*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593304-Flee
Rated: E · Fiction · Religious · #1593304
This story is about a girl who looses her parents when they travel to Africa
                                                    “Flee“

Summer had just come in 1994 in the beautiful town of Plainsboro, North Dakota. The air smelt fresh, the trees had grown their bright green leaves and the flowers of every color bloomed around the gorgeous Victorian houses that stood erect along every street. The biggest house on the street belonged to William Kennedy and his wife Helen who was expecting her first baby that summer. They couldn’t wait to welcome a little one into their family. And finally that day had arrived when Will and Helen welcomed little Lucy Rose into their lives. “Isn’t she beautiful, Will?” Helen said as she held the baby in her arms. “She’s a miracle Helen. A true miracle.” He leaned forward and kissed the baby on the head.  “You truly are a miracle Lucy Rose.” The doctor walked over to them and smiled. “Congratulations, this was a tough delivery, but I knew you would pull through. “
Helen nodded and looked down at her baby, smiling. She knew there was something special about her little girl. The way her little blue eyes sparkled, the way her smile lit up her whole face, and the way she looked at her mother, as if there was nothing wrong in the world. Like everything was perfect.

The Kennedy’s brought home their new baby girl in Will’s brand new car that his work gave him. He had just been promoted and was working full time as a seller for the African food-chain program that often took him outside his home, but most of the time he was able to stay home with his wife and now his new baby girl and just enjoy their company.

A year later they were sitting at the table eating when the doorbell rang. Will got up to answer it. A man stood at the door in a black suit. “Hey Will, sorry to bother you at this time, may I come in?”
“Sure Jack, sure come in. Um, we were just sitting down to super, would you care to join us?”
“Oh no, thank you. This will only take a moment. Could we go into the living room or something?” Jack asked, looking around the entry hall. “Uh sure”, Will poked his head into the dinning room. “It’s just Jack honey. We’ll be right back.” He turned back to Jack and motioned for him to go into the living room. “I’m sorry to have just popped in like this Will, but I needed to come and prepare you for this new assignment I have for you.  It’s very important and you’re the only man to do the job.” Will looked at him with suspicion.
“What kind of assignment?”
“I need you to go to Africa. The food-chain is getting low; we can no longer travel to Idaho to make the deliveries to Africa. The plane we use has broken down, and the man that usually doe s the delivery is out of town due to his wife’s passing. I’m afraid I have no one else for this. And I understand you just getting settled in and you have a 1 year old and a wife to take care of, but Will, I really need you for this. It’s an emergency. “
Will looks at him in shock for a moment, than his facial expression softens. “Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to go down there to delivery the food myself, but what about my wife and daughter?”
“You could take them with you. It should only take you a couple of days, to deliver the food to everyone and then you’re back here. So what do you say?” Jack stands up and holds out his hand for Will to shake in agreement.
Will thinks for a moment and then finally nods with a smile, shaking Jack’s hand. “You got a deal. So when do we leave?”
Jack takes out some papers from his coat pocket and hands them to Will. “I got you covered. Your flight leaves at noon on Friday, but I would recommend you getting there early.” Jack walks out of the living room. “Friday? Noon? Jack wait!” He follows him to the door. “Jack, that only gives me two days to get ready and prepare.” Jack stares at him with sympathy. “I’m sorry Will; I know it’s really last minute, but the shipment was supposed to be sent out by Friday and it’s not going to get there unless I have someone go over there on a plane ride directly to Africa. And I had absolutely no one left. Three guys are out sick, two of my guys are away on vacation and the delivery people aren’t here to help. So you’re the only man left. Now there is a man named Kevin that is working full time over there and we have arranged for him to meet you when the plane lands.”
“How will I know it’s him?”
“He’ll be holding up a sign with your name on it.” Jack smiles, “You know, I really can’t tell you how much I appreciate you doing this for me in such an inconvenient time.” Will smiles and nods again, opening the door to let Jack out. “I’ll let you know how it all turns out.” Jack smiles and thanks him as he leaves. Will stands there in the doorway, watching Jack leave and pondering the idea of going over to Africa and actually seeing the people who get the food that he ships out, for the very first time. He knows that it will be risky taking his wife and daughter, but that’s a risk he’ll have to take, if he wants the African people to get food.
He walks back into the dinning room to tell his wife the good news.

