*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608166-Internships
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1608166
45 min. essay, "Are internships better than classroom instruction for teaching students."
Many college students supplement or follow their studies with an internship. There is some debate over whether an internship in the area of study, or extra in-class time is more beneficial. I believe that in most cases, internships are more beneficial to students than classroom instruction because they provide both a realistic perception of the workplace, and essential work experience.



All the classroom instruction in the world couldn’t tell the college student exactly what their job will be like. Many college graduates go into a field totally un-related to their degree. Internships throw the student into the real work environment, where they are much more able to decide if they are actually interested in pursuing a long-term job in that field.



Probably the most important thing that internships do is provide work experience. Employers are much more likely to hire someone who has had even a brief internship. Being familiar with the process, schedule, job description, and expectations will make the student more comfortable and confident in their new job. While job searching, the student may also be able to get help from the place of their internship.



However, to have a successful internship and, eventually, career, a student must have a very good academic core. For example, no amount of internships at a newspaper will make someone a good journalist. The writing and investigative skills must be acquired first, then the student will benefit from an internship.



Once a set of skills is learned is learned, a student will always benefit more from an internship than classroom instruction because it accurately shows the workplace, helping to finalize their career choice, and gives them work experience, making them attractive to employers and giving them confidence.

© Copyright 2009 Jewelser (ponygirl93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608166-Internships