*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1603113-Wisconsin-Donor-Network-Article
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Inspirational · #1603113
My experience In Washington DC for the Wisconsin Donor Network.
For the past two years, I have lived with a grief that no one should have to experience. When my daughter Amaya died, I did not know how life could ever go on for me. I refused to believe it could. However, as time went on I have been able to emerge from this pain and begin a new chapter in my life, one that will be used to keep the memory of Amaya’s short life alive. Volunteering for the Wisconsin Donor Network has given me many such opportunities to share my daughter’s life and praise the positivity that organ donation has given to our family. Attending the 2009 National Donor Recognition Ceremony & Workshop in Washington D.C. gave our family a chance to share Amaya’s story with other families who know all too well what we went through.

Walking through the display of quilt squares displaying organ donors from across the country at the start of the weekend was an incredible experience. How interesting it was to be able learn about someone’s life by the fragment of it captured on a small quilt square. These were quilts with so many people from many different walks of life, sewn together by a unifying act of sweet kindness, giving the gift of life.

I met many families and heard many stories, from moms who lost babies, toddlers, teens and adult children. From nieces and nephews who missed their uncle, and from a teen whose little sister had became an angel. These stories touched me and reminded me of how precious my few memories of Amaya are. I was reassured that my experience was not just mine. There were people whose stories sounded like ours.

We really enjoyed the Making Memories Workshop. Together the donor families shared memories of our loved ones, shedding tears and sharing laughs and photos. Although heart wrenching, it was easy to for us share that pain with others who listened wholeheartedly and comforted us with similar experiences. Amaya’s father and grandma made lovely frames and I made a memory book that I carry with me often.

My mom, boyfriend and I braved our first plane ride to get to Washington D.C. we had a great time taking pictures and being tourists outside of the White House, seeing the Capitol Building and Washington Monument . Riding the subway to Union Station was exciting too, especially the extremely long escalator going down to it!

My favorite part of the weekend was not the sightseeing tour, nor riding a plane for the very first time, (although it was thrilling). What I loved most were the hugs. Not only did I meet donor families, but recipients as well. I met a man who, because of a double lung transplant, he was able to dance again, when before the surgery he could barely walk. I met a young girl who as a tiny baby received a heart transplant and now as a teen can do anything she aspires to. The warm hugs and whispers of gratitude from recipients reassured me that although I haven’t met and may never meet the young boy who received Amaya’s organs, he and his family are grateful to us for our decision.

I would like to give a sincere thank you to the Wisconsin Donor Network, Lynn Baudo, Steph Baudo and Clarence Thomas for making this experience possible for our family. It was an experience that we won’t soon forget.
© Copyright 2009 keghaznavi (keghaznavi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1603113-Wisconsin-Donor-Network-Article