That Friday Will, his wife Helen and their 1 year old daughter Lucy boarded a plane to Africa. Will was glad he was able to get his wife and daughter to come along. He was afraid that Helen would’ve said no, but she was very happy to come along and support him with his work.

When the plane finally landed it was light out and the Kennedy’s got off and noticed they didn’t land in an airport, put a clearing near a long building. A man in the middle of a crowd of people held up a sign that said “Kennedy’s” and Will spotted it right away. “There he is, come on.” They worked their way through the crowd and stopped in front of the man. He was wearing ripped jeans and a plain white shirt; he was American as far as they could see. “We’re the Kennedy’s.” Will said as he approached. The man looked then over and nodded.
“I’m Kevin; I have a jeep waiting for you over here. Follow me please.” They followed Kevin out of the crowd and right to a tan jeep. He opened the door for them. “Thanks“, Will said, helping his wife in with the baby. After Will got in, Kevin went in the drivers’ seat and drove off.
They bounced down the dirt road, passing many shops along the way. Some had hand-made baskets or jewelry. Some of the woman held babies in a blanket that went across their shoulder and around their waist. As they past a vegetable stand, Will looked out and saw a man stare at him with kind but concerned eyes. As they past him, Will noticed a little boy, about three years old, standing behind the man, watching the jeep as it passed. The little boy peeked out from behind the man and smiled.
After driving through woods and dirt, they finally turned onto a grassy plain and drove uphill towards a huge camp, set up with big tents and canopies.
Kevin stopped the car and helped Helen with her baby, and Will out. “Where are we?” Will asked, helping his wife over to a chair near one of the tents. “You’re in the middle of the African jungle sir.” He replied as he unloaded their belongings from the jeep. After making sure his wife and daughter were comfortable, Will helped Kevin unload and brought their things to a huge tent. “This is where you’ll be staying.” Kevin said, setting their things down inside. “Are there any really wild animals out here?” Helen asked, setting Lucy down on a blanket so she could play with some toys. “We have guns. Don’t worry, you’re safe here ma’am.” When Will assured Kevin that they were all set, he left. They sat down on the cots that were inside the tent and Will put his arm around his wife, as they watched Lucy play on the blanket. “We’re actually in Africa, I can’t believe it.” Helen stated. Will smiled at her and gave her a hug. “I just wish this could’ve been a vacation for us instead of business.” Helen looked up at him, squeezing his hand. “It’s good enough for me. I told you I would go to the ends of the earth if I had to with you. And I think this is pretty darn close.” She laughed. Will smiled down at her and gave her a kiss. “I love you!” Helen looked down at that moment and screamed.
Startled, Will jumps up, almost knocking over his wife as Kevin runs to the door and stops short. “What is it?” Will asked. With a shaky hand, Helen points down at Lucy. Will follows her finger and stares into the eyes of a rattler, only about 3 feet from where Lucy was playing. Will looks at Kevin and then back at the snake and slowly steps towards his daughter.  As he does the rattler starts to shakes its tail. Will’s heart beat faster and faster at every step, praying to God that he would make it to Lucy in time before the snake attacked. He bent down as slow and surly as he could and quickly grabbed Lucy as the snake turned its head and hissed. Will handed Lucy to Helen and she brought her feet up on the cot as Will grabbed a nearby stick and made his way towards the snake. Kevin looked up at him and slowly stepped out and then came back in with a shot gun. Will shoke his head and whispered, “Out there.” He steps towards the snake, as its tail started shaking faster and faster and Will’s heart beat even faster then before. He put the stick down and the snake lunged for it as Kevin, without thinking, grabbed the snakes’ tail and threw him out the door. A gun shot is heard and Lucy started to cry.  Kevin walked back in the tent holding the dead snake by its tail. “Got ‘em.”  Will sighed with relief and walked back over to his wife and kid, as Lucy still cried. “That was frightening and exciting at the same time.” Will said.  Helen gives her husband a look of, ‘yeah right’ and turns back to rocking her daughter back and forth trying to stop her from crying.
The next day was the day Will and Kevin would go out and start the process of selling the food to the local people on the other side of the hill. But it was down pouring by the time they got their things together. Will quickly ran to Kevin’s tent. “I guess it would be near impossible to get up that steep slope with it down-pouring like it is, huh?” Kevin looks out and nods. “Yeah, but I think it will stop within the hour. We can go out then.” But it didn’t stop within the hour; in fact, it didn’t stop for 3 days straight. And then finally on Tuesday, August 10th, it stopped raining and the men went out on their mission.

