*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606653-Driving-in-Seasonal-Conditions
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1606653
How do you drive safely in winter and summer conditions?
Driving in a summer rain shower vs. driving in a winter storm requires a different, yet similar approach. It is very important that the driver knows how to drive in these seasonal conditions. Un-fortunately this is not taught in drivers ed, so the individual is left to learn it themselves. It would be enough to just avoid driving in these conditions, but with today’s dependence on transportation that is virtually impossible. Because of this many learn the hard way and sometimes pay an awful price. I am writing this essay to explain how to drive in these seasonal conditions so accidents can be avoided.

Driving safely in a summer rain shower requires that you drive with a little extra caution. Be- fore you begin driving, it’s best to check the news for traffic updates to avoid any areas of traffic congestion. After that start your vehicle and turn on your windshield wipers and headlights for greater visibility and safer driving. Now at your discretion, accelerate to a safe cruise speed, but do not restrict the flow of traffic. Slowing down is important, because if you drive too fast over an area of standing water, you could hydroplane and possibly lose control of your vehicle. It’s also important to take all curves at the recommended speed limit, because there is less traction on wet roads. Always signal your intentions early to give the driver behind you plenty of time to respond. Likewise, it is important to allow yourself a distance of about two car lengths behind the vehicle in front of you for every ten m.p.h. Also allow yourself a bit more distance to come to a complete stop.

Driving safely in a winter storm requires that you drive with extreme caution. Before you begin driving, it’s best to check the news for traffic updates to avoid any areas of traffic congestion caused by snow and freezing rain. After that, start your vehicle and run the defroster while you use your scraper to remove any snow and ice from the windows. Next, turn on your windshield wipers and headlights for greater visibility and safer driving. Now gradually accelerate to a slow cruise speed to avoid loosing control. It is crucial to slow way down, because snow and ice cov-ered roads are much slipperier than wet roads. It is also crucial to take all curves at or below the recommended speed limit. Always signal your intentions way in advance to give the driver behind you ample time to respond to your changes. Likewise, it is imperative to allow yourself at your current speed a distance of about eight to ten seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. Also allow yourself double the normal stopping distance.

I‘ll conclude with three tips you should follow when driving in either of these seasonal con-ditions. First, know your route; choose the most efficient route to your destination. Second, take it slow and easy; drive slowly to avoid loosing control of your vehicle. Last of all, always prepare for the unexpected; be aware of what you and other drivers are doing at all times. If you keep these safety tips in mind, you will be a safer driver when driving in a summer rain shower or a winter storm.
© Copyright 2009 FreeBird (snowtiger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606653-Driving-in-Seasonal-Conditions