*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587516-Exploring-the-Working-and-Guardian-Dogs
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Column · Animal · #1587516
Useful and fun information about dogs
This dog group has an interesting variety of dogs.  These dogs are listed under one group with the AKC as the Working Group.  The UKC lists these dogs under the Guardian and Northern Breed Groups.

Some of the Working, Guardian and Northern Breeds that fall in these groups are the Akita, the Boxer, the Mastiff, the Bermese Mountain Dog, the Great Pyrenees Mountain Dog, the Newfoundland, the Spitz, the Eskimo Dogs (both American and Canadian), the Rottweiler and the St. Bernard among many, many others.

The Working, Guardian and Northern Breeds were bred to perform various jobs such as guarding property, pulling sleds and performing land and water rescues. 

Upon reviewing the Working and Guardian dogs, it is often that some of these came from farm life near livestock.  It is quick to note that these dogs are NOT Herding dogs and do not “herd” the flock, but rather guard the flock.

Due to this guarding nature, it is common to train the Working and Guardian dogs for more modern-day guard work.  It is not uncommon to see a Doberman Pinscher used as a guard dog for a person, personal property or a place of business from the public.  In this instance, caution is recommended before using a dog of this type as a guard dog.
Proper evaluation and training is recommended before assigning a Working or Guardian dog to guard duty.

Most of the pure Working and Guardian dogs have a sound temperament and the natural instinct to discriminate and will not use force against anything except a “true threat”.  Irresponsible and mixed breeding can cause the loss of soundness and the absence of the discriminating instinct.  Without these characteristics, the dog is unable to determine a “true threat” from an innocent passerby.  A Working and Guard dog that has been irresponsibly bred  can have bazaar behavior problems, causing them to be extremely dangerous, through no fault of their own, but dangerous just the same.

Some of the Northern breeds are commonly known as “sled dogs”.  These are powerful dogs that work compatibly in teams pulling a sled with a heavy load, running very long distances for very long periods of time over snow and ice.  Other Northern Breeds are rescue dogs.  Both are valuable companions in the Arctic Regions of the world. 

Although the Northern breeds have an increase in popularity in the Southern Regions of the United States, research on these breeds and breeders is recommended before purchasing.  The Northern Breeds have a tendency to be nomadic and it can be difficult to socialize them.  They also require cautious care in warm weather and heavy coat maintenance, in addition to moderate to strenuous exercise and the mental stimulation of a job.

The Portuguese Water Dog has recently made quite a spectacle in the news.  The world recently waited in anticipation for the first introduction to “Bo”, the Portuguese Water Dog that was chosen by the current United States President, Barrack Obama and his family as their first family pet after taking up residence in The White House.  This is a beautiful dog with a curly coat.

The Portuguese Water Dog has been a prize along the coast of Portugal for centuries.  They are known for their strength, spirit and soundness.  They were bred to accompany fisherman on their fishing boats.  They carried messages from boat to shore and can swim for many hours without tiring.  They are excellent divers and were used to retrieve broken fishing nets, as well as dive for fish.  They also served as a guard dog on the boat in foreign ports.

It is understandable to be smitten with the lovely Portuguese Water Dog.  For those who desire to purchase a Portuguese Water Dog, as always, research on the breed and breeder is recommended.  They do require regular exercise and the mental stimulation of having a job.  Although they are non-shedding, their coat requires extensive maintenance and grooming, as it grows the same as human hair.  They are also thought to be hypo-allergenic, however, there is no scientific evidence that a hypo-allergenic dog exists.

When considering any dog of the Working, Guardian or Northern Breed group, research is highly recommended.  Due to the size and physical abilities of most of these dogs, they are not recommended as a family pet for most households.  The characteristics mentioned above are good reasons to research thoroughly before purchasing a Working, Guardian or Northern Breed.












© Copyright 2009 Doglover (cspencer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587516-Exploring-the-Working-and-Guardian-Dogs