*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1603142-Born-of-Fire
Rated: GC · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1603142
Cora reaches out to touch a forbidden flame, dancing with the devil.
11077 words.

This is rated GC for strong language, strong sexuality, and Violence. Those sensitive to those things should find something else to read. I am writing this in huge chunks so this would be somewhere near the middle of the beginning of the story. The rest is being worked on offline *Bigsmile* I would appreciate suggestions and comments on how it's developing thanks a billion!!



         Cora was silent as she watched Nydryn seethe, his back to her, his hand pressed against the wet brick of the building. They were in a musty alley, and the scent of human waste, garbage, and lord knew what else was making her more than a little dizzy. She forced the thought from her mind and glanced down at her shoes struggling to give him a little privacy, trying not to go to him, when all she wanted was to be at his side, wrap her arms around him and tell him it was alright, that she would never believe sure things of him.

         "He once killed a woman, ripped her to shreds, raped her, and left her to die." Hades’ words came to her sliding through the corridors of her mind. His eyes had been steady his tone cold and unfeeling, his face stony. "Nydryn, was made for nothing more than to destroy Cora, he'll never be anything more than the monster I made him to be."

         Her blood had run cold at the revelation. She glanced down at her knee-length, strapless dress, the black, and red material fluttered gently on the wind. She would never forget the rage seeping from Nydryn in waves, the humiliation he must have felt, as they'd stood there and listened to the others deride and insult him. Someone so strong, so powerful, he'd been brought to his knees. Her heart had bled for him. And what had she done? Sit there. She was as bad as the rest.

          Cora kicked at a black rock with the toe of her stiletto. He was fierce there was no doubt about that, he was dangerous, and powerful, she'd never thought such things to be real before meeting him but she would not believe that he was evil, could not believe the things she'd been told her he'd done. "Nydryn takes pleasure in the spilling of blood, it is his nature. You would do well not to get too close Cora." Hades words entered her mind once more unbidden.

          Cora took a step forward just as Nydryn pulled his fist back slamming it into the side of the warehouse building over and over. She stopped, her hands flying to her mouth, her eyes filling with tears. He was angry, and with good reason, but he was also hurt . He whirled to face her, and she ran into his arms, wrapping her slim arms around his powerful torso, she pressed her face to his chest, feeling his heart beat against her cheek. He didn't hold her in return , but he didn't push her away either and that was something. They could say what they wanted, she'd seen some of what Nydryn could do, but as repulsive as those things seemed then, he'd never hurt her, not really, she knew somewhere deep down that she was safe with him. She wanted him to trust her.

         Soulreaper.

         The word twisted and turned through the stark corridors of her mind, the more she tried to deny it the larger it got. Expanding growing until it strained against the very walls of her skull. Cora fought to keep her gaze steady and unflinching, struggled to keep thinking it didn't matter.

         "I don’t believe them, I know you aren't the way they said." Nydyrn stiffened staring down at the woman holding him, her dark head lowered, her face pressed against his chest. She held him without fear. Foolishly. He grasped her arms and pushed her away, stepping back, letting her see his rage. His eyes burned, his body was ready to fight.

         "you don’t know me Cora," He ground out the words, his face a mask of anger. "Who are you to say what I am or am not?" Cora held his gaze, her jaw set, her eyes unwavering.

         "You would tell me that you do not find it repulsive how I feed, how I destroy, when I ripped out that mans throat, and drank away his life, this didn't disgust and frighten you?" He was being intentionally harsh, intimidating, he allowed his power to fill every inch of his body, towering over her at his full height. Her stare waivered, her eyes filling with tears, and cheeks burning a dull crimson before she lowered her gaze to the ground. Nydryn scoffed. She couldn't deny his words, those things, the things she'd seen with her own eyes were hard to understand.

         Nydryn felt his body shudder as a fresh wave of rage slipped over him. He was just as disgusting to her now, as he had always been to the rest. He glared at the small woman before him now, and couldn't help the wave of regret that passed over him. He'd never regretted his existence before her, never doubted his purpose. He'd served Hades unwaveringly, but that bastard had done nothing but make his already fucked up miserable existence even more so. Hades created and destroyed at his whim, he was nothing but a pawn to him. " I know what I am Cora, and you can't even begin to understand it," he hesitated before going on. "I know what I need, and what I don’t need. I don’t need, nor want you." He looked away from the hurt in her eyes, the fresh tears that sprung. And at that moment he felt every bit the monster everyone thought he was. Nydryn forced himself to go on. "You make me weak, when I need to be my strongest." A single tear escaped the confines of her eye and suspended itself on her lower lashes before falling. "The sooner you go the sooner I can go back to being myself." Cora shook her head, reaching out. Nydryn’s eyes blazed and he stepped forward with a growl,

          Cora cried out leaping back, fighting the urge to bolt from the alley. He was hurt, he needed her. She scoffed inwardly at the thought no soon as it was out. What could she do to help him, it was obvious that Nydryn had more than survived with little to no one caring from him, he didn’t seem to need anyone.

         Nydryn was right she'd noticed how much he seemed to battle with himself, saw how much it cost him to hold his rage in check, the way he'd held himself back when he'd killed that man who had attacked her. She'd seen it once before that time, but it hadn't been anywhere near as grisly. He'd been out of control completely, and in every since of the word. She had a feeling that if she hadn't been there things would have gotten a lot nastier. But there were those other times. He'd saved her from those who'd meant her harm, he'd been her one companion for the past few weeks, he'd come when she'd been so alone, so afraid. And now? She couldn't allow him to believe she'd ever abandon him.


         Then there was that way he'd touched her, kissed her, the feeling she got when his mouth was on her. He hadn't been out of control then. He'd almost seemed content. Cora forced herself forward again, reaching out, her fingers trembling now.

         Nydryn studied the slim fingers floating through the air back to him, Her brown eyes were trained on him, her shoulders tense but still she took another step, and another until her hand rested on his arm again. Innocent.

         "I trust you now Nydryn. I cannot believe that you would ever hurt me. Whether or not you need me, or want me," she swallowed. "I'm here, and I'm not afraid." The bravado in her voice coloring her words was hard fought for and she held his gaze with her own, her heart flailing behind her ribs as she willed herself to hold his stare, his eyes, burning as blue as the hottest flame.

