*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602694-Lesson-In-Motorcycle-Book-Signing-Sales
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Action/Adventure · #1602694
Here's one way to conduct a book signing, market your book and sell it.
The first book signing of First to Last - The Tale of a Biker went fine.  Met and talked to lots of folks, passed out flyers and business cards with the book cover on one side and my personal information on the other, and sold seven books in four hours.  I sold two more books as a follow-up to the book signing event.  Most of all, I gained invaluable experience for setup and operation of a signing event.  I’m ready to do more of the same.

Here are some tips on how to go about the process of selling your book at your signing event.

Dennis Lid


           
"A Lesson in Motorcycle Book Signing Sales"


    The first book signing of First to Last - The Tale of a Biker by Dennis W. Lid took place at Barnes & Noble book store at Westfield Mall in Palm Desert, California on November 23rd, 2007.
 
    The first book signing of First to Last - The Tale of a Biker  went fine.  Met and talked to lots of folks, passed out flyers and business cards with the book cover on one side and my personal information on the other, and sold seven books in four hours.  I sold two more books as a follow-up to the book signing event.  Most of all, I gained invaluable experience for setup and operation of a signing event.  I’m ready to do more of the same.

    The key to success is to talk to people instead of letting them pass on by . . . and not necessarily about the book . . . just about whatever interests them.  Engage them first by whatever means, then let nature take its course in leading them to the book.  If it doesn’t take right away, leave them with a good impression and a business card with web site address and book title for purchase on the Internet.
 
    Two pretty teenage girls were my first customers.  I lured them to the signing table with the question:  “Do you have any biker friends?” as they were walking by.  One of the girls said, “Yes, my father rides a motorcycle.”  I responded, “Great!  Here’s a Christmas gift idea to consider for him.”  Both girls, who were sisters, thought it was a good idea and bought a book for Pop.

    Another conversation started with a little flattery.  I said, “I like your shirt” to one passerby.  He stopped passing, started talking about aloha  shirts and ended up buying two books, one for himself and one for a motorcyclist friend.  And he was neither a biker nor a veteran, but he had good tastes in shirts.  (I happened to be wearing a Hawaiian Aloha shirt at the time.)
 
    Then there were the two, young U.S. Marines and their wives.  I asked if they were bikers, based on their haircuts, bearing and attire.  They bit on the book right away after reviewing the back cover information and recognizing the military common denominator and the inherent brotherhood.

    Pat, a 70-year old man, and his wife stopped at the table and looked at the book.  I asked if he was a motorcyclist, and he acknowledged that he was a lifelong biker who currently owned two bikes - an 1100cc Honda and a 650cc Yamaha.  We “jawed” for about five minutes about bikes and our experiences.  There was a lot of common ground.  I let him do most of the talking and involved his wife in the conversation as well.  His wife said she wanted to buy the book as a Christmas stocking stuffer for her husband.  He countered that he wouldn’t mind that at all, and with tongue in cheek added that he would even let her read it.  They were a tandem riding couple to the end.
     
    Anyway, all went well.  I’ll get a repeat book signing six months from now at the same location.  I’m also working on two other signings with 30 minute lecture/discussion/Q&A sessions included.  Things are looking up.
 
    My thanks go to all those kind folks who have bought and read my book.  And to all of you who have not, thank you for patiently enduring all of my incessant ramblings about it.

Dennis W. Lid
LidDennis@aol.com
© Copyright 2009 Dennis Lid (dennislid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602694-Lesson-In-Motorcycle-Book-Signing-Sales