*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604368-extending-kindnessto-friends
Rated: E · Article · Friendship · #1604368
Common courtesy between friends.
One day, while riding around in my car in the city they call Rochester, New York, I began to think about a good friend I had known for approximately 10 years whose birthday was coming up, and I was trying to figure out a way to help celebrate it with him. It was nothing I had planned for a considerable amount of time. In fact, it was really a spur-of-the-moment type of thing. Moreover, I hadn't told him anything about it; it was going to be a surprise. I briefly began to question it during my decision-making process, thinking that he probably would have already eaten, and at first having an overall awkward feeling about the situation. But I eventually decided to go through with it, thinking that it can only put a smile on his face and make his day that much brighter. Besides, who would be upset with someone buying them lunch as a way to celebrate their birthday?
In any event, I pulled up into his place of business, a place in which he happens to own and in which I frequent. As I walked through the door, I greeted everyone respectfully as I made my way towards him. As we greeted and embraced each other in a brotherly fashion, I asked him if his birthday was coming soon, just to break the ice. He said it was. I then proceeded to offer him lunch on me at his favorite place as a way to celebrate. A look of blissful joy came across his face as he joyfully accepted my offer, and we then headed out to his favorite place to eat lunch.
At the place, we didn't have to wait long to place our order. In fact, we didn't have to wait at all. The cashier was friendly and courteous (something I myself would greatly appreciate). We ordered two fish frys altogether (one apiece),and we sat and waited for our order. We originally were going to eat it there, but we decided to take it back to the shop and eat it there. That way we can enjoy it and really fellowship when we were done.
While waiting we talked and caught up with the events of each other's lives, and generally talked about life in general. Since him and I attend the same church together (in which he one of the assistant Pastors), we also talked about that as well. Before long, the food was ready, and we were out the door heading back to his place of business.
At the place of business we ate our fish frys, though neither one of us really finished ours, although we were both hungry and the portions were very generous. But the overall look of blissful appreciation permeated his face throughout our time together, and he certainly wasn't shy about letting it be known. I received such a general feeling of great warmth, blissful calm, and pleasant feeling from all this, and graciously returned the same positive feelings. For me, it was a day well spent, and for my friend, a very welcome uplifting surprise.
The rest of the day was rather uneventful, as I would head back to my place to check my email before resting. As for that surprise, our friendship was already firmly in place, and such event was just icing on the cake. It just goes to prove that, with all the negativity and hostility in life that can make the average individual cynical and extremely watchful of others, there is always a glimmer of hope that keeps them striving to live and get along graciously with others. With prayer, a belief in God, and a desire to see self and humanity develop into a better society, one simple act of kindness can go a long, long way, to the giver as well as the receiver. As Galatians 6:7 in the Holy Bible quotes," Be not deceived;God is not mocked, for whatsoever one soweth, that shall he also reap. Do not be weary in well doing; for we will reap good things, if we faint not." Lastly, in Greek mythology, when the Pandora's box was opened, all the evils were allowed into the world, leaving only hope. Hope has inspired mankind since the beginning of time, and will continue to do so in the future.
© Copyright 2009 Jeilon1 (jeonja72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604368-extending-kindnessto-friends