         "You are playing games you know nothing about Cora," He stepped back his eyes holding her captive. " You have no idea what I am capable of. There is nothing for you here." Nydryn took a deep breath closing his eyes against the unexpected knot rising in his throat. He felt weak when he was around her, that much was true. He didn't have control over that other side of himself, always he was fighting, a constant struggle. It hadn't been this way until he'd tasted her, and then, the Beast had been unleashed. He'd learned to survive without it, but now he was forced to ask himself if he'd ever had any control at all. He couldn’t allow her to face what lay within him. Never. It had no soul, no conscience. It killed indiscriminately and thirsted for blood for life. It was the reason he was forced to feed, otherwise he needed no nourishment at all. The Reaper, he needed life to exist, If the Beast was sated it would stay put, at heel. With her he could not deny the nature he was given. He thirsted and he took, he hungered and he attacked.

         Cora's back straightened, shoulders squared. From the west a thin breeze lifted the hem of her skirt, sending the lace fluttering around her bare knees. Pale eyes burned her, steady, unwavering. She finally realized he'd meant every word he'd spoken. Within her chest her heart somehow still beat unbroken. How? How could he expect her to believe these things of him? How could he think she would ever see him as the others did. When she looked into his eyes she remembered only the gentleness of his touch, the urgency of his desire for her. He wasn't perfect, who was? But none of that mattered now. He was not what they'd branded him.

         Soulreaper.

         Nydryn. She said his name over and over in her head, like a mantra, willing it to replace that other…

          Cora pushed the her hair back away from her face, her up do having fallen during their hasty retreat, and allowed her eyes to meet his icy glare.

         "If you expect me to believe you aren't human, fine, if you want me to believe you will live forever, I will," She almost choked on her last words. " If you tell me I can never be part of your life, your world, I can find a way to accept that. But I cannot, and I will not believe like they do that you are some heart less monster." Tears stung at her eyes, and as she stepped toward him he retreated as if he'd been burned by her words. "I could never look at you that way Night." His jaw tensed, it's angles sharpening, his pale eyes narrowed on her. Nydryn's chest rose and fell, beneath the black shirt he wore. His dark hair was unbound, floating on the same breeze now assaulting her thin clothing. He moved forward then, his eyes bright, nearly glowing in the dimness of the alley they occupied, she gasped as his hands came to her face, his thumbs sliding over her full bottom lip. "You'll never understand the ways of my world, of my existence, and I was wrong to let this go so far." he stepped away, and Cora mourned the loss of his touch. "We can never be. I am Hades' soldier his creation, nothing more, I can never be more than what he made me to be." He straightened, his features hardening into the expressionless mask she knew so well. "The sooner you realize that Cora, the better off you'll be, the better off we'll both be." His cold stared moved over her face, his mouth pressed into a severe line, those lips she'd come to covet nearly vanished.

         Cora wrapped her arms around her waist, lowering her gaze to the rain-slicked pavement, suddenly feeling the crisp October air biting at her exposed arms. The dress was beautiful, but in no way ideal for the weather, and now in spite of the horrible experience she'd just had, she was wishing they were once again in the balmy room of the club. She'd had no idea… Now they stood alone the night fleeing from the coming dawn, back in the city, here she was familiar with her surroundings, yet somehow it didn't feel the same. She'd tasted the forbidden fruit, her eyes had been opened. Cora raised her eyes to meet Nydryn's back, he'd turned from her again, his broad shoulders seemed massive within the tight confines of the dirty alley, every muscle there strained against the protesting cotton of his shirt, and even in the face of this recent disappointment she couldn't help but admire his strength. Not in her all years had she met anyone like this man. He was what he said he was, a soldier in every way, he'd tortured, murdered, he'd done evil, but he was not evil himself. What she'd glimpsed in his gaze just hours before had been anything but, the passion she'd felt from him, that had been real, and it had not been evil. She didn't care what he'd been lead to believe, what he felt she should believe, none of it mattered in the face of these rising feelings.

         And just what feelings are those? She thought silently, but there was no name, she couldn't be certain.

         "We cannot wait here til dawn. We must leave." His voice was strained deep, he knew he'd hurt her. "Come." Cora stared for a moment at his extended hand, and took a deep breath before stepping forward and placing her fingers in his calloused palm. The heat of his skin was always shocking, but she felt as if she were finally getting used to it.

         Nydryn hurried them from the alley, his crystal gaze moving wryly over the abandoned streets. The roads lay bare, rain slicked like black rivers in the night, they were on the outskirts, and alone for the moment, but there was something….

         "Where are we going."? The softness of her tone caressed him from over his shoulder, floating on the night air, wrapping itself around his anger, and snuffing it like a candle. Frustration quickly replaced it, he'd been better off watching her from afar, and if he'd not been forced to reveal himself, this would never have happened. Over and over he'd reasoned with himself that this had been inevitable, that he had no choice now but to keep her close to him, for her own safety. More and more he was beginning to wonder if he didn't have his own selfish motives.

         "Hotel. It isn't far." He struggled to keep his tone unfamiliar as he dragged her quickly behind him. Apprehension was a snake in the pit of his stomach uncoiling, ready to strike. They were being hunted, he was certain of it now. There was no mistaking the acrid scent intertwined in the breeze.

         Not now. He thought, a low growl starting in this chest. He was in no mood for battle; in his current emotional state he was liable to get them both killed. Nydryn squeezed her hand a little too tightly and pulled her closer to his side, as he slipped into another narrow alley between two apartment buildings. They needed to move and quickly, and they needed to do it with stealth.

         "Nydryn?" He hated the way her voice had shrunk, the way it quivered in fear of what they both knew was coming.

         “ don’t speak." He pulled her closer wrapping an arm around her narrow waist, shielding her with his body, as they moved in the shadows, from alley to alley, getting closer now to the city center.

         The dagger came out of no where, slamming with a sickening thud into the tight muscel of his shoulder. Nydryn arched, the roar erupting from his throat purely animal as he swept the blade out of his body, palming it and turning, shielding Cora with his body. She screamed falling to her knees at his back heedless of the sharp rocks and glass cutting into her knees. Nydryn glanced over his shoulder at her, his once clear eyes burning an electric, intense blue. Cora gasped at the ferocity there. "Stay back," It was a demand barked so dangerously she didn't dare disobey. She drew herself up against the musty wall of the alley as he turned back to face his assailant crouching low as if ready to pounce. His breath burst from his body in violent hisses.

         "Hello Nydryn." The feminine voice echoed on the gentle breeze, and Nydryn studied the small woman standing at the end of the alley. He strength swelled, his senses awakened, and a thin smiled curled the corners of his mouth.