Walking through the jungle wasn’t so hard for Will; it was the steep up-hill climb that killed him. He nearly slide all the way down at one point, thankfully Kevin caught him. When they got to the top, there wasn’t a person in sight. “Where is everyone?” Will asked, looking around at nothing put clear land. “I’m not sure. I’ll go check the watering hole. Sometimes they go in groups to get water. They could be there.” Kevin said and went off in the direction of the watering hole. Will searched the grounds, but couldn’t find a single person or even an animal. He secretly was hoping that he wouldn’t meet anyone until Kevin got back. As Will checked the woods he suddenly spotted the man from the vegetable stand in the market on the first day they go their. He was just staring at him with kind but concerned eyes.
Will stood there frozen in place. He couldn’t tell whether the man was harmful or not. He slowly stepped forward and then stopped. “Hello? Um, have you seen any people around here lately?” The man just stared at him. Not saying a word. Will stepped forward again, thinking maybe he didn’t hear him and tries again. “Uh, my name is Will Kennedy. I’m from Plainsboro, North Dakota. I’m here to bring food to your people. You see, I’m a seller back home for the food-chain here.” Then thinking maybe he doesn’t understand him he tries speaking slower and points to himself. “I…am Will! I’m here…to sell…food.” He tries explaining and pointing and making funny gestures like he’s eating something and it still didn’t seem to be working until the man smiled at him and started walking towards him. “You are funny Mr. Kennedy. I am Neaho Makoyati. The keeper of the woods as they call me. You are funny man. Making funny gestures with hands.” Will smiles in embarrassment and tries to hide it. “Oh, I just didn’t know if you understood English.” Neaho smiles and nods. “I understand your language, but not your moves. You make funny moves trying to tell me what you are doing here.” He laughs. “Very entertaining for me.” Will laughs with him. “I bet I am entertaining. I’m here with my family. The food be brought will help your people. So they won’t starve. I bet the animals even like our food. Like the elephants for instance, do you have any around here?” Neaho suddenly steps back and frowns. “You are here for elephant tusks?” Will looked at him confused as to why he would think that. “What? N-no. Not at all, I’m here to give you guys’ food. Why would you think I was here for Elephant tusks?”
“All white men come for that. Kill innocent animals just for money. I thought you were one of them. I guess I was wrong.” He smiled. “I have cabin in woods. My wife and nephew need food. You give them food?”


“Yes, I will. Uh, here, I have a package you can bring home with you right now. It’s stuffed with many foods. Not just vegetables either, meats and cheeses and all kinds of seeds that you can grow to make your own food. Wheat, and beans, and we have flour so you can make bread and so much more. Plus we are here to check your water too. Just to make sure it’s safe to drink, so people don’t get sick.”
“Water safe, I drink, I not sick. You check though, make sure, just incase.”
William smiled and gave Neaho his package. He gratefully accepted it and then turned to walk away. Will reaches his hand out to stop him. “Wait, do you have blankets and pillows or anything to keep warm?” Neaho turned around to look at him. “Yes, we have many. Come, I show you.” Will looks at him a little confused and then follows him down the other side of the hill.
They walk across the clearing and then walk through the bit of woods in front of them. They eventually come out to another small clearing where a cabin is standing with wild flowers and vines that had grown up around it. Neaho motions for Will to follow him to the cabin. Neaho takes out a key from the top of the big wooden door and unlocks it. He moves aside for Will to walk through first. Will looks around in wonder at the walls, which were filled with hides from all kinds of animals, buffalo, dear, bears, wolfs. He looks around the room and spots some pillow like things on the shelves that line the walls. “Where did you get all these hides?” Will asked, feeling the soft fur with his fingers. “Men hunt, kill. Some animals attack us for no reason, we kill, skin, take hides to keep warm. Many, many years we do this. Have much to keep warm with. See? We not need any of yours.” Will nods in astonishment at the thousands of hides everywhere. “Well, I’m glad you don’t get cold at night. That’s a big relief for me now.” Will chuckles. When they were done, they walked back out, with Neaho locking the door and putting the key back where it was, and then walking back through the woods into the other clearing. Will spotted Kevin coming up the hillside where he left him. He turned to Neaho and smiles. “I’ll be back sometime to see how you’re doing. You should come visit us at the camp. We’re only a few steps back down that hill.” Neaho nods and turns to go back into the woods where they just came.


