*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592768-Special-Chilhood-Holiday
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1592768
Special Childhood Memories of Birthdays and Christmas Mornings
I have many childhood memories-but one of the most special ones would be of celebrating my birthday and the wonderful excitement of Christmas morning. During the time I was growing up – I only received a toy for my birthday and at Christmas. Times were not like they are today in which children receive the latest edition of a game, computer, cell phone or any other new item that is a fad upon demand.
A few months before my birthday or Christmas – my mom and grandmother would have me to write down items I would like to have. Now, I knew I would only receive one or two of my choices. But, that made the item even more special and valuable to me. Toys were not given to be misused or destroyed –if your toy was broken then it was never replaced. The purpose of this rule was to teach the lesson of taking care of your toys and being responsible. I believe children today could learn a valuable lesson – if you don’t take care of your toys they won’t be replaced.
I will share the memories of the special presents I received. The first gift I remember came from my grandmother. I had gone to a local toy/hardware store with her to purchase an item she needed. She took me to the toy section and I saw some building blocks that had been advertised on TV. They were made out of Styrofoam and you could build all kinds of neat things out of them. I saw them and got really excited and told my grandmother I wanted them for Christmas. She looked at the price and then told me she would add that to my wish list. However, I should have known when she asked for the store’s phone number – she planned on getting them for me. I guess, she must have called the store and had them hold them for her until she could purchase them in the future. In those days stores were owned by families and a person’s word was all that was needed to hold an item for purchase at a future time. She kept the gift hidden until Christmas morning. I cannot express the happiness and excitement I felt when I opened that package and found my Christmas wish had come true.
The next special gift I remember receiving was a talking battery operated view master. I had put that at the top of my wish list that year and my mom made sure I received it. I remember it came with one view master reel and it was the: “Flintstones”. That was the only reel I ever had for that view master – but I enjoyed it over and over again.
My birthday was always celebrated with a special home made - birthday cake by my mother. She was an excellent cook and had a talent for decorating the cake. Then, she would let me invite friends from school to the party. The house would be decorated with streamers, balloons and a banner that read: “Happy Birthday”. There would be games and I would blow out the birthday candles and for that moment in time – I felt special.
I think today parties have been made to be too much of a popularity contest and so companies have been able to increase sales by offering children’s parties at their location. The result is the other parent’s and the children involved might be impressed with the party – but the birthday child is missing out on that special bonding time with family and friends and knowing for that one moment in time – they are very special. I am glad I was raised in a simpler time and was given the opportunity to spend quality family time together and will always have the memories of being a special person on my birthday.
© Copyright 2009 Renee Kimberly Root (baberoot34 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592768-Special-Chilhood-Holiday