*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1590331-South-of-Broad-by-Pat-Conroy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dindy
Rated: E · Other · Drama · #1590331
The 14 year wait is over, Pat Conroy publishes South of Broad. Manners, mayhem and love.
Cities are usually the backdrops in a novel contributing to the context and establishing character traits in relation to location.  In Pat Conroy’s long awaited South of Broad, Charleston, South Carolina is the star, warts and all.  The writing is sumptuous, delicate and yet raw in handling the subject matter, a hallmark of Conroy’s novels.  The story and its characters ring true through his use of weighty true-to-life events of the 70s, 80s and 90s, such as discrimination based on class and race in the South, sexual abuse, suicide, the destructive effects of Hurricane Hugo on Charleston and the AIDS epidemic. 

Charleston may be toured in one day though it would be a cursory visit missing the culture, many layered society and history of this town that is a scant 7.34 square miles.  South of Broad references James Joyce’s Ulysses, a novel that takes place in a 24-hour period, the same time frame it will take the reader to surrender to this extraordinary tale.  The protagonist in Conroy’s first novel in 14 years is Leopold Bloom King, named for the central character in Ulysses.  His mother, Lindsay, principal of the public High School in Charleston, is a published Joycean scholar.

South of Broad begins on June 16, 1969 marking the 47th year since the publication of Ulysses, an annual celebration by Joyce fans known as Bloomsday.  The storyline evolves from events that occur on this day.  Unlikely friendships that last a lifetime are formed.  Leo learns that his mother was a Roman Catholic nun, new neighbors move in across the street and a drug bust takes place.

Leo King is 18 years old and as part of his redemption for possession of cocaine (holding it for a friend but never ratting him out) is in the form of community service tending to antique dealer Harrington Canon and delivering newspapers to Charleston’s elite.  King’s daily delivery route is Conroy’s method for introducing and exploring the stunning streets of Charleston, its glorious architecture and well-tended gardens.  The early morning rides permit Leo’s internal dialogue to introduce readers to the residents of Charleston along with his current state of mind.

The family and friends of King all have distinct roles and personalities intertwining with each other in expanding and contracting relationships as the book develops.  Quirkiness and adherence to the social mores of Charleston are observed and broken among Leo, twins Shena and Trevor Poe, orphans Starla and Niles Whitehead, the elegantly wealthy rarefied high society types only found in the South Chad and Fraser Rutledge and Molly Huger, Ike a football star and son of the new but not well-welcomed Coach Jefferson and Betty, fated to be Ike’s wife.  In a flash Leo gathers these people to him and has a pronounced effect on their lives as they upon his.  Leo moves from being a loner riddled with questions and guilt to the focal point that coalesces this divergent group.

Jasper King, Leo’s father, is the most sympathetic and loving father figure that Mr. Conroy has ever created.  Jasper eschews the southern stereotypes and passes this on to his son.  He shares bits of his past with Leo as they become relevant to the stage of Leo’s life and is the one encouraging force in Leo’s life until that world churning June day of 1969.  Jasper and Lindsay’s love story presents Leo with a side of his mother he’s never known and a generosity of spirit toward the woman who has both neglected and belittled Leo since the unexplained suicide of Steve, her first-born son, Leo’s best friend and protector.  Steve’s suicide runs as a disturbing undercurrent in Leo’s life and creates a depression so deep that he serves two stints in a mental hospital. 

Conroy does explain the driving forces for the suicide but to unveil it here would be unfair to the reader as with so many other compelling back stories of the characters.  All of which are ultimately resolved in surprising, disturbing and yet highly readable manner.  It would seem with such a wealth of characters that the reader could get lost but each is so finely drawn by Conroy.  He creates a unique voice, appearance, standing within society and individual ethics and morals that the reader comes to know the characters as if they resided in the same hybrid southern town.

Supporting roles including Coach Jefferson, Evangeline Poe, the maniacal father of Shena and Trevor, Dr. Criddle, whom Leo credits with restoring his sanity and Harrington Canon who changes the course of Leo’s life are also given enough clarity of character by Conroy.  Monsignor Max is perhaps the biggest surprise of all of these secondary roles, again a tale best left to unfold in the book.

South of Broad is a big juicy read that Southerners will relate to with a knowing nod.  For those of the East and West coasts, and towns in between, Conroy provides a deftly developed glimpse into a rarified portion of the United States that acts as if it indeed seceded from the Union.  Conroy’s new novel is a love letter to Charleston and a story of undying, unrequited yet sometimes fulfilling romance.

About the Author

Pat Conroy (www.patconroy.com) has authored 8 books prior to South of Broad including The Great Santini, The Prince of Tides (more than 5 million copies are in print), Beach Music and The Pat Conroy Cookbook: Recipes of My Life.  Through his novels, Conroy has revealed his real-life heart-wrenching family secrets of abuse, his love of Southern cities and his alma mater, The Citadel Military Academy in Charleston.  Born in Atlanta, Georgia, Conroy currently resides in Fripp Island, South Carolina with his wife, the novelist Cassandra King.

South of Broad
Author: Pat Conroy
ISBN: 978-0-385-53224-2
Publisher: Nan A. Talese
© Copyright 2009 Dindy (dindy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1590331-South-of-Broad-by-Pat-Conroy