*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606749-In-the-shadows-I-stood
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kenev
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Philosophy · #1606749
A piece that I wrote while I was pondering the pretense that marks our society now.
A piece that I wrote while I was pondering the pretense that marks our society now. |
Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thank you for reading. |
_________________________________________________100909____Kenev_____|
I stood in the shadows, looking at the throng of people. I nearly suffocated, for the smell of hypocrisy in the air was choking, for the sight of pretentiousness that flowed abounded among their interactions was appalling. I was compelled to ponder wether insincerity and pretense were indispensable to one's engagement in the society. According to the mindset of most of us there are several rules that we got to play with in the society. Among them, pretense will eminently rank in the first place, for we now live in an era where hypocrisies are as crucial as oxygen in the atmosphere for our survival. Candid friendships and genuine relationships are now secluded by those filled with insincerity. When one leads such a life, one is merely acting to cope with those around oneself. One will soon be baffled by the purpose of existence and the feeling of hollowness will ensue.

With darkness as my companion, I was forced to despise the way people interacted in the society. The slightest perception of my wearing a mask and mingling with the insincere actors made me shudder. I couldn't help wondering how could they put their masks on all day long, for not only the dearth of air but also the mentality required for the acting would deprive me of my soul. While I sauntered among the crowd, beholding their laughing without smiling, watching their crying without tears, listening to their speaking without thinking, I couldn't help wondering how could they put their masks on all day long, for not only the dearth of air but also the mentality required for the acting would deprive me of my soul.
© Copyright 2009 Kenev (kenev at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606749-In-the-shadows-I-stood