*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1585801-Twelve-Steps
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1585801
When all hope is gone you must take life one step at a time.
Twelve Steps

My mind wildly races as dispatch gives me the time of the call. From the front door I can see the dad at the kitchen table  and the boy sitting in his lap. My voice stays controlled and low; eye contact will not be broken. The .45 is now in hand, with that I took a step.



"I can see you're not speaking and for now that's ok. I'm here to help if I can. Let’s start off with one thing clear. I'm here for the boy." With that I took a step.



"I know your life is crashing in and you feel you're out of answers. That's ok, it only means you need help. We can talk this out. It’s not too late," with that I took a step.



"He has your eyes. What is he, five? The only difference I can see is yours are laced with doubt while his are full of life. If this plays out like you have planned, your fate will befall on him," with that I took a step.



"What you need to remember is I want to help, but above all else my purpose is singular. That's to leave here with the boy. If you shift your weight in a way I can not account for or that colt in your hand ceases to hang at your side the talking stops. The stage will be set," with that I took a step.



"I know this feels like the answer to you, but this is a curse that will mark his soul and he will never be the same. Whether it be by your hand or mine hate will consume what grief leaves behind," with that I took a step.



Unaware of the drama unfolding the restless five-year-old jumps down to pick up a hot wheel. "Look at him; he stands before you without a clue. Do you really want to open his eyes to all that is evil," with that I took a step.



I notice the vicious marks scribbled in the help wanted section of the paper. "Jobs can be replaced, prescriptions renewed, love may come and go, but this child here is part of your soul," with that I took a step.



"Rise above your pain, trust me to do what's right and all three of us can walk out of here tonight," with that I took a step.



His eyes were burning deeply as he consumed every word. I was close enough to see a single tear forming, and with that I took a step without speaking a single word.



My hand reached to his, the revolver now in my hand. A smile covered his lips; his tears now free to fall. "Dispatch call ahead to Laureate Care Center have them set up a room, I'll be en route one time," and with that a nerve settling  step.



I turn to the boy and smile. "Now Bobby, how about we go outside, your grandma can't wait to see you," and with that the three of us took a step.


© Copyright 2009 Cherrie (cherriepalmer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1585801-Twelve-Steps