*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602415-The-Siege
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #1602415
A castle is under siege. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the words: Knight, barrel, twelve


The Siege

“Has there been any word?”

“No, my Lord. It’s been twelve days since our messenger was dispatched. I fear our request for help has gone unanswered. We need to consider - alternatives.”

“You want me to give up; to simply turn the castle over to the barbarians? I would rather die.” King Reginald stood up and turned his back to his senior advisor. Walking slowly to a window, he looked out over his castle. Beyond the outer walls, he could see the fires of the barbarian horde.

They’d arrived at the end of spring. The outer villages had simply been looted and then burned to the ground. The few villagers that had managed to escape made it to the castle with tales of horror.

That had been five months ago. The castle had been under siege ever since.

Winter was rapidly approaching. Food and water supplies were nearly gone. The last barrel of salt pork had been empty for a week. A lone messenger had been sent out with a desperate plea for help. Now it appeared that he had failed.

The king knew that his pride kept him from surrendering. As he looked out the window, he could see his subjects. They still manned the walls even though they were near starvation. They’d die for him.

The advisor watched as his king shook his head sadly. The once mighty leader aged years with a long slow exhale.

“Prepare my escort. It is time that I go to discuss the terms of my surrender.”

“My Lord, look!”

The king looked out the window to where the advisor was pointing. He smiled for the first time in five months. The messenger had gotten through after all.

Barbarians ran in confused terror as the Dragon Knight made one deadly pass after another.

Word count 300

© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602415-The-Siege