         "What are you doing here Persephone?" She was alone, a generally small woman, her short shapely legs wrapped in a pair of dark jeans, and spread aggressively. Her beautiful face was stony, and bright in the fading darkness surrounding the trio. Her hair was a cloud of flaming red falling in soft waves, brushing at her flaring hips. He took note of the massive dagger she held in her fist.

         "I think you know what I want." Her vivid green gaze lighted on Cora cowering behind his bulk.

         " I know what you want, and I know what you can't have. Go home, this doesn't concern you." The goddess started forward, her dangerously high heels snapping loudly on the gravel of the alley. He wouldn't underestimate Persephone, she was far from a damsel in distress anymore, and enjoyed picking off her Husbands soldiers, she'd tried for his head more than once, and so he was certain she was one to watch.

         " Did you think you could hide her from me?" Nydryn crouched lower, baring his fangs at the woman approaching.

         "Stand back," He growled, aware of how he sounded. He was more monster now than ever, desperate to protect the woman behind him. Depending on him. An amused grin spread Persephone's full lips, but she stopped, raising her thin arms, still clutching the vicious looking blade, one which belonged to her husband, made to kill immortals one she most likely stole.

         "We both know you wont hurt me Night. You cannot." She dropped into a ready stance, her gaze hardening. Nydryn released another warning growl from deep within his chest, as her eyes began to emit an eerie red glow. " Come darling, let's go."

         "Don't fuck with me," His voice erupted, a deep explosion, reverberating off the thick walls of the buildings embracing them. He held the dagger he'd extracted from his flesh before him prepared to use it on her peaches and cream skin.

         Cora trembled watching the exchange, her fists pressed tightly against her mouth to keep from screaming. She'd seen so much, and now this. The woman was no more than five foot two, and yet the power she exuded could not be denied. Persephone. Of course. She was deadly looking, her prefect features deceptive in their beauty, and she was ready to attack Nydryn. Nydryn, Six feet six inches of pure muscle and power, he looked like he could snap her in half without even exerting himself, yet he was ready to fight the small woman. She drew in her breath, feeling a new kind of fear wrap itself around her insides, squeezing tight until she barely felt able to breathe. Then Persephone rushed forward, moving so fast she would have missed the movement had she blinked.

         Nydryn whirled as Persephone rushed him, her dagger sliding easily into the flesh between his collar bone and shoulder. His fist connected with her chest, and he felt the vulnerable cartilage there give, and she was flung back against the wall of the adjacent building. Blood oozed from the new gash in his arm, warm and in sharp contrast to the brisk air of the fast approaching dawn. He glared at the woman smiling back her him, her own blood staining her gently curved lips. He didn't want to play her games.

         "I'd forgotten how strong you are." Emerald eyes fell upon Cora. "Or maybe you protect the girl for your own cause now." Silence fell, aside from the deep breathing of Nydryn and his assailant. Then, "Come here," The Goddess' voice was deep and smoky, pure seduction, he knew it well.
          Cora relaxed, her body becoming lighter than she'd ever remembered it being. Persephone's voice was soft, echoing in her mind, beckoning to her. She rose slowly.

         Nydryn threw his weight against the Goddess pinning her to the brick building, pulling Cora from her entrancement. "there is nothing for you here Persephone." He bent his face close to her ear. His large hand fully enveloping her slim, warm throat. Her pulse raced beneath his palm, a dull rhythm, life in his hands. He could almost taste the Ambrosia in her blood, in that vein…

         "You know as well as I what Hades has planned for her, I'm protecting myself." All of a sudden she was just a woman, Her body no longer aggressive. She hadn’t come to kill him, or even to really try. Nydryn drew back at the pathetic tone in her voice. What did he detect there? Hurt? Her Green eyes were trained on Cora's form over his shoulder, and they were filled with hate, malice… Jealousy. "I cannot allow her to take my place. I wont stop until she's finished." Nydryn snapped his fangs at her throat, her words causing a new wave of anger. He was satisfied with the shudder that slipped over her slim little body.

         " I don’t know any more than you do what she is to Hades but he will not have her." He bit out the words, his teeth clenched so tightly he felt they might crack.

         "You're a fool if you think you can protect her from him, he made you." And with that she vanished, the air where she'd stood pressed between his body and the cold brick shimmering with the residue of her power. Nydryn let his head fall against the wall, welcoming the sting of the jagged rocks. He closed his eyes, dragging an unsteady breath into his lungs. Did Hades want her as his lover? He tensed at the feel of Cora's hand on his back.

         "You're hurt." Cora muttered the words, fighting the waves of nausea rushing over her, battering her senses relentlessly. He turned toward her, his eyes concerned, searching, no longer that ethereal blue, but their normal grayish hue. She put her hand out, coming in contact with the hard wall of his chest, as she swayed, dark spots of red and black swimming across her field of vision. A dull throb started in the back of her skull, and then she knew no more.




Chapter


         Cora stood silently in the center of the dark room, her breath bursting from her body in gasps, her small chest rising and falling beneath the black tank top she wore to bed. Her legs were bare, and her knees were unsteady under her weight. She wasn't alone. Outside the wind had picked up, hurling the rain against her curtain-less windows, casting the shadows of the slim droplets over the space like tiny black ribbons. Her hands shook, but she didn't dare to turn on the light. Her dark eyes were trained on the only corner in her room completely draped in darkness. HE was there. There was no mistaking his power, the dull eerie light that seemed to simply radiate from his pores. Beneath her ribs her heart thrummed dangerously fast.

         "You know I'm here." Cora felt her spine stiffen and her chin incline slightly in spite of the terror slowly curling itself around her lungs. He was right, she'd known he was there the moment he'd entered her bedroom. The power within him was immense pressing outward, filling every available space in the room. "Do you know who I am?" His voice was low, deep and filled with seduction. A voice that promised many pleasures, sliding like silk over her quivering flesh. Her Vision swam slightly as a wave of lightheadedness settled on her shoulders.

         "Hades." She didn't know how she'd known, only that she was certain she was right , and as he stepped from the shadows her suspicion was confirmed. Hades was everything she'd remembered. Tall, and perfectly toned, hair dark and thick, falling untamed to shoulders that were impossibly broad. Cora allowed her eyes to wonder, taking in the vision before her, his eyes were a deep glowing violet set deep beneath thick slightly arching brows, his lips were perfectly shaped, the bottom one full and pouty, moist, as if he'd been licking it. Hades' violet gaze met with hers and his mouth curled slightly at the corners into a mocking grin, she drew in a sharp breath as his tongue drifted over his lower lip, he'd known her thoughts, and he could see the hunger in her eyes.

