*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1591669-Single
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1591669
Encouragement for those who the Lord has called to remain single.
Single people who are Christians are special to God. But, in some cases the church can make the single life a difficult situation to be in. Most activities are centered around a family situation.

There are many reasons that people are single. Circumstances such as not finding the right person to marry. God takes marriage seriously - so it is best to wait until you find someone who you will spend the rest of your life with. Other reasons include divorce and being widowed.

The most important reason to be single is because it is God's plan for you to be single. Matthew 19:11-12 "Jesus replied, Not everyone can accept this word, but only to those whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." (NIV) Singleness should be considered a gift from God. Paul considered being single a gift from God as shown in: I Corinthians 7:7-9 "I wish that all men were as I am. But, each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say : It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But, if they cannot control themselves they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." (NIV)

In the single life you must keep yourself pure and free from sexual immorality. If your heart and mind is pure before the Lord - then continue serving the Lord and ignore the gossip. Living the single life can be done with purity - the energy and thoughts that might lead to sexual immorality must be used in a more constructive way. Some suggested ways of using this energy would be: Praying, reading your bible, exercise and volunteering to help others.

I believe in future times of persecution the single life will be the best choice.

I Corinthians 7:25-28 "Now, about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy. Because of the present crisis, I think it is good for you to remain as you are. Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife. But, if you do marry you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But, those who marry will face many troubles in this life and I want to spare you this." (NIV)

In times of persecution - it would be a blessing not to have to worry about a mate or children. I Corinthians 7:32-35 "I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs - how he can please the Lord. But, a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world - how he can please his wife and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But, a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world - how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord." (NIV)

The Lord expects parents to take care of their children and raise them to know the Lord. As a single Christian opportunities are more easily accepted. A single person can answer a missionary call (I believe more effectively) easier because they only need to raise support for themselves. They also have more time and energy to serve others in the local congregation.

There are also drawbacks to being single. The bible teaches that if you have a strong physical desire - it is better to marry. I Corinthians 7:8-9 "Now to the unmarried and widows I say; It is good for them to stay unmarried as I am. But, if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than burn with passion." (NIV) If God has chosen you to be single then accept and let God guide your steps. To prevent temptation you must develop a close walk with the Lord. In the single life there will be times of loneliness - so to prevent this make a point to spend time with others and invite others to spend time with you. Singles need to keep busy - find places to volunteer and serve.

If you are not single then you need to accept and encourage those who are single. Someday, everyone will stand before the Lord and give an account of every word spoken and deed done. So, with this in mind - accept those who God has chosen to be single. Do not consider them weird or strange - but accept and encourage them. Allow them to use the talents God has given them. Singles need to be accepted into God's family and they need a friend. Allow them to serve - most generally they have more time to devote to the Lord.

In my opinion the world needs to start focusing on the Lord and serving him - instead of focusing on sex. In today's world there would not be so much sexual immorality if sex was treated as the special spiritual bond between a man and a woman and the ultimate purpose was to replenish the earth with children. This is the generation that can turn things around - if they will only stop sinning, repent and turn to the Lord. It is time the older generation stands up and with God's direction takes back the world for him.

© Copyright 2009 Renee Kimberly Root (baberoot34 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1591669-Single