*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587643-Safe-Living-for-the-Whole-Family
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1587643
Safety tips for everyone in your family
Many people are unaware of the many dangers that face themselves and their children.

As an R.N., BSN, and Sociologist, I have encountered numerous patients and their families.

Here are a few pointers for a safer family life. I will be using this part in my book which I hope to publish by traditional publisher.

When you come home with your newborn baby, ensure that she/he is placed on her side or back, and have the head elevated on an ADULT pillow, with the head of the mattress supported up at a 45 degree angle, using a blanket or towel. This will prevent your infant from choking if she begins to vomit. Also, it helps to prevent SIDS.

For the first couple of months, be sure you keep your baby within sight and hearing range, at all times. Many times, a baby will utter a soft "ungh!". This may indicate your infant has vomited, and it is important to ensure that she does not choke. If your baby has vomited, pick her up, and gently use a bulb syringe, if necessary, to clean out her nostrils and mouth.

Another major part of infant and older baby safety is water!! NEVER leave your baby alone in the bathtub, sink, or pool!!! I have heard of one mother who instructed her 3 year old and 4 year old children to watch their sibling - who was 1 year old in their pool. Sadly, the 1 year old infant drowned. Also, DON'T assume your older children are capable of watching the younger children.

As a child begins to mature physically and mentally, she will begin to crawl and explore her surroundings. Make sure all your outlets have the special childproof socket guards. Even with these safety devices, follow your child as she crawls. If she starts to touch the socket, even with the guard in place, stop her!!! Chances are, her fingers are wet from sucking on them, and she may experience an electrical shock.

Another area of concern, is to view your baby's world from her perspective. When my two daughters were babies, I crawled around with them, and discovered a host of potential fatal areas.

One of them, is under the kitchen sink. I put all my pots and pans there, and stored all my cleaning products UP HIGH on a SHELF, and put a hook on the door, to prevent my daughter from accidentally poisoning herself.

Now, there are special hooks which parents can apply to their doorknobs of the cabinets, to prevent their child from opening the cupboard. However, don't assume that your child won't find a way to bypass the safety locks, and manage to open the door. Keep all your dangerous cleaning supplies up high, no matter what other safety precautions you take.

Another area of danger is falls. As your infant begins to crawl, climb, and attempt to walk, she becomes a high risk for hitting her head on sharp or hard objects. Examples are the hearth, or step around the fireplace, heating units - if they are metal, and are near the floor.

To prevent a disaster, I simply applied a couple of layers of blankets and quilts on top of the hearth, and ensured that the corners were covered, as well. To prevent my children from hurting themselves on the heating units, I placed heavy furniture in front of them, and kept a very watchful eye on my children.

As your child begins to walk, she will wander away in excitement and curiosity. Many parents walk on ahead, and don't bother to watch their child. This is UNSAFE!! Your baby could easily wander into the street, or parking lot, and get hit. If you are able to use a wrist or vest restraint, I urge you to use one. This is NOT cruelty, especially if the restraint is not so tight as to leave impressions in the skin or cut off circulation. Instead, this adds a certain measure of freedom to your child, and ensures her safety.

Always walk behind your child, and be alert for other children on skates or bikes, who may not see your toddler. You can pick your child up in an instant, and protect her from unwitting accidents.

This is a small step toward ensuring the safety of your infants and young children.

Joan M. Enering, R.N., BSN
reflexologist
© Copyright 2009 whitestar (reflexologist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587643-Safe-Living-for-the-Whole-Family