*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587807-Meeting-Your-Making-not-finished
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1587807
Attempt at humor. A god's mistake and how he plans to fix it.
“If you’re looking for a knight in shining armor, I hate to say it, but you missed the mark by…oh...more than a thousand years.” Smiling with false understanding, he nodded encouragingly and added, “S’alright. Could happen to anyone, I’m sure.”

The too loud, borderline rude Voice sounded unconsciously chagrined as It grated out ungratefully, ‘NO. DARK AND LIGHT ARE IN AGREEMENT. IT IS SAID THAT THE SAVIOR WILL BE A HERO IN UNLIKELY TIMES, WILLING TO GIVE UP HIS LIFE TO PROTECT THOSE AROUND HIM. THAT IS YOU.’

Jimmy thought about it for a second and then started shaking his head. “Nope, you’re still wrong. That doesn’t sound like me at all.”

Miffed, It replied, ‘QUIET, EARTH-MAN. IT IS MOST DEFINITELY YOU.’

“No, its not.”

‘IT IS. YOU SAVED A LIFE AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR OWN. EVERYTHING FITS.’ Allowing no room for argument, The Voice nodded…though how Jimmy could tell, without being able to see anything anywhere around him, he wasn’t sure. It wasn’t something he wanted to dwell on, though, because it would likely only confuse him even more thoroughly.

“Actually, the thing is…what I mean is that I wasn’t exactly…well…” Jimmy sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Realizing how pointless the gesture was, since of course he didn’t have hair at the moment or even actual hands, he sighed again and then cringed as he spat out, “The thing is, I don’t really know why I did it. I certainly didn’t want to die and wasn’t particularly interested in the whole ‘hero’ thing. I’m more comfortable just being normal, if you get what I mean. And I didn’t know her or anything, so its not like I had any reason to do it…” He scuffed his shoe on what he figured must be the equivalent of a floor, a little dismayed at how his statement must sound.

Pondering his statement, The Voice remained silent for a moment. Then, quietly, It muttered, ‘BUGGER.’ Jimmy brightened at the familiar word.

“Does this mean you’re going to send me home again?” he asked, hopefully. It hadn’t occurred to him yet that home was probably at this moment being planted 6 feet below.

Now uncertain, The Voice coughed uncomfortably, said, ‘WAIT HERE, EARTHLING. THIS WILL BE SORTED OUT IN DUE COURSE,’ and then vanished, leaving Jimmy completely alone in the empty void.

“Oh, great, that’s wonderful. Sure, you go ahead and leave me here alone. I’ll be fine with absolutely nothing to do and no place to go. But hey, thanks for the thought.” Muttering, he rolled his eyes at the blankness, subconsciously hoping to run into someone, anyone, in the white space.

© Copyright 2009 StarGazer (stargazer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1587807-Meeting-Your-Making-not-finished