         "I need you with me, we are destined for one another Cora." HE stepped closer, and she was powerless to move, her dark lashes fluttering down as he stepped behind her, strong arms encircling her waist, pulling her firmly against the hardness of his body. HE was so, unequivocally, male. His body was all hard planes and rippling muscle, that body now pressed against her so completely. Cora felt her heart speed up impossibly fast, her breath coming now in even shorter bursts, as he lowered his lips to her neck, his tongue sliding lazily over her racing pulse. A soft moan escaped her gently parted lips and she pressed back against him begging for more… His hands moved up her body, and he splayed one across her hips just above that spot where she was aching for him to touch, where she'd become ridiculously moist. "I know what you need," His voice rolled over her, seeping, it seemed into her soul, holding it captive. In her mind she played over and over all the things they could do together with their bodies, with her legs wrapped around his narrow waist…

         Nydryn had sat at her bedside all morning, and now the twilight was surrendering to the darkness. His energy was returning, and though his wounds had healed long ago he still didn't feel at his best. Waiting was the one thing he hated in life, he wasn't a patient man, not in any sense of the word. Now sitting in the darkening room, he was so aware of each passing moment. Each moment spent so close to the young innocent woman sleeping in the oversized bed. He stole a glance in her direction, her dark eyes were closed, lashes fanning over perfectly tanned cheeks, her skin was soft, flawless, her lips a bit thin, slightly parted now in her sleep, her breath whispered past her even teeth. Nydryn reached out, capturing a strand of the honey colored hair falling over her shoulder. Smooth, beautiful. Her small breasts rose and fell in her sleep, and a barely audible moan filled the silence in the room. Nydryn tensed, every muscle in his body tightening. He was instantly hot, instantly wanted the woman at his side. All at once the memory of her soft lips beneath his, her his body laying over all her beautiful curves returned, all the heat of that moment they'd shared, the scent of her arousal, the taste of her wetness on his tongue…. Nydryn shifted uncomfortably pulling his gaze from her form. He was a fool to want her like this, foolish to become so inflamed over something he could never have. But forbidden fruit, was, and always had been the most tempting, and fuck was she a temptation beyond all others, each brush of her hand, each innocent look or smile, every word that tumbled past her lips made him want her more, made him want to abandon all reason all doubt, and forsake all he'd known. Cora Trent shouldn't have meant so much to him, but the moment the woman had stepped into his life he'd known nothing would ever be the same, everything was different, and forever would be.

         Nydryn stood away from the bed, pushing a shaking hand through his mass of dark hair. She drove him to distraction, something he could not afford, just as he couldn't continue with his foolish desires. She belonged to Hades, and he was to deliver her there untouched. Frustration rose up from deep within his chest. Hades had to have known what would happen. Why was he testing him? Nydryn let his eyes drift closed, drawing in a deep breath, he struggled for composer, something he'd never had trouble with. Until Cora. He gritted his teeth, a feral growl erupting from his mouth as he left the room, and the woman sleeping in the bed. He needed to feed.


         Cora turned, her eyes widening slightly when she met Hades' gaze. There was no reason a man should be so beautiful. But then he wasn't a man was he? Nor was Nydryn, but that didn't make him any less appealing. Cora tensed, drawing herself away from Hades' warm grasp. What was that? Hades' eyes flickered, his featured hardening. She could have sworn she'd heard… Nydryn? Her eyes darted around the darkened room, searching. But there was just the two of them. Hades' laugh filled the room, rolling from deep within his chest, falling on her ears a deep bass. She froze, her wide eyes trained on the man who had so easily seduced her.

         "This isn't real, Where is Nydryn?" Hades shook his dark head, leaning lazily against the bedroom wall. All pretense was gone, and now she could see him for what he was. His beauty was dark, tainted.

         "Night, has other business to attend. He has a command to follow and he will not fail." Hades paused, his violet gaze blackening, as he drew himself up to is full height. "You will come to me, and when you do, Night will be the last thing on your mind." Cora shook her head, trying to gather any courage in her body.

         "He protected me," She was aware that her voice sounded small, barely there, struggling to be heard past the drumming of her heart, and the blood rushing in her ears. She's never been more afraid, Hades' power was a crushing force in the room pressing on her until she felt as if every bone in her body might shatter.

         "I ordered him to protect you, to bring you to me in one piece." Hades' flicked his wrist frustration creasing his brow. " I have much to prepare, and so I regret that I must depart". He stepped toward her, a faint smile on his sensual lips. "We will certainly meet again Cora." She gasped falling to the ground as the room exploded with violent white light. She pressed her hands over her ears at the sound of the windows shattering, and couldn't help the scream that was torn from her body…

*Note*

         “ I almost thought you wouldn’t follow,” The woman's husky voice drifted up somehow past the distant sounds of city chaos. Nydryn grinned down at her, why wouldn't he have followed her into the dark confines of the alleyway? She was pretty enough, her body right off the cover of Victoria's Secret, and just as scantly clad in her black micro mini, low cut, mid-drift bearing tank top, and knee high leather boots. She was tall, nearly six feet in her shoes, her smooth skin was a warm olive tone, her dark chocolate eyes intense and searching, those eyes had caught and held his from across the crowded street, and he'd known she would be the one. Her blood was hot, and ran thick in her veins. No doubt she'd just left one of the many night clubs lining the busy streets, her clothes reeked of the scent of sweat, and lust. Nydryn pressed her body tightly against the hard stones of the snug alley and his own quickly hardening body. The call of her life, her blood was maddening. How long had it been since he'd last fed? A week? A day? He couldn't begin to remember, time seemed to run into itself these days. "You have a name?" Her voice was edged now with desire, her small hands moving over the muscles of his sides, grasping his hips, her own moving forward. She ground herself shamelessly against him.

         "Night." He whispered roughly against the soft lobe of her ear, capturing the sensitive skin between his teeth, incisors lengthening, he allowed himself a nip at her pliant flesh. The woman gasped against the subtle press of his fangs on her ear, and moaned deep in her throat as his lips continued on a path to her throat. Nydryn could feel the rush of her blood beneath his lips, her pulse racing faster, her life. Impossibly he hardened even more, pressing closer, satisfied when the human arched against him, her hands greedy, urging him on. He raised his head studying her from beneath heavy dark lashes. His hand skimmed the curve of her exposed thigh, and lingered at the hem, inches from the heat radiating from between her legs. Her dark head was thrown back, her full lips slightly parted.

