, against all odds, I love my car.

         I pulled at the handle with a yank, and to my utter dismay, nothing, not even a little budge. I pursed my lips and yanked again. Still nothing.

         “Do you need some help?” Raz asked, stepping behind me.

         I turned towards him. “My car won’t open for you. It doesn’t open for anyone but me.”

         His eyebrows shot up into his mop of hair. “Oh really? How’s that working out for you?”

         I narrowed my eyes and I stepped aside. “I’m telling you, it won’t-“. Of course he got it on the first try.

         Raz held the door open as if opening the door of a carriage from a Cinderella story or something. I shook my head and gave my car the evil eye. “Traitor.” Raz laughed and closed the door when I slid in and put my food down. He leaned against my window frame. His broad shoulders nearly covered the distance between the frame. He was all tanned skin and dark brown eyes when I looked at him. Kind of like an cross-breed between and preppy scene kid and a teddy bear. Messed up, but that’s Raz for you.

         “Hey,” Raz said, his eyes lighting up and his eyebrows shooting up into his mop. “I’m throwing a party tonight, at that old shack in the suburbs. I think you should come.”

         I raised an eyebrow, and looked away to inspect my nails. “The one that was put up for sale? I thought it was abandoned.” I looked up at him seriously, my brows raising on my forehead and my eyes beginning to shine with interest. I loved dangerous things like that. Even if it was against the law and risky, danger always caught my attention. I swear, the only place I’ll ever make a mark on in my life is CNN; and not for anything good might I add.

         Raz nodded. “That’s the one. I think you should come, if you have nothing better to do.” He paused. “But I mean, look at me. I can give you someone better to do” He grinned, jumping away as my hand came up to swat him.

         “You are such a dirty kid, you know that right?”

         He shrugged, grinning shamelessly. “It’s in my blood, blame my parents.”

         I rolled my eyes and turned the key in the ignition, praying the “Thing”, as I so fondly named it, would start. Someone out there loved me. The car roared to life and I did my little happy dance inside my head.

         Raz approached once and leaned in again. He smelt of fresh grass and sunshine. “Look,” he said, invading my personal space once more. “I’m not asking you force yourself to come, but think about for me.” Before I knew what hit me, his lips brushed mine. I tensed and felt a ripple go through my body. Just as quickly as it had happened, he was unfolding himself out of my window frame. Before he turned to walk away, he said “Just think about it.” Then he was gone.

         I sat in my seat, my eyes burning holes into my steering wheel. My heart was thumping and adrenaline surged through my blood, causing it to boil. What had just happened? I’d known Raz all through high school, but never had anything like this happened. He had a girlfriend, for goodness sake. What the hell was he thinking?

         I brought my fingertips up to my lips, which were still tingling from the pressure of his lips on mine. I don’t know what was worse. The fact that he’d kissed me, or the fact that I’d kissed him back.

         I shook my head and took a huge sip of my Ice Cap. I glanced at the clock. It was nearly six o’clock and the sun was beginning to sink in the horizon. I sighed and put the car in gear.

         On the ride home, I thought about nothing. I turned the radio to a station with half decent songs and cranked the volume. I zoomed through Main Street and pulled up to my house. I sighed as I turned off the car. I walked up to the house and opened the door to the over-whelming smell of burnt cheese and cigarette smoke. I close the door and kicked off my boots. “Mama, I’m home.”

         I heard footsteps coming up from the basement as I ambled into the living room. I plopped onto the couch just as my mom walked into the room, a long cigarette dangling from her fragile looking fingers. “Where have you been?”

         I rubbed my hands over my face and yawned. “I went to Tim Horton’s after work, Ma.”

         She scowled and took a long drag from her smoke. “You should have called.” she wheezed, coughing up everything except a lung.

         I slumped my shoulders and opened my eyes. “Sorry, I wasn’t thinking.”

         “Damn right you weren’t.”

         I felt a sting in my chest as the silence stretched between us. I heard another set of footsteps approaching from behind my mom. “Krystal? Is that you?”

         My step-dad stumbled into the living room with a beer in his hands, sporting a stained white shirt that barely covered his enormous beer-gut.

         I sighed, forgetting my mom for a minute. “Yes Frank,” I said, my words dripping with venom. “It’s me.”

         “Well no shit, dumb shit.” He laughed, spit misting from mouth and spraying everywhere.

         “It wasn’t that funny, Frank.”

         His laughing stopped and he tripped over to the couch. “What’d you say?”

         I turned my icy eyes on him, trying to make him turn away with just a look. He gave me a drunken smile and slapped me across the face. Sudden pain made me go dizzy. The rusted taste of blood filled my mouth. I fought the urge to bring my hand up to my face. It’s what he wanted from me; a reaction.

