*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588109-Higher-Calling
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1588109
Ellen is in a car crash. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: bruise, mirror, float

Higher Calling

The world became a quiet, peaceful place. All fears fled her consciousness, leaving only a bit of memory, like an empty computer file labeled “Negative Emotions.” Ellen could feel herself float weightlessly over the still-life intersection. Nothing moved save her own point of view.

Interesting, she thought as she flexed her newly found perspective. With a thought, she could make the scene jump forward a few frames. There were people all around. The expressions on their faces showed fear and concern mixed with a definite sense of urgency.

Ellen zoomed in to get a better look. Floating over the crushed cars, she came upon a crowd kneeling around something. As she scrolled forward in time, she could see they were working hard on an apparent victim. There was no surprise when she saw it was her.

The body that had been hers was in pretty bad shape. She could see a large bruise starting to form on her face as they struggled to revive her. They need not have bothered; she had no intention of going back.

She could see her car a short distance away. Something pulled her towards it and she soon found herself seated in the recently vacated driver’s seat. There was no memory of the actual event but she could see the window that she must have been thrown through.

Ellen was ready to go, to move on to whatever was next when she happened to look at the rearview mirror and saw …

The noise was deafening as Ellen struggled to understand what was happening. She heard a voice say, “I think she is coming around.”

A face loomed over her and said, “You have been in an accident. The ambulance is on its way. Hang in there. We have your baby. She is fine.”

Word count 300
© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588109-Higher-Calling