         "Don’t stop," She breathed, a slight shudder sliding over her body. Her pulse beat so hard it was visible beneath her skin, her throat beckoned, and yet he hesitated. His body burned for sustenance, heat radiating from him like a furnace, as his control slipped slightly, and still he lingered there. He forced himself to stay where he was, he needed to feed, without blood, without a taste of her soul he was useless, such was the way of his curse, so why wasn't he taking it? Nydryn pressed his lips against the soft flesh of her throat, suddenly aware of the excessive amount of perfume she wore, the lingering scent of sex. His body cooled, arousal slowly giving way to mere compliance. He scraped his teeth gently over the brunettes pulse. Once. Twice. She squirmed, moaning once more before he sink his fangs deep. HER body tensed, and he could sense her arousal multiplying as his slipped slowly away. This was a necessity, nothing more. There was no time to play. Cora waited.

         Cora.

         Her name reverberated off the walls of his mind. Nydryn drew hard on the tapped vein, his fingers bit into the flesh of her narrow hips, pulling her closer as he took from her what he so needed. The sweet life giving liquid filled his mouth, sliding over his tongue, sweet and spicy, ambrosial. He felt his power swell as he continued to feed from the stranger, her hands grasping his shoulders in desperation, fear finally making it's way into her mind, she would begin to panic soon. He could kill her, feed from her soul, feel her strength become his own… Nydryn pulled away with a gasp, his grip on her tightening, making tiny crescents of blood on her sensitive skin. The woman met his gaze, her eyes wide, her face a mask of pure horror as the realization of what had just happed occurred to her. Nydryn didn't bother to hide, he didn't care if she saw the tiny blue flames licking across his skin, sliding over his body likes waves against the shore. He knew he appeared every bit the monster he was.

         "What are you?" The words fell from her lips at a whisper and her weak body slipped slowly down the wall, into a crumpled heap at his feet. Nydryn stepped back, feeling revived if not totally satisfied. In the morning she would remember nothing. They never did after he took from them. He pushed a trembling hand through his hair, as he stared down at the woman. He'd thought her beautiful in his hunger, and now she lay helpless at his feet, she appeared sick, a bit too thin, her "thick dark hair" was damp with sweat and tangled, make up smeared over her face. He could have made the experience more pleasant for her, made it so she didn't feel the least bit of pain. He might have taken her blood while he was buried deep within her, moans of pleasure filling the dark alley as she came for him over and over, but instead, Cora. Always her. Somehow it had all seemed like a betrayal. It was the second time he'd denied himself for her comfort, for her feelings, she cared for him, foolishly, but the feelings were there none the less. Somehow he didn’t have it in him yet to betray those feelings. Not even to sustain, and satisfy himself. Somehow he knew no one would be able to sate his hunger like Cora would. Her blood would be fresh, sweet, innocent, and as intoxicating at the woman herself. He knew he would never be able to get his fill of her, never have enough. He knew he'd want more.

         Nydryn groaned deep in his throat as he felt his cock harden again. He wanted her, he'd never denied that much, but he wasn't certain he was ready to forsake all he knew for a taste of her innocence.


         The only sound in the room was the sound of her ragged breathing. Cora's gaze shot around the space. She didn't remember getting there, didn't remember coming in or lying down, yet she'd been sleeping. A bone rattling shudder wracked her body and a flush heated her cheeks as she recalled the dream she'd been having. Hades. He wanted her, she was certain of it. But for what? "I will not allow her to take my place". Hadn't Persephone said those words in the alley. Did Hades plan to make her his lover? Cora drew in a deep breath, trying to push the dream from her memory, his rough calloused hands on her body, his sweet breath caressing her neck, that mouth…. She slid to the edge of the bed, steadying herself there allowing her eyes to wonder about the decadent room. The only hotel she'd ever stayed in had been a roadside Inn when she was a child, and this made the small room she'd gone crazy over seem like a shoe box. It was a suite, decked out in patterns of smooth Ivory and Gold. Thick patterned drapes hung from floor to ceiling windows along one side. There was a sitting area, with a three seat sofa, two chairs and a chaise. She placed her bare feet on the floor, and felt them sink ankle deep into the softest carpet she'd ever felt. It's ivory fibers tickled her skin as she padded across the room to the bathroom. The whitewash door was open wide, the light already on revealing a room almost a large as the suite itself. The bathroom was a vision of comfort and elegance, Ivory marble covered the floor in one huge slab, in the center stood the biggest bathtub she'd ever seen in her life. The light was dimmed throwing it's pale yellow glow over the ivory gold wallpaper. A shower stood out in the far corner, it's glass door thrown wide, moisture glistening in small beads like crystal. Nydryn had probably used it.

         The thought of him standing stark naked, hot water and suds rolling over all the hard muscles and planes of his body made her hot, and sent moisture instantly pooling between her thighs. She would never be able to explain what made her want him so badly. Until him she'd never had many friends, and had definitely never cared much for any men, now, she couldn’t' control herself. Every time she saw him or thought of him she was hot, wet, ready to take him however he was willing to give himself. He was dangerous. One didn't have to know him to see that, the man carried danger on his back, it was etched into each of his hard features; into that hard jaw, those broad shoulders, mirrored in his haunting pale eyes, eyes that made you think he knew every thought coursing through your mind. Cora shuddered. When she'd first met him she'd been frightened, couldn't wait to get away. His demeanor, everything he said or did dripped power beyond human comprehension. He isn't human. The words slipped unbidden into her thoughts, and should have cooled her desire, instead they ignited them further. He was something forbidden, should have disgusted her, and yet she was so turned on by the thought. You saw him kill a man.
         Soulreaper.

         That one gave her pause. She had seen him kill a man, saw the blood splatter on his perfect face, saw those eyes glowing that eerie blue. Nydryn had been ruthless, feeding off the man's blood as he'd died. Ripping open his chest, parting his ribs… A wave of nausea rolled over her, finally cooling the heat that had been running in her veins. How could she belong to his world? How would she deal when he needed that? He'd told her the feeding gives him his strength, he needed it sometimes the blood, sometimes the very soul. Would he take her like that, destroy her? Cora leaned against the cool marble of the pedestal sink, dizziness finally winning over her initial awe of her surroundings. Maybe she had been fooling herself. She turned facing the gilded mirror hanging over the sink. She looked as awful as she now felt, her skin was pallid, purple rings marred the sensitive skin under her eyes, shinning with fatigue, and dirt streaked her cheek. Her lips were dry, and slightly cracked, hair hanging in limp tangles.