         Still grinning he said “Lets see that wipe that look off your face, bitch.” He chuckled. “Now where’s that pay check of yours, hm? Where‘d ya put it?”

         I sat up slowly and reached a shaking arm into my purse. I was half afraid he was going to break it, like the last time. He sighed as I threw it at him. “Good,” was all he said as he turned around and waddled drunkenly out of the room.

         I sat and finally brought my hand up to my face and rubbed at the tenderness. There was no tears, of course not. I was used to it, standard procedures and such. I turned to look at my mom, who was standing in the corner, smoking away. She didn’t say a word. She did nothing.

         I narrowed my eyes and snatched my bag off the ground. I straightened myself out and strutted past my mom. “Thanks for the help, Mom,” I said, pausing to look her straight in the eyes. “I’ll say that I fell down the stairs this time. You’re the greatest.”

         I moved for the door and heard her say “Where you going and when will you be back?”

         I stopped, my hand on the door knob. My blood was boiling and my skin burned. I took a deep breath.

         “I’m going out and you’d be lucky if I ever came back.” With that, I stalked outside, got in The Thing and started my drive to the suburbs.
______________________________

Chapter 3


Yellow and Blue Sunshine- Erin


         I pranced down the long blue and yellow hallway, my bag weighing a ton on my shoulders. Everything seemed a bit more heavier lately. Today was the school spirit day, and everyone crowded through the halls in flashes of yellow and blue, our team's colors. Oh, man. I'd forgotten to dress up. I'd dressed up all week so far...why had I forgotten now? It's spirit week, for Pete‘s sake. And although something like that should seem little, it actually gave me a reason to stand out. Everyone stood out on spirit week.

         I was about to deem myself a paranoid schizophrenic, when my attention was drawn to the stark square of white, standing out among the faces. All of our stationary was blue and yellow today...why wasn't this one?

         “Party at the old shack tonight for everyone who wants to come,” I read aloud, having difficulties picking up the sheet of paper against the flat surface of the hallway. When it was finally in my clutches, I allowed myself to parade through the details.

         A party could be fun. I have been so out of it lately. I don’t remember anything. Not a single being in the hallways brought me any clues, either. The only people I actually new was the couple who claimed to be my parents. They'd said I was in some sort of accident, which was why I wasn't able to recall anything important. Still, it didn't feel like I had amnesia, and no one had exactly acted like a past friend to me at this school. One thing I knew, I had always been a bit of a misfit. I glanced down at my rainbow socks. They were enough proof.

         Oh gosh. I could definitely stand to meet a few people.
_____________________________

Chapter 4


Pencils and... Parties?- Spencer


         If there was such thing as wall-papering a school with flyers, then our school has done it. The school had fliers up everywhere. Bright blues and yellows flooded the halls, with it’s good intention of boosting school spirit. All it gave me was a headache.

         Among the spirit posters, another flyer had been going around the school. Everyone was talking about the party that was happening in the suburbs Seemingly for some party. Should I go? Do I want to go? I looked down at my feet and thought for a moment. A party would mean I’d have to be out of the house. That’s a good thing. A very good thing. Maybe. Maybe I’ll go.

         The bell rang and I went off to the bathroom to get out of class. All the other kids filed through the hallways with purpose, while I sat in the bathroom drawing. It seemed this was my only escape lately. It helped keep me cool. For the time being anyways.

         The party didn’t sound like such a bad idea now. It could do me good to get out more often, and who knows, maybe I’ll meet some friends. I paused for a moment and almost laughed at myself. Sometimes I dream a bit too much. Why would anyone want to be my friend? It’s nice to dream though, but really, a friend? I crack myself up sometimes.

         I looked down at my sketch pad.

         I’d been drawing aimlessly, not really having an idea of what I wanted to draw, but looking down at the paper now, it seemed that I was drawing with some knowing. I drew someone, or something. I recognized it. Just a bit. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s someone I know, or knew. Either way, it’s not someone I like.
_______________________________

Chapter 5


Reputations and Rainbows- Erin


         I walked into the shack. Well, maybe 'walked' isn't quite the right word. Every step had been a hesitation. What if I screwed something up? What if I got into trouble when I came home? Where would I go after this? My home...but I didn’t really didn't want to have dinner with my so-called parents. It was awkward since I didn't remember them. It was always too quiet in my adopted home. I hung my head slightly, the ends of my brown hair tickling my cheeks. It was a little shorter than the standard 'short hair' would be for the average teenage girl. Then again...was my life really that average?