When they got back to the camp, Will went in his tent and when he saw his girls he smiled. Lucy was standing up holding on to her mother’s hands. “She just started this Will, watch. Go to daddy. Go see daddy Lucy.” Will kneels down and Lucy let go of her mother’s hands and started to walk towards Will. Taking little steps at a time she made it to daddy and fell into his arms. “Oh good girl, sweetie!” He picked her up and swung her around. “You’re getting so big. Daddy loves you so much, you know that? I’m so proud of you.” He hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He walked towards Helen and sat down next to her. “She’s growing up so fast. She’s already a year old and now she’s walking. I can’t believe it.” He looked into Lucy’s eyes and smiled.
“Stop growing, you have to stop growing.” He smiles at her and then his face grows solemn.
“Oh Helen, I just thought of something. Before we know it, she’s going to start dating. Oh we can’t have that. I’ll drill any guy who comes near her.”
Helen smiled and tickled Lucy. “I know. I’d hate to have anything ever happen to this angel. But that’s a long way off Will. So don’t start drilling every 1 year old around.” He smiles and gives her a kiss. “I know, I won’t.” He stands up “I’ll just drill all the 2 year olds.” Helen goes to playfully hit him when suddenly a loud crash is heard outside. A bunch of men run past their tent and Kevin runs in. “Will, a tree just fell on two of our men, we need your help.” He runs back out and Will gives Lucy back to her mom, quickly chasing after Kevin.

They get to the crash site and Will notices Neaho standing on a hill watching a ways away. But he ignores him and quickly runs to help the other men get the tree up. They all push and pull with orders coming from Kevin.” Push.” He yells, as they strain and push to get the tree of the men’s bodies.  “It’s too late.” Yells one of the men, he had stopped to check their pulse. “They’re both dead.” All the men stop working and some take off their hats in respect. Kevin nods and silently walks back towards the camp as Will follows. “Were you close with them?” Will asked, walking slowly as if barley moving. “Not really, they were hired to help us with the food exchange. They came from California with the best. But that’s alright; we’ll just have to be more cautious now with the natives running around.”
“You think they had something to do with it?”
“I don’t doubt it. That’s why we’re also down here; to kill them.” Will stares at him with horror.

Back at the campsite a few men gathered around to say a few words to the men that just died. Kevin just went into his tent, but Will thought out of respect for the two guys, he would stay for the mini wake. When it was over he went back in his tent and lay down on his cot. Helen and Lucy were already asleep. Will laid in bed a while thinking about Neaho and how he would help the natives with their food problem. He pondered the thoughts and soon drifted off to sleep.

Then next day, before sunup, Will quietly slipped out of his tent being careful not to wake his wife and daughter or anyone else in the camp, and set out towards the cottage that Neaho showed him, hoping that he would be there. He climbed the steep rocky hill sliding once and a while but finally made it to the top and then spotted the tiny cottage. Slowly Will climbed down the hill towards the cottage. When he reached it he tried the door, but it wouldn't open. He looked around for a key with no success. Suddenly he felt he was being watched and quickly turned around to see Neaho standing there holding a key and smiling. "This what you look for?" Neaho asked him with a grin. Will sighed with relief and took the key, inserting it into the key hole and unlocked it. "Thank you. I was hoping you would be here. I need to talk to you." He said opening the door. They walked inside and Will stopped to stare at the room full of animal remains. There were over hundreds of hides hanging on the walls. They were hung over ropes that went from wall to wall. Neaho walked over to one of the cots that was against the far wall, and sat down. “Mr. Kennedy, please come sit.” He said, patting he seat next to him. Will went over and sat down.
“You can call me Will.” He smiled, “And I wanted to ask you if you knew what happened to the two men down at the camp. A tree had fallen on them, but they weren’t exactly cutting it.” Neaho stares at him with suspicion. “You think me do?”
“No, no, not at all. I just didn’t know if you knew what happened, that’s all. Maybe you saw them cutting down the tree or someone else?” Neaho thinks for a moment and then shakes his head. “Me not see. Sorry.”
“That’s okay, “Will said sadly, looking around the big cottage. “What will you do about your people? I know they’re being hunted.” Neaho stares at him with wide eyes. “Yeah, I know about it. A man down at the camp told me, unfortunately, I believe he’s one of them. But you have nothing to worry about, because I won’t let them harm you or your family.” Neaho looks at him with tears in his eyes and smiles, gratefully. “Thank you.” Will smiled and stood up. “I have to go now, or they’ll wonder where I am.” They start to head out. Neaho locks the door behind them and turns to leave, but Will grabs his arm again. “Wait, this seems to be getting dangerous for my family. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I’m afraid a war will break out and my family will be hurt.” Neaho puts his hand up to stop him from speaking. “I not let harm come to family. Promise!” He puts his hand over his heart. “Must go now. I watch from trees. Go.” Will smiles and waves as he runs to go up over the hill back to his camp, as Neaho disappears into the trees.