         "You're awake." She whirled, her breath exploding from her lungs, her heart jumping nearly through her ribs. Nydryn stood in the doorway, his bulk nearly filling the frame, his silvery gaze focused on her, unwavering. Cora glanced down at her feet aware of the state she was in. She looked a mess, while he stood there his perfection once more clad head to toe in black, black loose fitting slacks, a black fitted tee, all those muscles bulging, that nearly too perfect face.

         "You were already gone so I just got up, I—", she couldn't find her words with him standing there, his eyes so intense, his scrutiny sending shockwaves over her body once more in spite of the way she knew she looked. Cora forced herself to meet his gaze. "This is a very nice place, but you really didn't need to get a place like this for me." He shrugged, the movement soft, fluid and graceful even with his massive size. He crossed his arms over his chest, and Cora felt her body heat even more as the cotton of his shirt drew tight outlining each dip and ripple.

         "I didn't do it for you Cora, " Her name rolling off his tongue mixing with his deep bass and that exotic accent made her heart melt into her veins. "Perhaps I also enjoy a bit of luxury." She should have been embarrassed, her breathing sped.

         "Well, I might have been fine with any room." He stepped away from the doorway, back into the room.

         "You should get freshened up, you'll need your strength." Now a blush did heat her cheeks. He'd noticed how horrible she looked, while she'd stood there ogling his perfection. Cora glanced down as he closed the door and turned, vanishing into the room. There was nothing further from the truth, she would need every ounce of strength she had to deal with this man, and she could use a stronger will. As she turned back toward the mirror she shuddered at the thought of taking her clothes off. He was there, just on the other side of the wall, probably stalking around the room, his muscles tense, his jaw tight. A person didn't need to know Nydryn well to know when he was pissed off about something, and right now he definitely was. Nonchalance was something she'd always been able to see through. Cora stepped back, glancing once more at the door to make sure it was locked before reaching behind her to unzip her ruined dress.




Chapter


         Nydryn paced the length of the room, he felt ready. Ready for this to be over ready to move on with his existence. He scoffed, reaching behind him into the waistband of his slacks. Nydryn removed the knife he'd tucked there before leaving, and palmed the blade squeezing tight, feeling the metal cut into his palm, the tension slowly seeping out of his pores. The wound throbbed for a moment before sealing itself shut, crimson droplets of blood fell to the pale carpet. He cursed flicking his wrist and sending the blade flying across the room embedding itself in the far wall. He watched the hilt quiver and shudder.

         Hades wants her.

         Hades wants Cora.

         He plans to keep her there.

          The thoughts entered his mind unbidden, and Nydryn roared in anger and frustration. He'd never been so in the dark, had never been so confused. It just wasn’t his nature. This was weakness. He needed to know what was with the girl.

         "Hades." He summoned the God on a deep growl, his teeth clenched, fangs coming to life within his mouth. He paused, his chest rising and falling as he seethed. Waiting. "Show yourself!" His patience was wearing thin, there was no one in all of the cosmos who could get away with talking to Hades like he did, but he and the God had a history, and he wasn't about to be submissive to anyone, especially not the man who'd given him this life. Nydryn felt his muscles tense as a warm mist drifted into the room, swirling low to the ground, shrouding the suite in a gray veil. "What are you playing at Hades, I demand to know." Nydryn snapped his fangs, his body itching to attack, his power ebbing and flowing through his veins. He was close, needed to calm himself. Cora Her name filled his thoughts. She didn't need to know, his true side. He wasn't sure she could handle it.

         "You're right, she does seem a little fragile for all that." Hades materialized before him. And Nydryn drew back in disgust. The God stood before him completely nude, his body sweat slicked, and fully erect. He turned his back.

         "You're disgusting." Hades laughter filled the space, and Nydryn could have sworn the floor shuddered.

         "Persephone was feeling a little… Insecure after your last encounter, I had to give her a little reassurance." Hades laughed deep in his throat again. "You may turn around Night." Nydryn whirled and found Hades clothed in A pair close fitting dark blue jeans, he wore a dark wool pea coat, and a steel gray turtle neck shirt. Dark stubble speckled his hard jaw, and Auburn hair fell in soft waves to his broad shoulders. Nydryn scoffed. No one could say the God didn't have impeccable taste, he looked like a Model right out of a Yves Saint Laurent ad. "Now, what the fuck gives you reason to think you can summon me at will, and speak to me as if I am your lesser?" His vivid eyes darkened to an oily black, burning brightly. Nydryn knew his anger still wasn't at its peak. Only simmering beneath the surface. The bastard has some nerve. Nydryn thought. To pretend he's the one who should be offended.

         "What is this? Some kind of game?" A mask of amusement dropped over Hades' features, but the fire continued to burn in his gaze, He quirked a thick dark brow.

         "You cannot handle the girl?" He asked, his tone mocking. "She seemed easy enough to me, and very willing." Nydryn's eyes widened as he pulled another of his daggers out of the holster under his arm, he moved toward Hades, pressing the cold steel against the thick vein in his neck. Hades didn't flinch, but Nydryn could feel his anger growing, permeating the air surrounding them. He felt his own power mixing with that of the God's, and the air was sparking with the electric heat of it. He pressed hard pleased when a thin red line appeared within the stubble on Hades' neck, and blood ran scarlet, staining the expensive sweater he wore. "You—"

         Hades moved quickly pressing his palm against Nydryn's chest, sending the man flying backward, pinned against the far wall. Hades held him there with his power, moving slowly forward.

         "You, would do well to remember who is superior here Night, you can never match my power", Nydryn gritted his teeth, and he felt his chest tighten, as if a ton of bricks had been piled there, his bones screamed in protest against the incredible pressure, cold fingers wrapped themselves around his heart, and squeezed.. He wouldn't cry out, wouldn't give the asshole the satisfaction.

         "Fuck you," He spat, blood seeping from between his teeth. Hades' smile was empty, cold.

         "You are to do as I asked, you will protect her for what's left of the month, then you will bring her to me."

         "Why not just take her now? Who is she Hades? What's her life to you?" Hades' eyes blazed as he used his power to force Nydryn to the floor, down on his knees. The God towered over him, reminding him of who held the reins.

