*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607019-Red-Moon-Book-1-Chapter-1
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1607019
Bithot and Ekurb are selectors who are employed to rescue humans from certain death.


CHAPTER 1


Bithot was eager to select and remove his first pair of humans from the planet Earth. He had been trained as a selector and his tutors were now happy to allow him to start the prestigious career. He had been allocated the planet Earth after it became available following the death of the four hundred year old previous selector.

         Bithot is from the planet Aivern.  The inhabitants there are advanced two thousand years or so ahead of the human race on Earth.  He had worked for the science department before his transfer to the selectors. In his time there, he had worked on many projects including the development of the system to beam-up subjects straight into the spacecraft.

         “Congratulations are in order,” his superior, Jarlut, said. “You have shown great promise in your selector skills. And your handling of the craft is first class.  Also, it is recognised that your engineering prior to your applying for selector training was paramount in the development of the long-range forward beam which destroys any meteorites and other solids in the path of the craft.

         “Thank you, sir, for your kind words.”

         “So, Bithot, have you chosen your crewmate?”

         “Yes.  Ekurb has accompanied me on some of my training tasks.  He has shown great promise and may himself become a selector in the future.

         “I know of Ekurb and I agree he would be a good skilled helper to you.  As to the future though, I think Ekurb is too infatuated with the pleasure elements on our planet to become a successful selector himself.

         “I will do what I can to, shall I say, re-educate him.”

         “As you wish, Bithot.  Now go and tell Ekurb and prepare yourselves for your new occupation.  You need to depart as soon as possible.”

         Bithot left the office and set off to tell Ekurb of the success of their partnership. Ekurb was not in his accommodation but Bithot knew where to try next.  He located him at the relaxation annex to pleasure 44 centre with his partner in pleasure, Arnia.

         “Come on, Ekurb, we have to prepare for our first selections on the planet Earth.”

         “So, we have been accepted, but I knew we would.  This will be our first adventure of many I am sure.”

         “Congratulations,” Arnia  said.  “I look forward to news of your first success.  But, Bithot, why are you avoiding Axonia when she cares so much for you?”

         “I am not avoiding her, but I have been very busy.  As selector I have a lot more to do than my assistant, is that not right Ekurb?”

         “Thankfully, yes, it is right,” Ekurb replied.

         “Say your goodbyes, Ekurb, we have to prepare to depart.”

         Like all of his species, Bithot was hairless, slender, and had long gangly limbs.  The material of his clothing, though cloth-like, is made from tough plastic.  He walked barefoot; his toes were extra long, like fingers and were capable of the same functions, making control of their craft difficult for beings not of his planet.  Limited psychic power was a skill that was natural to his kind, but Bithot developed the skill to the maximum. Although he found it difficult to read the current thoughts, he could delve into the brains of humans to learn some memories of their past life.  He was able to locate individuals from a great distance.  His greatest power, however, was to pair up brain pulses to ensure that the humans he selected were compatible.  These honed skills were to make him one of the planet's most successful selectors. He would always choose well and would become the only selector not to have any of his selections returned under option twelve. 

         The life forms he selected were to always be in great danger, and he would have to save them from death at the last moment. Therefore, they saw their selections as rescues and not abductions.

         Bithot set off in the bullet-shaped craft heading for the planet Earth.  His task was to lift a human female and male couple to take back to their planet. He was pleased to be paired up with his lifelong friend Ekurb and this was the third visit to the planet.  The other two visits were for practice and assessment to see how they coped with their allotted tasks on their own and how well Bithot could use his skills.

         They neared Earth and Ekurb stood and stretched after the long journey.  “Where do you think we should head for?” he asked.

         “I feel we should head for the place they call America.  There seemed to be a lot going on there when we came on our last assessment.  We might have a quick result.”

         “The quicker the better,” Ekurb said.  “I am missing my partner Arnia already.  She is in the birth breeder complex as we speak.”

         “You fall too easy, Ekurb.  Are you sure she is right for you?”

         “A bit late now.  Anyway, her friend Athenia wants to spend time with you.  Do you want me to introduce you?”

         “I think not, Ekurb. Axonia is enough for me.”

         “Is that the Axonia that you never want to spend time with?”

         “Anyway, thoughts of partners should not be occupying your mind and we need to be concentrating on our first important task.  We are near our destination.”

         “Oh, well.  Let us do it then.”

         "I am drawn to that desert," Bithot said. "There is a female about to perish in the heat.  She will do.”

         “This is the first time we have used the transfer system on a live subject,” Ekurb said.  “Let us hope that it will go to plan.”

         “Of course it will,” Bithot replied.  “What could possibly go wrong?”

*****


         Martha was not a bad person but she was often foolish during her short life. Her latest mistake could have cost her that life.

         She trusted the man who seduced her and promised to stand by her when she became pregnant.  Although responsible for her pregnancy he left town at the first sound of the baby crying.  Knowing she would have trouble bringing up the child on her own, she decided to go to see her parents at a mission they set up in California, hoping to receive their help and forgiveness for going off on her own way at such a young age.  She genuinely loved her child, but he was too vulnerable to take on the journey across the desert and her friends agreed to look after him until she could return for him when he was a little older.

         She had set off into the desert with a horse and wagon. On the first day, she hit a rock causing the larger barrel of water to fall off the wagon and smash apart on the ground.  The horse soon consumed the water from the remaining smaller barrel and the doomed creature eventually collapsed from thirst and exhaustion.  She continued the journey on foot, but didn't last long in the sweltering heat and was soon lying on the stony ground with buzzards gathering above her.  One of the birds dropped down and landed nearby.  The bird kept easing towards her, looking at her like a diner studying a menu.  Every time she moved, the scavenger hobbled and hopped a few feet away.

         Martha felt weak, she could hardly move and was praying someone would come to her aid.  She drifted towards unconsciousness and a high-pitched whining filled her head as the hungry buzzard moved in. Then she was gone leaving the buzzards confused.

         Martha was instantly transferred onto the craft.  She was lying in a clear tube in an unconscious state. "She has a very nice look about her, now that she has been cleansed," Bithot said.

         Ekurb looked over. "A strange-looking creature, though."

         "You will soon get used to them.  Let us get her a mate."

         In seconds they were over a large coastal town.  "There," Ekurb said.  "The human has been stabbed and robbed.  He is dying."

         Bithot checked the man.  "No good, the pulses are not compatible."

         "So you leave him to die?"

         "There is nothing we can do for him, Ekurb.  It is not for us to interfere if it does not suit our cause."

         They moved to a forest where a rambler had been attacked by a wild cat.  He was bleeding heavily and had passed out as the wild cat moved in for the kill. "He is perfect," Bithot said and the man was transferred to the craft.

         Ekurb just glanced at the man lying in the second tube.  "Good, now let us get back.  I need to check on Arnia.  You can get to know another friend of Arnia, the lovely Athenia, if you wish to choose to be with her instead of Axonia."

         “I choose not to Ekurb.  Unlike you, my work will not finish until our humans have been settled.”

         Ekurb looked back at the tubes while the gas was flowing around the bodies.  “The male seems to be healing well, but the female does not look too good.  What if she dies?”

         “She must not die.  If she does that will be the end of our very short career as selectors.”



 Red Moon. Chapter 2.  (18+)
Bithot is unhappy with his superior.
#2293897 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2009 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607019-Red-Moon-Book-1-Chapter-1