When Will returns to the camp Kevin is waiting for him with his men. “I have a bad feeling that those savages aren’t going to mind their own business. We plan to fix that. They already killed two of our men, I will not have them kill anymore.” Will stares at him with concern. “But you don’t know that they did anything to those men. I thought it was an accident.”
“You don’t know that. And I don’t believe it was. Those savages are nothing but trouble. I’m going to kill them all before they get a chance to kill us.”
“No, you can’t do that. They’re not Indians, they’re innocent African people. They haven’t bothered us at all. Plus there are two different kinds of tribes here. You could be killing the innocents.” Kevin steps toward Will so he’s standing face to face with him. “There’s no such thing as an innocent savage, Indian or African male. Especially them.” He cocks his gun without taking his eyes off of Will and then turns to his men. “Let’s go!” They all start to march out before Will can stop them. He runs into his tent and saw that Helen was dressing Lucy when he walked in. "What was all the commotion for out there?" Helen asked as she put a fresh pair of pants on Lucy. Will walks over and sits down next to Helen on the cot and sighs. "Kevin and his men want to go kill the tribe of men that he thinks killed those two men.” Helen gives him a worried look and picks up Lucy. "But why? They haven’t done anything. Have they? Do you really believe they killed those two men with that tree?" Will shakes his head. “No, I don’t believe they did. And that’s why I’m going to try and stop them. But I don’t know how.” He sighs and puts his chin on his hands. Helen kisses her husbands head. “I’m proud you wanna help the tribe but I don’t want you getting hurt in the process.”
“Honey, I’m just going to go talk to them. I won’t get hurt I promise.” He stands up. “I’ll be back, okay? I love you.”
Helen stands up and starts kissing him and then suddenly there's a loud bang from a gun going off and Will quickly looks out the tent door. "What on earth...?" He noticed a man standing on top of a hill with a bunch of his tribal men with him. They have spears in their hands.
Will quickly pushes Helen and the baby down on to the floor, covering them with a blanket. "Stay here, it looks like the Racheti tribe is outside!" He quickly leaves before Helen can say anything.

