*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1590859-Cold-Black-Dawn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ghost
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1590859
A failed relationship comes to mind...
Cold Black Dawn

By: Seth Hanson
as I headed down I-24 at 4 o’clock in the morning, my thoughts drifted. Back to you, to our failed relationship. Or should I say “relationships.” Not really surprised at that. It’s where my mind always turns when I am depressed, angry, or at any other time. Even though, right at that moment I hated your guts, I couldn’t stop thinking about you. This is always how it was, is, and hopefully will not be. Every time I think about you, butterflies form in my stomach, along with the bile.

My eyes narrow at the thought of how we broke up. Found another guy, my ass. You just found out that you couldn’t use me anymore. Unconsciously, my foot presses the pedal further and further down. I finally take notice of the increasing whine of my volvo’s engine. I look down to see that I am going about 110. In a 70. Shit. I better slow down before…

All of a sudden, blue lights start flashing in my mirror. “Fuck!!!!” I shout. I pull over to the shoulder, and turn off my car. Today could not get any worse. I see the shadow of the cop start walking towards me in my rear view mirror. I roll down my window, ready to face the music.

But, instead of the usual bullshit of “Do you know how fast you were going?”, I heard, “Why, hello, Alex.” FUCK!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe my luck. Who else pulls me over but you of all people. You. The only person I truly want to kill right now pulls me over. You. My hated enemy.

You notice my expression of distaste, and your face falls. What else did you expect? You look down, saying only “you forgot your phone.” You hand me my cell, and walk off. Weird. For a second there, I thought you were going to write me a ticket, or yell at me, or something like that…

Then I notice a piece of paper in the phone’s embrace. I pull it out as you drive off. I open it to find a letter. It says:

Dear Alex,
I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything I have done to you. I didn’t find someone else, like I told you I did. In fact, I still love you. But, every time we go out, one of us gets hurt, usually you. I don’t want to have your death on my hands, like what almost happened last time. I don’t want to hurt you again. That is why I broke up with you. It was a mistake. Please forgive me. If you do manage that, meet me back at my place.
--Brittany


Huh. So that’s how it is. All I have to do is turn around and meet you at your house, after all the bullshit you put me through…

I look back, towards the home that is not a home anymore. I chuckle mirthlessly.
Starting the car, I head off, back to where I was going, leaving you behind, heading into the cold black dawn.
© Copyright 2009 ghost (seththaevilone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1590859-Cold-Black-Dawn