*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588962-The-Box
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Mystery · #1588962
What will Jerry find in the box he didn't mean to buy?
I had no idea how it happened. One minute I was stood talking to my friend, explaining to him how I’d managed to fall down a flight of stairs, next thing I heard:

“And it goes to the man in the blue shirt, congratulations.” The voice blared over the tannoy, monotone and droning.

I turned to look at the old man who was pointing at me with a small wooden hammer. I frowned and looked at my friend.

“Why is he pointing at me?” I asked Jimmy, gesturing my hands against my chest.

“I think you just bought that box.”

“What box? I didn’t bid!” I felt my anger rise.

At the end of proceedings I approached the man stood behind the stand. He smiled at me, “Hello Sir, and how would you like to make your purchase?” He leered down at me.

“I didn’t purchase that item, I don’t want it.” I tried to explain, keeping my voice level.

“Sir I’m afraid you have entered a binding contract and it must now be paid for.”

“I didn’t even bid on it!” I threw my hands in the air, I was getting frustrated.

“I saw you waving your hands in the air.” He explained.

“But I was just telling a story.”

“I am an auctioneer, I saw your hand waving; to me that is a bid.” He began to raise his voice, clearly annoyed with me.

“But-” I stopped and took in what he had just said. He was right and I knew that I would have to pay for it. “Okay, fine. Where do I pay?”

He pointed me to a booth at the back of the hall with a smug smile on his face, “You can collect your purchase there. It is available to take home immediately.”

I gave him one last look and refrained from saying anything for fear of exploding in anger. I stalked to the small stall where I paid with my credit card; there was no way my current account could cover it. After I made my purchase the woman who served me handed over a wooden box. I thanked her and left, finding Jimmy outside waiting for me.

“What’s that then?” He smirked, finding the whole situation ultimately hilarious.

“I don’t know,” I huffed, tucking it under my arm. “I’m going home, you coming?”

“Sure, I’ll grab some cans on the way.”

We stopped off at the local shop and soon reached my flat in all of its small familiarity. I slid the box onto my sitting room table and popped open a can that Jimmy passed me. It tasted nice and cool.

Flopping onto the sofa I soon forgot about the box that sat in front of me and absorbed myself in the football game on the TV in front of me, occasionally grunting in outrage.

“What is it anyway?” Jimmy asked just after the game ended.

“What?” I was confused.

“The box.”

“Oh, I don’t know.” It now had my attention. It was about half a foot tall, square in shape. It was made of a polished solid wood, mahogany I guessed. I picked it up and examined the intricate gold pattern engraved on the lid. It shone in the dim light of my dark flat. I felt my intrigue grow as it glinted.

“Open it.” Jimmy roused me.

“What? Oh.” There was something about this box that really caught my attention. “Yeah.”

I wetted my lips with my tongue and felt my breath escape my lips in ragged intervals.

What is it?

I set it down on my lap, feeling the weight, heavy and comfortable on my thighs. Gingerly I ran my fingers along the edge of the lid and slowly pulled it upwards. It gave easily and came off in my hands. I gaped as I saw what lay inside of the box.

Another box. Exactly identical, only smaller.

I looked at Jimmy. He urged me on with his eyes, excited as I was.

I lifted the smaller box out and set it in place, running my fingers over the engraved lid, feeling the small swirls denting against my fingers. I prised the lid off, not sure what to expect this time. The fact that another box greeted me didn’t entirely surprise me.

This time I simply lifted it out and began opening it without so much as a glance at Jimmy.

I wetted my lips again, feeling nervous.

Surely there can’t be more boxes?

Slowly, in anticipation I lifted the lid off the third box. Inside of this box there was not another. Instead, a long gold key lay upon a red velvet cushion, shiny and glimmering in the lamp light.

I lifted it out gently, expecting it to be delicate. It was heavy where it rested on my palm. A small red stone was set into the top of the key sparkling gently. The key itself was intricate with lots of dips and furrows. I’d never seen one like it.

“What do you think it’s for?” I heard Jimmy’s voice from beside me, clumsy and breaking the spell.

I shook my head. Something still lay in the box; white beneath the cushion. I gently lifted it careful not to rip it. I unfolded the paper and read the inscription:

Welcome Treasure Hunter,

The price you have paid will be nothing compared to the riches you will find if you follow your heart with this key. Seek out the dancing pony underneath a new moon, but be wary of strangers, they hope to hinder you. Your starting point isn’t far from your flat Jerry, be there by 24 August or you will miss your chance.


I looked at Jimmy, his mouth hung open, “They know your name!”

I felt a sense of purpose as my mind began to tick. I knew I was destined for bigger things, knew there was something for me in life outside of this flat. I slept with a dancing pony on my mind.


Word Count - 1000
© Copyright 2009 blue jellybaby (joanne4eva at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1588962-The-Box