Outside the men are back and pointing guns at the men on the hill. Kevin is loading more guns and handing them to his men. Will walks up to him to see what happened. “What’s going on? Who shot the gun?” Kevin is busy loading a gun and tries to avoid Will’s question. "Are you a good shot?" Kevin asked loading another gun and giving it to another guy. "Why? What’s going on? Did they shoot that gun?” Kevin again ignores his question, handing Will a gun and pointing his at the Racheti tribe. “What Is going on?” Will finally shouts.
“The Racheti tribe is here, can’t you see that? Kevin says, clearly fed up with Will’s questions. ”They’ve come to make trouble for us.”
“How do you know? Did they do something? Who shot that gun! You still haven’t answered me.” Kevin sighs angrily, finally answering Will. “I did! I shot the gun. And I’ll do it again if they make any sudden movements.” Will looks outraged and worried. “You didn’t shoot any of them did you? Was anyone hurt?” Kevin shakes his head. “I shot it in the air.” Will sighs with relief and looks back up the hill at the Racheti tribe to see what they will do. After several minutes of standing there, with the tribe not moving, Will finally breaks the silence. “Maybe I should go talk to them.” Kevin scoffs at him, looking at him as if he was nuts. “You wanna go talk to those savages? No, no one is moving until I say so.” Will looks around and notices Neaho standing at the other end of the hill watching from a distance. Will secretly hoped that he would do something so that Kevin wouldn’t end up shooting an innocent person. Neaho notices Will starring at him and points to the tribe making motions with his hand, trying not to alert attention from Kevin or his men. Will nods in understanding and moves towards Kevin. “I can’t do anything here. I’m gonna go see my wife, make sure she’s alright.” Kevin nods without taking his eyes off the tribe on the hill.
Will moves slowly towards his tent and then circles around it, heading up the other side of the hill where Neaho was standing. He climbs up and looks around. Neaho steps out from behind a huge tree, startling Will. “Sorry to scare you Will. I hear shotgun. I come see what’s on going.” Will smiles at his choice of words and nods. “Yeah, it looks like the Racheti tribe has come to make trouble. But they haven’t made any moves yet. What should we do?” Neaho looks over at the leader of the tribe and squints. “Racheti leader holding big spear at right side. He not here to harm. Just curious who white men are.” Will looks at the leader and thinks. “So he’s not here to harm us? Are you sure?” Neaho nods. “Yes, he hold spear at right side. That means he not here to harm. If he hold spear on left side, he here to fight.” He shakes his head. “That not the case now.” Will nods and sighs with relief. “Good, I just hope I can convince Kevin that they’re not here to-“ Suddenly a gun goes off and Will notices a man in the back fall over. The Racheti look at the dead man and then switch their spears to the left side.
“Uh oh. That’s not good.” Will says, starring at the Racheti leader.
“Get wife and baby out now!” Neaho warns. “Bring family up this way. I bring to my Cousin Yoni’s house. Go now!”
The savages started running down the hill at the white men, throwing their spears and killing anyone in their way. Kevin runs behind a table that had been tipped over in the commotion, watching the whole scene. Will runs to his wife in his tent and they go out the back flap of the tent; racing up the hill. The leader of the Racheti tribe spots them and runs after them with his spear. The Kennedy's run as fast as they can, trying to find Neaho, who comes out behind a tree as Will and Helen, with Lucy, came up the hill. "Neaho, take Lucy. Please! We have to run, but you can run faster with her. We'll meet you at the cottage. Hurry." Neaho takes Lucy, as she cries for her mommy, and runs off toward the cottage. As Will and Helen start running up the hill the Racheti leader catches up with them. Will turns around and grabs Helen's hand, as Kevin watches the whole thing without moving from his spot.

At the clearing, Neaho finally makes it to the cottage with Lucy still crying in his arms. He stops to catch his breath and hears two gun shots.
He looks at Lucy with horror and then quickly runs to the cottage. He opens the door and rushes inside. Sitting Lucy down on a nearby cot, he starts taking down the hides that are hanging all over the walls. Lucy cries and cries as Neaho desperately tries to calm her down and puts one of the hides around her to make as a blanket. He kneels in front of her and smiles. Lucy stops crying and looks up at him with sad eyes. "You're going to be alright Lucy. It's alright  ..." He picks her up and holds her in his arms. "It's going to be alright." He closes his eyes and rocks her back and forth. Another African walks in and looks at Neaho with a white baby. “Her family…they didn’t make it. The Racheti killed them.” The man nods in sympathy and walks over to Lucy, kneeling down in front of her. “It’s alright. My name is Yoni Palabo. I will take care of you.” Neaho smiles and backs up. He stands there watching his cousin with Lucy. He looks out the cottage window to see smoke rising from where the camp was over the hill. His eyes are sad, knowing Will and Helen Kennedy never made it!

[Fifteen years later]

The village in Africa was crowded with people on that day in July of 2009. The sun was shining brightly and the kids were playing ball in the streets. A jeep drives up beeping its horn to get the kids out of the way. It stops in front of a vegetable stand and a man steps out; it’s Neaho. He takes a basket of veggies out from the back of the jeep and places it on the table at the stand. He goes and gets another one and brings it over as two teenage girls walk over with worried expressions on their faces “What wrong?” Neaho asks them. The shorter teen steps forward, looking around as she speaks.
“Janga just told us that his father and uncle were walking through the woods and noticed a bunch of people who looked like me. They had what looked like guns. He said they were headed for our village.” Neaho puts the basket down and looks at them knowing there is something she isn’t telling him. “That is not all is it?” The girl looks down and shakes her head. Neaho takes his hand and lifts her chin up to look into his eyes. “Lucy, what is it?” Lucy looks at him and finds her voice. “The Racheti Tribe is back.” Neaho gives her a worried look.

The jeep pulls up in front of a medium sized cottage. The door is open and the smell of cooked food fills the air. The two girls step out with Neaho and they walk up to the front door of the cottage.

