*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1599301-Inner-Critic
by Lani
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Writing · #1599301
My writer bio and Inner Critic
“So late again,” said my Inner critic. You know, that little voice in your head who is your mother, father, teacher or any authority figure who rode your a** continually.

“Not my fault they started the class early.” I replied silently.

“But you did extend your vacation.”

“I did check my e-mail and I did check with the teacher.”  Feeling smug, I finally had the upper hand on the Critic. So he took another tract.

“What do you have to offer to this class? It’s discussion about story writing.”

My heart sank a little. He was right. What did I have to offer?

This is stupid. I don’t have to defend myself. I am a 47 year old South Carolina woman. There is nothing I can't do and I can do this. This class is about learning to write well. I have been writing stories since I could pick up a pencil and draw storyboards (or comics as I called it then) to illustrate them. I have published three poems and one short story, so technically I am an author. Stories with a twist interest me, no matter the genre. My strengths, I’m told, are realistic characters and emotions. My weaknesses are plot length and grammar. I have several novel ideas floating in my head, but I’m not sure how to start them. And I would like to do some inspirational writing.

*Snicker*

“Now what?” I asked. I wanted to roll my eyes, but that would be useless.

“It takes more than three poems, a short story and a pen name to be an author.”

“I suppose so, but Lani is a very nice name and I like being called that. I do have something else that every successful author has.”

“What’s that?”

“A relentless need to write and to find an audience for those words. I haven’t always had it, but somehow the unread word seems sad to me. And for that Mr. Critic I thank you.”

“Me?”

“Yes. Without you, I wouldn’t be here in this class or at WDC or sending out my work or writing this piece. So, thank you.”

And, finally, the Inner Critic was quiet for the night
© Copyright 2009 Lani (lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1599301-Inner-Critic