         The shack was tiny and needed some color in my opinion. The grass was all dried up and dead. The siding on the exterior walls was deteriorating. Golly, what was the deal here? The poor shack was right squat next to the woods, and too puny to hold a raging bash. I drew in a breath as I approached the threshold and--here went nothing--stepped inside.

         I glanced at the few people who were attending. There was a tan guy, who was fairly tall. I had seen him around my school, and he was usually followed by a group of pretty girls, all of them usually smiling at him or trying to impress him. He was standing proudly against some ratted recliner. Raz; was his name?

         Then there was some kid named Luke. He was pudgy and blond, with a scowl on his face. Now, he was slouching on the torn couch, blasting the noise of whatever game he was playing on his Nintendo DS. Aw, man. He looked like he needed a friend. Maybe I could talk to...him?

         Off in the corner, staring out what was left of the front window, stood another tall boy, though not as tall as Raz. They looked a lot like each other though. Same mystified look, same bushy eyebrows, same green eyes. Maybe they were brothers? Cousins?

         I decided to sit on the floor until more people began to show up. Not having very much to do and feeling a little bit uncomfortable, I began to trace patterns in the dust on the wood flooring. Movement at the doorway caught my attention.

         A girl rushed into the shack, with scene styled hair and a pretty face. If I was right, she was one of the girls that hung around in Raz’s group. One of the pretty girls at his side, sometimes.

         “Sorry I’m late guys.” Her eyes were blue, almost impossibly blue. I guessed she was a reasonably popular person and had a high reputation with her, but she seemed nice enough. I hadn't worked up the nerve to talk to Luke, the boy with the DS, yet. Though I was thinking about it as I studied this girl. After the boys greeted her cheerily, she promptly tossed her ice cappuccino to the side, on an old tilted coffee table. I returned my attention to the tiny heart I was tracing in the dust, not wanting to be caught sneaking glances at the newcomer.

         Suddenly, a shadow fell over me. “Hey, you, on the floor.” I jerked my head up, realizing the girl was speaking to none other than me. She flashed a smile.

         “What’s up?”

         “Oh, hi, I haven’t seen you before.” I paused, shifting uncomfortably again. I had, I just thought it’d be kind of weird if I said that.

         “Then again, I don’t get out much.” I felt a little stupid saying this. I was sure she thought I was weird. In fact, I knew she did, but she didn’t seem to mind. So, I decided it’d be polite if I introduced myself.

         “My name’s Erin, by the way. What’s yours?”
______________________________

Chapter 6


At Least I'm Here- Krystal


         I plopped onto the couch behind Erin and tried to not look intimidating. I had a tendency of looking too fierce, but hey, I don’t care that often. Yet the petite girl with big brown eyes made me want to make her feel comfortable. As much as I hate acting differently around people, I just couldn’t help myself. I yawned and stretched out onto the couch. I had to lean towards her as she asked me for my name. She was so quiet, I couldn’t help but wonder if she really wanted to come tonight. As if reading my mind, Erin cocked a cheeky grin. “If you couldn’t tell, I don’t really know anyone here.”

         I paused, choosing my words in my mind. I gave a small smile and shrugged my shoulders. “It’s no big deal,” I said, looking over my shoulder to check out who was here. I was half relieved, half disheartened when I saw Raz wasn’t here yet. That’s weird, it was his party wasn’t it? I forced the thought of the boy out of my mind and turned a smile on Erin, who was looking expectantly up at me. “Just act like yourself and everyone will be cool with it.” I cocked my head to the side. “On the other hand, if they give you a nasty look, I can go and beat them up.”

         Erin’s eyes grew bigger, something I thought was not possible, and I just laughed. “Erin, I’m kidding.”

         Her shoulders lost tension and she began to laugh. People in the room looked over at us, I didn’t care. This was a party and they were acting like it was a tea party at Grandma’s. I rolled my eyes at the angry guy that looked at us over his DS.

         “My name’s Krystal, by the way.” I said absently, just remembering that I hadn’t introduced myself. “But you can call me Kryss if you want.”

         Erin fiddled with her dusty fingers. She had so much energy, I noticed. She never stops moving. “I like Krystal.” she said, bowing her head slightly.

         I liked this girl. I liked her a lot.

         A lot of people think that I was pretty high up there on the charts of popularity, but the truth was that I made friends with anyone. I mean, sure, I had closer friends then others, but I've met my fair share of amazing strangers outside of our circle. Looking at Erin, I smiled to myself. You just had to love the bright clash of colors she’s wearing. It said a lot about who she was.

         I told Erin I’d be right back when I started getting thirsty. I strolled back over to the coffee table and picked up my ice cappuccino.

