*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587438-The-Cat-The-Dog-and-The-Squirrel
by Greg
Rated: · Draft · Children's · #1587438
This story based on my poem; "A Cat, A Dog, and A Squirrel
This is the story of a cat, a dog, and a squirrel. The cat’s name is Gracie, the dog is named Gladys, and the squirrel, well let’s just call him Squirrel. Because, squirrels really don’t have names. They are just that type if you know what I mean. Gracie just loved to sit in her window and watch the fun outside. When she went outside she nibbled on grass, looked at all the birds, the squirrels, and Gladys the dog.
One bright sunny day Gladys went up to Squirrel who ran up a tree because he was afraid of her. Gladys said, “Hello, my name is Gladys I want to be your friend. Can we play on this bright sunny day?” Squirrel, who all his life had been taught that dogs and cats were something to be afraid of said, “Well, I don’t know, my mommy told me to stay away from cats and dogs they are mean.” Gladys said, “Well, I might run and bark but I am really a nice little dog, I just want to play with you I won’t hurt you. Please let’s be friends.” Slowly Squirrel climbs down from the tree but then runs back up and says to Gladys; “I will only play with you today if the cat will play as well. I see that cat everyday looking out that window and wanting to come out but cannot. When she does she nibbles on the grass and thinks about chasing us squirrels I just know it. If you can persuade her to play then I will play with you too. So now run along, I’m ready for my lunch and a nap.”
Well, Gladys thought; “Well how about that, I try to be nice and that squirrel tells me to go away. And on top of that, I have to go visit that cat! She may scratch my nose. I know cats like to do that you know.” Gladys really wanted to show Squirrel that dogs were nice, and that if she was going to do that she also needed to convince Squirrel that cats were nice too.
Gladys runs over to the window where Gracie looked out of at the world and barked to get her attention. Well, Gracie was just finishing having some of her favorite crunchy treats and was really sleepy and wanted to climb in her napping box and sleep. However, she decided to go see what all this barking was about. Cats have to know everything you know, that is just the way they are. Gracie went to her window and there was Gladys at the window. Gladys said; “Hello, I know we have not been properly introduced, but my name is Gladys and I want to be your friend. I know you are a cat and I am a dog and we really shouldn’t like each other, but I am willing to try if you will too.” Gracie figured this dog was up to something and said, “Well, my name is Gracie and I am very cute because I am told that every day. So, what good is it to me to be your friend? Besides I don’t go outside except to eat grass, chase leaves and do other cute things. Being a friend with a dog might not be cute, if you know what I mean. Really you’re too little to really be a dog right? You just sound like one, but you are really just a big rat right?” Gladys didn’t know whether the cat was being nice or being mean but she went along with this game.
“Well, I bark like a dog see listen; “woof, woof” now that’s what a dog sounds like. I wag my tail see, look at me wag my tail. I jump up and down like a dog; look at how high I can jump. So does that prove to you I am a dog?” Well, Gracie thought for a minute and said, “Yes, I guess you are a dog, not a rat so what do you want from me dog? Oh by the way what did you say your name was again I forgot?” “Gladys, my name is Gladys don’t you remember?” Gladys was thinking this was becoming quite annoying dealing with this cat that seemed to be quite amused by her antics. Also she heard Squirrel laughing at her from the tree. “I came over here to ask you to play with us on this bright sunny day.” “Who is us?” asked Gracie who was getting sleepy again after all of this talk and was thinking about a nap. Besides she was too cute to be seen with just anyone you know. Gladys really starting to think this was a waste of time said to her. “My friend Squirrel and me that’s who.” “Well, why should I play with you Gladys? You’re a dog, and I’m a cat and besides I’m cuter than you everyone knows that.” Gracie replied. “Because Squirrel and I want to be your friend, and you may be cute which we won’t deny but wouldn’t you like to be our friend.” Gladys answered back. Gracie thought about this for a minute. “Would being their friend and playing with a dog and a squirrel really take away from my cuteness? Well, okay just for a little bit. I need to tell my owner I want out.”
So Gracie being as cute as she is got the attention of her owner and was allowed out to play. Well, wouldn’t you know it down from the tree came Squirrel, and around the corner came Gladys barking very happy that she succeeded in getting everyone out to play on this bright sunny day. Gladys introduced Squirrel to Gracie, and Gracie to Squirrel. Gracie started nibbling on grass and said to them “What are we going to play?”
Well, Gladys looked at Squirrel, Squirrel looked at Gladys, and everyone looked at Gracie and they all said together. “We don’t know because cats, dogs and squirrels don’t play together because we weren’t made that way. Well, let’s make something up.” Gracie said, “Let’s play speed climb. Who can climb this tree fastest?” Squirrel thought that would be fun because he lives in trees and knows all the shortcuts. However, they didn’t know Gladys couldn’t climb the tree. You see dogs don’t climb trees like cats and squirrels can. So that game was out. Gladys suggested a game of who could dig the biggest hole. But that game didn’t work out either because cats don’t dig holes, well they do but for one thing only. So they didn’t play that. Squirrel suggested a race around the house. Now that everyone could do. Cats run, dogs run, and squirrels run too. So off they ran around the house as fast as they could; first Gracie, then Squirrel, then Gladys. Then Gladys, Squirrel and Gracie finally on the last lap Squirrel won. How Squirrel won no one really knew maybe Gracie and Gladys let Squirrel win which is probably how it really was because Squirrel is smaller then them and it was only fair.
All the while everyone in the neighborhood came out to watch and everyone asked men, women, boys and girls; “how is it that a cat, a dog and a squirrel can all play together on this bright sunny day?”
Gracie, Gladys, and Squirrel realized that they had attracted a crowd, and they stopped. Gracie ran home because she didn’t know who the people were, Gladys barked at everyone for dogs do that and Squirrel, well he ran up a tree and started chattering in squirrel talk at everyone. They didn’t understand why everyone was watching them. What a fun way to spend part of this bright sunny day everyone said. That cat, dog, and squirrel looked so cute playing together.
Back home Gracie decided that playing with Gladys and Squirrel was really quite fun and made her seem just so extra cute. Now though she was ready for some treats, a drink of water and finally a nap which is what she wanted to do for quite awhile. Gladys went home quite content to show that a cat, a dog and a squirrel could be friends. She went home, ate a ham sandwich left alone on the kitchen table, found a quiet spot and took a nap also. As for Squirrel well he found a limb on the tree ate a peanut or two and took a nap too. Could this be end of our story? Well, not really because each one while napping began to play together again.
© Copyright 2009 Greg (gregreed at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587438-The-Cat-The-Dog-and-The-Squirrel