Inside a woman is slaving over a stone fireplace. She’s wearing an apron over her multi-colored dress. She looks up from her cooking and smiles at the company that just entered. “Come in, come in. I just put hot snake in da pot.” Lucy smiles at her mother as they all step inside the medium sized kitchen. “Ma, is it alright if Talia stays for dinner?” The woman smiles showing many wrinkles on her face. “Of course, of course. Sit down, sit down. Lucy, call your pop in here. It is almost time to eat.” Lucy walks into the other room and comes back in a minute with Yoni. “Talia, I glad you here. You going to stay to eat?” Talia smiles and nods, “Yes sir, if it’s alright.” Yoni smiles and walks over, putting his arm around her shoulders, “Of course it alright. You stay. Eat with us. Lucy, put another plate down for your friend.” Lucy does as she’s told and they all sit around the table as Lucy’s mother puts a pot of steaming soup in front of them with some bread in a basket. Yoni sniffs the air and smiles, “Mmm, good. Smells real good Tamiqua.” Tamiqua smiles from the compliment and sits next to her husband. “Let us say grace.” Everyone holds hands around the table as Yoni gives thanks for the food. “Our big God in Heaven, dank you for dis food dat Tamiqua has made for us. I dank you for da blessin of Lucy. Without her, I don’t know where we’d be. Amen.” They lift their heads and Lucy smiles at her dad. He always said how thankful he was for her at every meal. “What a sweet man.” She thought.

After the meal, everyone but Tamiqua went into the living room and sat down to relax. Lucy sat down on the floor near Neaho and Talia did like-wise.
Yoni picked up his pipe and lit it, putting it in his mouth. "So why didn't Shamari come to dinner, Neaho?" Lucy asked, looking up at him from where she was sitting. Neaho looks down at her, "He go to grave again. Put fresh flowers on Grave of Sophiana." His face turned sad as he remembered his wife. Lucy grabs his hand and smiles sympathetically. "I miss you her too. That fever came to quick for anyone to do anything. I know you keep blaming your self for it, but it wasn't your fault. It was just her time. God wanted her home." Neaho nods and looks away. Lucy notices a tear in his eye, but he tries to hide it by blowing his nose. "Allergies." He says, trying to smile.  Lucy smiles up at him. "So what's the plan for today, pop?" She asked, trying to change the subject for Neaho's sake. Yoni took the pipe out of his mouth and replied, "I not know Lucy. What you have in mind?" Lucy looks at Talia who nods and then back at her dad.
"Would it be alright if Talia and I went to Jangas to hang out for a while?" Yoni smiles. "Yes. But come home before sun down." Lucy returns the smile, "Thanks. We'll be home on time." She gets up and gives Neaho a hug, and then goes over to give Yoni a kiss on the cheek and walks out of the room. Talia gets up and follows.
Outside, the sun was just above the horizon, so the girls knew they wouldn't have much time to spend at Jangas.
The girls started down the little path that led from Lucy's house and off towards the woods.
They walked through thick bushes, and dense forests, until they came to a small clearing where a small wooden cottage stood, surrounded by a brown picket fence about four feet high. The big rock chimney that was attached on the side had smoke coming out of it, so the girls knew someone was home. Hopefully Janga wasn't off hunting game and was actually home for once. He liked it more in the wilderness then inside his house, which Lucy didn’t blame him. She preferred it outside in the fresh air too.

The girls hurried up the little walkway to the front door and knocked. A short but plump woman came to the door and when she saw who it was her face broke into a smile that went from ear to ear, displaying a million wrinkles on her face just like Tamiqua. The two women are similar in many ways, and their warm friendly smiles were one way to see their similarities. “Come, come. Do not be shy. I get Janga!” She said in her broken English. Lucy smiled at the lady as they walked in. “Thank you, Mrs. Woodbee. I hope I’m not interrupting anything.” Mrs. Woodbee smiled at her again and shook her head. “No, no. Not ‘rrupting anyting. Come. I get Jenga.” She repeated as they walked through the kitchen.