         "I have no need to discuss my matters with you. Your role is simple. Obey me, kill when I say kill, jump when I say jump, and collect my souls." Nydryn clenched his jaw, his blood lust rising to dangerous levels. He wanted to kill now, he wanted to taste the blood of a God, feel his essence sliding down his throat. Hades wrapped his long fingers around Nydryn's jaw forcing their eyes to meet. Hades' features softened, his eyes once more a vivid violet color. "However, since you are my most loyal and favored servant," Nydryn sneered at the word. "I will tell you that I cannot touch the girl, I cannot bring her into the Underworld before her time, or all will be lost. But I also cannot have her killed, I cannot have her taken. You are the only one I trust to this task, and you are to continue to watch over her, and then deliver her to me, at our agreed upon time." Silence filled the room, as the two men froze. Through the tension drifted the sound of the showers running water, and above that, the gentle lilting voice singing a soft slow ballad. Cora. Her voice was small, and a bit off, but somehow it made the sound so much sweeter. Nydryn glanced up at Hades, whose eyes were closed, his features so soft they might have melted off his face. The Bastard. Nydryn blocked the sound from his mind.

         "What's the use?" Hades asked, once more looking at him. "I know how you feel, you cannot control yourself around her, but you will." The menace in his voice was unmistakable. " She does not belong to you Nydryn, you are not worthy of her." He released Nydryn, and allowed him to stand shakily to his feet. "Remember your place, take care of my Cora." Nydryn braced himself as a blinding white light filled the room, and Hades vanished from sight. He was left there, battered and bruised, listening to the soft sound of Cora's singing. He made his way to the wall, the only thing shielding him from that which he'd come to hunger for even more than blood, even more than a real life. He wanted Cora. He wanted her with a fury that was greater than that of any of the Gods. He placed a rough hand on the intricately patterned wall, and closed his eyes, aware that she was in the tall glass shower in the corner. The one he'd used while she'd slept. His cock jerked to life at the thought, Cora naked, in that very same place he'd been naked. He tried to imagine her there, the water, her body. By the sound of her voice he knew she was smiling. Her lips would be curled at the ends so slightly, that dimple playing in and out of her satin smooth cheek.

         Nydryn stepped back and stared at the wall, with a flick of his wrist it was as if the separation had never been there. He saw clearly into the room, into the shower where Cora stood, her back to him. Nydryn inhaled sharply, his slacks suddenly too tight. She was beautiful. Her head slightly inclined, allowing the stream of water to caress the swan like length of her neck. She'd stopped singing and now massaged soap over her body, with those long graceful hands. Nydryn watched the suds make a track over her back, and against his will, his eyes followed them down the curve of her spine, where they slipped in between the cheeks of her heart shaped ass. He growled deep in his throat, imagining rubbing himself against her, bending her over, his fingers digging deep into the flesh of her flaring hips, as he buried his cock inside her quivering flesh over and over, he knew he could give her pleasure unlike anything she'd ever known, knew her moans would fill the bathroom, echo off the marble walls…. Nydryn closed his eyes steadying his breathing. He was being reckless with this human, but it was as if he had no choice but to watch the bathing female. She turned then, and Nydryn felt his heart skip beats.

         The woman was made for pleasure, and she didn’t even know it. Her eyes were half closed, her face a mask of pure happiness as she tipped her head back letting the water massage her scalp. Her hands moved over her neck, down to her small breasts. Her nipples were hard, dusky light brown peaks, and Nydryn felt his fangs begin to throb in his mouth as he watched her hands making a path over her lithe body, down her taunt stomach, between her thighs. She was touching herself, her brows knitting themselves together, her lips parting softly and a small moan escaping. Nydryn was hot, ready to come at any second as he watched her long fingers dance over the thin stripe of brown hair guarding her sex. Tantalizing. They lingered, before slipping between her slick folds. A slim finger vanished inside her core.


         Enough. The word stumbled through his mind. Pull back now. His heart stilled as he stepped back until he was staring at nothing but the patterned wallpaper, his body raging, crying out for release. Beyond the partition of the wall he heard the shower cutting off, the soft splash of water on marble as Cora exited, the scrape of the towel as she pulled it from the rack. His senses were on overload his skin giving off a hellish amount of heat. Nydryn pleaded with his body to calm down. At this rate he'd kill the girl as soon as she was out of the bathroom…the door opened slowly, and her shadow fell across the pale carpet.


         Cora hesitated at the doorway. Something wasn't right, the room was utterly silent, but she knew Nydryn was there. Could hear his breath rasping just out of sight. Her heart raced, her throat drying out painfully. Cora held the towel closer to her body and willed her feet forward. She stepped into the room, greeted by a comforting warmth. Cora turned and found him watching her, his pale eyes burning that bright vivid blue, his chest, and shoulders rising and falling as he dragged air into his body. Panic seized her. The man was purely animal, every bit the dark, deadly assassin she knew him to be. This was the man who killed without conscience the man whom Hades’ called his soldier. Man? She wasn’t sure what he was, but she was certain of the heavy heat pooling between her thighs at the sight of him. She was not afraid. She knew what he was and she still wanted him, had wanted him since that night in the alley, but her feet were planted, rooted deep in the carpet. She waited, watching his pale blue eyes swallow up the sight of her.

         "Nydyrn," She rushed forward, and reached for him "What's wrong what's happened?" She hand looked so small resting on his massive, bulging bicep. She forced herself to meet his gaze. Nydryan's gaze seared her, held her there, and Cora leaned forward, stepping closer still, aware now that the heat in the room was radiating from his skin. She noticed the white of his fangs visible, his teeth clenched so tightly, his jaw ticked, but Cora forced herself to stand her ground, hoping he didn’t notice the shaking in her legs. Her free hand clutched her towel so tightly she was sure her knuckles burned white.

         "Leave me," The words escaped his mouth as a barely audible hiss, Nydryn fought to control his body, when all he wanted to do was rip the flimsy towel from her body, slam her against the wall and devour her until they were both so sated neither of them could walk. He allowed himself to meet her gaze, her deep chocolate eyes staring up at him so carefully, full of concern, and something else. Fear. She was afraid, and as well she should be, because what was rising in him was beyond her understanding. Until he'd met her he'd had complete control over his power, and now, they seemed to work as if separate from his body. The beast stirred now, hungry again. How long had it been since he'd gained control? Months? Years? No Centuries, and now they were like new, struggling to control him. He concentrated on the battle raging inside his body, and his skin began to shimmer, the fire smoldering beneath the surface.

