*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602925-No-Ordinary-Mouse
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #1602925
Abby is no ordinary mouse...
Chapter One

It was the wee early hours of the morning when Abbey was born in a fine bed, in the finest hole of the fairest castle in Littlehampton, Kingdom of Sussex. She was no ordinary mouse. Her mama and papa were quite pleased with her bonny appearance and doted over her quite enthusiastically, being she was the only one in the litter to survive. But how could her parents have known what a beauty she was? For you know sweet reader that mice are not at all fond of light and therefore their homes must be quite dark and dreary. However this mouse family was quite different from other mouse families in the Kingdom, and their home was filled with sweet light, dancing all about. But you must be asking, "How can a hole be filled with light?" And this is a very good question for one to ask. This was the finest mouse hole if ever there was, arrayed with windows all about. So it was not hard to see right away how fair Abigail (her given name since she was a royal mouse of royal blood) really was.

She was truly a fancy mouse, born with a beautiful thick white coat. "What a coat this one has." her papa would say. "A gown belonging only to angels." her mama replied.

And the when the time had come for her to open her eyes, they were the keenest clearest blue you had ever seen, like a blue sky on a cloudless day. And she immediately began walking on her hind legs, which is a most unusual habit for mice except when eating. Remember reader this is a most unusual family of mice...a noble family of mice...a royal family of mice...and there was just the three of them...yes reader...just three. King Edward and Queen Dollie Mirabelle and their daughter Abbey. They lived in the home of the King and Queen of Sussex, but they don't come into the story much.

And I guess by now you are wondering what this fine mouse family does all day long in a castle. In fact right now you are probably pea green with envy thinking of all the things YOU would do if YOU were a rich prince or princess living within the walls of a castle. Well, let me tell you that there is much to do in a castle, but being royal mice they didn't have to do the things that ordinary mice have to do. They didn't scurry. They didn’t hunt for food. And most of all they never went out at night. Scurrying was for the inbred heathen mice, and hunting for food…why should they when they had cook to prepare very savory, toothsome meals whenever they wished. Remember, these are royal mice. And about this business of going out at night...King Edward and Queen Dollie had no desire to leave the comforts of their nests for the uncertain toils of the city of Sussex. But not Abbey, she longed to see the city. "No, No Abbey...we can not have our only heiress out late at night romping with the heathen mice."

So Abbey wandered aimlessly about the castle singing beautiful songs day by day wondering what would become of her. The windows were her favorite things. She would stare endlessly through their frames wondering what lie on the other side. She often seemed quite sad, and longed for company but instead her mama and papa would say, "What can we do for you our dearest Abigail? Tell us what you wish for and we shall provide it." But Abbey knew what she really wanted they could not give her....adventure. And this sweet reader is where Abbey's adventures began in the heart of curiosity and boredom.
© Copyright 2009 hobbit fightin the good fight (frodo14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602925-No-Ordinary-Mouse