The inside of the house was a lot bigger then it looked from the outside. The largest room in the house was the living room, which is where the girls headed. They walked past a ladder on the left that led to a loft where Janga slept. The girls walked into the living room and noticed that the walls had various animal heads on them. Lucy admired some elephant’s tusks on a string that were hanging on a hook near a deer head. The tusks were used as a horn to alert people when danger was near. Janga taught Lucy how to blow in it correctly so that it would make a sound. It was a very tricky task, but she managed to actually get a sound out one time. The girls sat down on a couch near a lamp stand that was made of pinewood. A handmade, multi-colored quilt lay on the back of the couch that Mrs. Woodbee had made. The Africans were famous for making hand-woven quilts. It was a nice treat for the woman who had children to take care of. After the children went to bed, the woman would sit down and make quilts. It was a very relaxing task.
Lucy fingered the beautiful fabric. “My ma has a quilt similar to this at home. She made it last week at a quilting bee. I wonder if Mrs. Woodbee made this quilt there.” At that moment Janga walked in with his mother right behind him.
He was a very tall but handsome African boy with long Starkey legs and a smile that made all the girls sigh. Talia had a crush on him, but Janga liked Lucy. He always had eyes for her and everyone knew it.
“She did make it there.” He replied to Lucy’s comment, “And I must say, besides your mother Lucy, she is the best quilt maker I’ve ever seen.” His smile was so warm to see, Lucy couldn’t help but blush. “And I’m glad to see you girls here by the way. To what do I owe this wonderful pleasure?” He said, with a dramatic bow.
Lucy and Talia giggled at his display of trying to be a gentleman. “We needed to talk to you about those men you saw.” Lucy told him, “Could you tell us more about them?”
Janga came and sat down in between the two girls. “I didn’t see them, my father and Uncle saw them. And they just told me that they saw a bunch of white men coming with guns and that the Racheti tribe has come back and they believe that’s why the white men are here. To drive them away. This would be a relief for our soldiers who are low on weapons. We try to live like the white men have taught us, but it’s difficult at times, because we are used to our own ways. The soldiers are used to carrying spears like the tribes do, but they are supposed to carry guns, according to your people.” He said to Lucy. “They are not my people,” Lucy frowned, “They are just people who look like me. Your people are my people.” She shifts her body to face her friends more, “You and Talia and everyone else are who I’ve grown up with and I declared myself a White African!” She smiles and Janga grins broadly. “That’s something I’ve never heard before, but am honored to hear it now.” Talia, who had been quiet the whole time, finally spoke up. “I’m honored to see you as one of us too Lucy. You are like a sister to me. I’ve always wanted a sister.” Lucy gets up and sits next to Talia on the other side and puts her arm around her. “I’m glad Talia. Because you are like a sister to me too. I wouldn’t have it any other way.” The three smiled and talked a while longer until the sun was below the trees and it was time for the girls to head home.

After the girls said goodbye to Janga and his mother they made their way back towards Lucy’s house. “Do you really think the white men are here to drive away the Racheti people?” Talia asked Lucy. “I don’t know, “Lucy said, picking a leaf off one of the trees they past, “Could be. Who knows? But I don’t really care; they can take ‘em all they want. Kill ‘em even.” Talia gasps at Lucy’s harsh words. “Sorry Talia, I didn’t mean to sound so harsh. It’s just that they killed my real parents. I would just like them to pay for it. But I know it’s not nice to hate or wish anyone dead.” Talia puts her arms around Lucy. “I understand Lucy; it’s awful how they did that. And you being only one when it happened. Tragic. But at least you now have a family that loves you and would never leave you or let anything happen to you. And I’m here too.” Lucy smiles at her friend and gives her a squeeze around the shoulders as they keep walking on towards the Palabo house.

Night fall was now upon them and the air was getting colder. The girls huddled together as they walked towards Lucy’s house. The night creatures were out now and their eyes glowed through the trees making the girls shiver when they saw them. They were almost at the clearing to go up the hill to the house when they heard a twig snap in the woods behind them.
Both girls jumped upon hearing it. They stopped, not knowing whether it was an animal or a person. Either way, it could be dangerous for them. Then Lucy looks around and gasps as she sees a flash a white go by through the trees, as Talia clings to her in fear. “W-what was that?” Talia whispers, looking around in terror. Lucy puts her finger to her mouth to indicate Talia to be quite. They waited for what seemed like minutes to Lucy and then finally figured whatever it was, was now gone. The girls started towards the hill again, this time quickening their pace.
When they got to the house they both rushed inside out of breath from running up the hill. They both raced into the living room and collapsed on the couch. Yoni looked up from his book with a puzzled look on his face. “What wrong?” He asked, as Tamiqua, who was sitting next to him in a rocking chair working on a quilt, also looked up and stopped to listen. “There…was…something in the…woods.” Talia explained, trying to catch her breath. Yoni looked from one girl to the other and Lucy nodded in agreement with her friend. 
© Copyright 2009 Roseygal (typicalteens at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593304-Flee