*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588411-Right-of-Way-Chapter-1
by Jinx
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1588411
Charlie is a collage girl who thinks she is living a normal life. Is she?
"I'm not that bad!" I yell jokingly as I pack my vacation bag. "Oh yeah?! Tell that to my mum!" Jessica laughed from the bathroom. I looked quickly once again for my plane ticket, I seem to think it just winders off at it's own accord. "I seriously don't know what I've done to her but that's the last Sunday lunch I'm spending at your house!" I giggle. "Anyway, we better go before we miss our flight..." I pause then giggle again. "For the 3rd time." "Oh be quiet." Jessica winked as she left the bathroom and put on her coat. Her impeccably straight, black waist length hair rested in the fluffy rimmed hood of her pristine white coat. Her pale skinned complexion suited her short plaid purple dress, with fishnet tights and knee high black high boots. It’s not surprising that she’s so popular with guys. Yet she can’t stand to be with anyone other than herself and me. “You got everything?” She turns around to say. “Yeah I think, one little suitcase fits me fine.” I smile, pick up my case and grab my coat on my way out the apartment door. Jessica taps the lift button and I try and put my wavy red hair in a quick pony tail. Moments later the lift door opens and I see a tall, very handsome male, with blonde short hair that seems to stand on end. He wore black sunglasses and a long black coat. His arms crossed and leaning with his back up against the lift staring what looked like straight ahead, but how was I to know where his eyes were actually lingering. I entered the lift with Jessica and tried to start a casual conversation with her to take my mind off the handsome, mysterious bloke behind me. “Did you call a taxi? I forgot to ask.” I say nervously to her. “Of course I did! Who do you take me for.” She laughs. So nice to hear her laugh, it’s so calming. Like home. “Wow, long journey ahead of us.” I say as the lift doors close and we travel down. Which made me wonder. The stranger in black was already in the lift, but, we were on the top floor. It seems a bit pointless to travel up here and back down for no reason. As we reach ground floor and the doors open we exit into the ongoing crowd of people, and no doubt, there was the taxi waiting for us. Jessica smiled at me and opened the door. I look back through the glass doors of the apartment building and see the black stranger, still in the lift, same position. As the doors of the lift close I notice him turn his head towards me. Jessica closed the opposite door and I felt her tug on my jacket. “What you staring at?” I turn to her and shrug. “Just wondering where all these people come from yeah.” I look back and the lift was on it’s way back up the shaft and out of sight. “Strange man that was...” I head Jessica say from behind me. “Yeah.” I reply, still staring at the lift door. The car pulls away.



The airport was a hectic place. The constant knocks into people were now leaving bruises on my shoulders. My desire to just get on the plane was growing stronger and more inpatient as the clock struck every 15 minutes. And when the time did eventually come to get into our seats, someone had taken them. Searching around for two seats on a crowded plane was stage seventeen in the never-ending list of things to do at the beginning of this already nightmarish holiday. Finally we found a small row of 3 empty seats, so we sat, not caring of they belonged to anyone else. I sat in the middle and Jess sat near the window. She was rummaging around in one of her big supply of bags, as I just watches people come on board and complain about one thing or another to a short little air hostess. Feeling already bored I took my iPod out my pocket and select a random song to pass the time. Only minuets later I felt a hand on my shoulder. I take my earphones out and look up, and once again, there he was. Blonde haired bloke with dark specs on. I look stunned for a second then muster up a smile. Is he following us? No, no. I’m just being paranoid. “Y-yes?” I stumble. “Can I help you sir?” The blond slowly takes off his glasses and flashes a stunning smile at me. His perfect purl teeth shimmered in the sunlight that shone through the plane window, he had bright, flawless emerald green eyes, I’d never seen eyes so green in my life. I couldn’t help but stare. He too had pale skin, a face made so perfectly. “Is it alright if I join you Miss? Someone seems to have taken my seat.” He turned a little and pointed in a direction away from us. I looked. It appears to be the seat where me and Jess where supposed to be seated. “Oh wow, sure thing sir. Someone right over there also took me and my friends’ seat too. So go ahead, you’re more than welcome.” I smile in return. He nods and takes off his long, floor length black coat. Before he sits down he takes his seat he waves a hostess over to us. “Do you want a drink before we take off Miss?” He smiles again at me and leans down to whisper. “Don’t worry I’ll pay.” He then looks over to Jess. “Hi there, want a drink before we take off?” He offers again, Jessica looks a bit lost for a moment. She looked at me. I smile at her. “Sure.” She looks up at him then smiles. “I’ll have just water please.” I turn back to him. “Apple juice for me.” I smile and thank him. He takes his seat and hooks his sunglasses over the collar of his white T-shirt. “I’m Karl Berlin, nice to meet you.” He said with a smile. He reaches his hand over for a shake. “Well nice to meet you Karl, I’m Charlie Mae, just call me Jinx and this is Jessica Flinch bet everyone calls her Jess.” I say looking over at her. Wandering what he was doing here was not my concern anymore. I started a friendly chat with him. It was briefly cut off by the jumpy take off of the plane but continued for most of the way to Greece. “So what makes you want to go to Greece?” He asked casually, passing a glass of water to Jess. “Oh well, Jessica’s mother lives in Greece and it’s her birthday tomorrow. You?” I smile, but he just shrugs. “I guess it was just a random holiday I wanted.” He looked at me blankly. “But hey, Greece should be nice.” He then smiled.



As the plane landed I closed my eyes and swallowed back that horrible popping feeling my ears always make. When I opened my eyes, I turned to look at Karl but him, along with all of his belongings, which coming to think of it was nothing but his coat, were gone. I look confused but turn towards Jessica, who was now asleep, I didn’t notice that either. I poke her. “Hey, hey wake up lazy, we’re here!” I giggle a little. “Oh yeah, did you see Karl leave? He just seemed to vanish.” Jess looked at me with  heavy eyes and shrugs, a little annoyed. “I was having such a good dream. You moved out my apartment.” She giggles and I pretended to be offended and hit her playfully. We got off the plane and got a taxi to our booked Hotel and I was constantly looking around for him but no sign. It’s like he never existed.

© Copyright 2009 Jinx (chainflames at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588411-Right-of-Way-Chapter-1