         As I was about to head back over to Erin, I noticed somebody walking over to me. I gave Zeke the standard smile and look. “Hey Zeke. Didn’t see you last night.”

         “Yeah,” He smiled. “Sorry about that, Kryss. I thought about telling you I was going, but I had other things to do.”

         Like Karen, I thought as I faked another smile. “Don’t worry about it.”

         Don’t get me wrong, Zeke was a pretty nice guy overall, but every so often he does things so stupid that it makes you want to shove him in front of an oncoming truck. I doubted that he was really sorry for whatever it was that he did last night, but that was alright. I wouldn’t let that get to me right now.

         I wander over back to Erin, then plunked myself down on the floor. When she gave me a puzzled look, I just smiled at her. “The floor’s more comfortable anyways.”
___________________________________

Chapter 7


Clones in Hamilton?- Star


         I took another turn around the corner, pausing with shock. There, a girl with short and choppy locks of hair, hauling some sort of notebook, was heading towards the suburbs. Without having to register her twice, I knew who she was. No… It couldn't be. Could it? No. It can't.

         “Hey!” I wailed, breaking into a sprint. “Hey!” A sharp cramp began to shift it's way through the curve of my ankle, but I pressed on, ignoring it. I couldn't have that happen now. I couldn't let it slow me down.

         My solid boots pounded on the pavement, almost too heavy for me to lift in mid-flight. Unfortunately, the cramp began to win me over. With a burst of pain, I shuddered to a halt, gulping down air like water. I pressed my lips together, ready to shout again. Finally, the girl turned around, crossing the street. She shot a glance at me over her shoulder, flipped me off, and continued on her way.

         Spencer.

         I quit waving like a maniac, heart stopped. It couldn’t be Spencer. She had a twin, maybe she had more than one? Without running, I began to follow her. Wherever she was going, it was worth it. It was more than worth it.

         A few blocks, six corners, and three alleys later, her destination came into view. The inventation that Zeke had tried to hand me earlier weened it's way into my mind. The shack. Looking at it, the darn thing couldn’t possibly hold a freaken party in it. The grand location had come complete with a yellowed and dried lawn, a single birch tree out front, and a rusted mail box. Not exactly what I'd call fit for a social gathering.

         I stood from a distance, observing the girl as she stopped short from the shack's front steps, then changed course and sat against the wilting birch tree instead. If this girl was Spencer, she would have done exactly that. Spencer absolutely hated large crowds. It wasn't that she was afraid of them, it was simply that she really didn't have the patience. From the tree I was standing behind, I let my interest drift from the girl to the shack. I had to get in there. If Spencer was alive...would the others be, too?

         I felt my shawl fall off my shoulder as I began to advance, but I didn’t bother to pick it up. I’d get it later. My body began to tremble as I strolled past the blonde girl, a carbon copy of Spencer if not her. She glanced up bitterly from her sketch book and gave me an eyeful of daggers before returning to whatever it was she was so importantly drawing. She didn't recognize me. Why? Why didn't she remember me?

         I thought about speaking to her, but instead numbly returned my attention to the front door, which was slightly ajar. With the palm of my hand, I nudged it open, biting my lip. What was I doing? As the door swung open with a groan, I froze.

         A girl, with long black scene hair, icy blue eyes like mine, skinny jeans, and a studded belt was sitting on the floor, clutching an icy. Another girl, with a shirt that declared straws sucked on the front and rainbow socks, was seated next to her. Both of them jumped lightly, startled, when I entered. Then, upon registering me as just another member of the big bash, they handed me light smiles. This was unreal.

         Erin and Krystal...and Spencer?

         “Hey there stranger. Who are you? I haven’t seen you around before?” The girl, who had to be none other than Krystal Lanchester, voiced loudly, causing three boys in the back to cast back stares. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Zeke pull on a delighted smile, happy to see that someone he invited showed up after all. I licked my lips nervously, taking a half step towards Krystal. She hadn't seen me? She doesn’t know me? Erin and Krystal, did they remember each other? They were sitting right squat next to one another.

         “Oh,uh.. hi. Yeah, I’m Star. I just-- heh..” I shrugged, causing Krystal to break into a grin.

         “Hey,” One of the boys drawled, obviously bored. Everyone's attention drifts to a rather tall and sketchy looking kid. He was standing by the door, studying it with faint interest. “This party isn't gonna get much vibe if no one shows. I'm gonna see if I can find any old CD's or something. If anyone needs me, I’ll be in here.”


© Copyright 2009 ~*~Noelle Sapphire~*~ (messykessy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584366-The-Hourglass