         Remember your place, you are not worthy of her.Hades was right, and as the words came back to him he saw the truth. Cora stood before him innocent, ignorant of the war inside him, her large brown eyes wide and trusting, her concern for him genuine. He was ready to kill, to take from her to have her until there was nothing left to give. Nydryn steadied his breathing, but still he could feel he wasn't in full control.

         "Cora get back," His skin rippled, he felt the surge of power rip through his body, and the small gasp that left Cora's mouth was like a blood curdling scream to his steadily heightening senses.

         "Nydryn, what," She stepped back her hand pressed to her mouth, her eyes wide, her skin blanched. Terror etched into every perfect feature.

         Cora couldn't believe what she was seeing, she'd known what he was, had known where he was from but this… she watched as he fought with himself for control and failed. The sound of tearing fabric rent the air moments before she'd backed away, watching as two huge wings appeared from Nydryn's back, one expanding into the room glittering black and gold in the pale light of the room, the other scrapped gently against the wall, the scales rubbing together creating a disturbing click, like hundreds of beetles. The wings flexed, beautiful, yet sinister.

         "Oh my god," She whispered her hands fluttering up to her mouth, her towel unraveling and falling to the ground. Cora gasped wrapping her arms around her nudity and crouching low on the ground, looking up at the beast that appeared into front of her. Nydryn wasn't there this was something more. Some thing, wearing his face and body, its eyes glowing so intensely blue like the hottest flame. The silver and gold scales adorning its black wings caught the light and glittered as they moved restless in the too tight space.

          Soulreaper.

         Then it moved forward, the wings finally folding down to rest at it's back. A thin smile curled those beautiful lips and Cora grasped the towel rewrapping it as she scrambled backward until she collided with the night table.

         "God, has nothing to do with me ," The voice boomed reverberating off the walls, Cora caught sight of a mouth full of glaring white fangs, and a serpentine black tongue hiding beyond. Nydryn had finally lost the battle, and this was what he'd been hiding all the time. Cora closed her eyes tight, feeling her body quivering violently, she forced herself to stand to her feet and face the thing. It was at least a foot taller than Nydryn had been, it's muscles bigger, bulging and straining against all of Nydryn's beautiful skin. It continued to move forward, it's long tongue flickering in the warm hair of the room, Cora gasped noticing the little blue and orange flames that erupted from it's skin every now and then. This thing was hell incarnate, and it had been living within Nydryn all his life. "I was born of flames Cora, they burn inside me." He'd once told her that, and now she understood.

         This was Night. This was the thing that pushed him over the edge so many times. Cora held her hands in front of her in a pathetic attempt to stop its approach. If it could reside within Nydryn, then surely her Nydryn was in this body somewhere. Eyes like the blackest ink studied her.


         "Nydryn, please." She failed at keeping the terror out of her voice, she was ready to piss herself, and to pretend otherwise was just ridiculous. How many people came face to face with something like this? Cora braced herself against the wall as the Beast closed in. ebony claws ripping through Nydryn’s perfectly manicured nails.

         "You can call me Night princess, Nydryn isn't here." Cora cried out a long powerful fingers closed around her throat, and pinned her to the wall. He's there, he's there you just have to reach him Cora damn it. She let the thought turn over and over in her head but she could no longer move. The black serpentine tongue flicked out, lapping softly at her neck as she cringed away as best she could. What had set this off, how had he lost control? One minute he'd seemed like he was going to be fine, and the next, wings, fangs, fire, and a whole lot of evil. Cora jerked, wrapping her small hands around the demons thick forearm, she screamed deep in her throat pulling away when flames erupted, burning her hands. Tears welled up in her eyes, and she forced herself to meet the blue black gaze of pure evil. She could barely breathe, could feel her windpipe compressing beneath the power of the monsters hand.

         She stopped fighting, tears now running freely as he moved close nuzzling her throat before sinking his teeth deep. The monster released her, wrapping massive powerful arms around her waist pulling her close to its flaming body. Cora's eyes flew wide as pain assailed her. Her vision swam, and she felt her body heating impossibly. Her hands gripped the powerful shoulders of the monster as it fed from her, drawing her life out from the vein he'd pierced. He drank, drawing so deep she could feel the pull on her body, her heart stuttering struggling to keep up a rhythm. Cora felt his incredible heat on her delicate flesh. It didn't matter, She needed something to hold on to before she… Cora couldn't think as her vision became clouded, and finally she felt Night's hold on her ease up, the silvery gold wings expanded flapping harmlessly before curling in on themselves and vanishing.

         "Nydryn," His name fells from her lips on a whisper, as her legs gave out and she sank to the floor. When she looked up she met his pale gray eyes, rimmed in that startling blue. There was concern there, and confusion.

         Nydryn roared against the pain assailing him, a pain he hadn't felt in so long he'd forgotten what it was like. Heat slammed his body, and he was aware of the Reaper, the hunger even after he'd fed, and Cora was there. Nydryn shuddered, struggling to feel like himself again, to come back to reality. Something was wrong. "Cora? Fuck." Nydryn scooped her up in his arms and lay her on the bed, she was still conscious, her brown eyes dull and staring, unblinking. Her skin pallid and moist with sweat. "I'm sorry," He whispered, as he pressed his hands over her throat where blood still welled up slowly from the deep punctures there. Six of them, four above two below. Night. Nydryn subconsciously ran his tongue over his teeth. Four, the razor sharp teeth were as they'd always been.

         He had lost the fight. He'd hurt Cora, and he barely even remembered doing it. He pressed his hand against her pale forehead. He couldn't heal her, he couldn't undo what Night did, which was one of the many reasons he fought to keep the monster tightly leashed. He had no control over it, all Night knew how to do was destroy. Nydryn growled deep in his throat as rage built a new.

         "Hades!" He took Cora into his arms once more rising from the bed, within the confines of his chest his heart raced, his blood rushing so hard he could hear it echoing in his ears, And on his tongue, that sweet, heady taste of Cora lingered, forcing his incisors to lengthen once more. What had happened to his long fought for control? Nydryn's eyes moved rapidly around the room, there was no sign of Hades, he'd abandoned him. Again.

         In his arms Cora's body relaxed, her face becoming a deceptively peaceful mask as she fell into sleep, she was in pain, and he knew it. Nydryn settled on the edge of the bed cradling her in his lap, his gaze was intense sliding over her body. She was hurt, and badly. The soft skin of her hands were blistered and burned, flesh exposed in some places. Guilt assailed him. This was his fault, if he hadn't provoked the demon, tested his limits, this would never have happened.




© Copyright 2009 Mistress Mayhem (vampyfae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1603142-Born-of-Fire