*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/160870-The-Promising-Dinner
by gailey
Rated: ASR · Other · Emotional · #160870
They met for dinner on a Friday evening.
THE PROMISING DINNER

They met for dinner on a Friday evening. He was pleased with how beautiful she was. She was intrigued with how distinguished he appeared. He held her chair, she held her breath as she sat, then watched him pull his chair closer.

His eyes glanced at her. Her eyes darted away. They surveyed the room, neither wanting to seem too forward, too imposing, too eager. The waiter brought and left menus on the table, leaving also a brief escape for each to gather their thoughts and composure.

He discovered she'd never been to this restaurant before. She was told he'd heard about it from work. Both agreed not to discuss anything serious this evening, and that, yes, the world was in bad shape. Music filtered through from the background. The waiter reappeared, and they ordered and awaited their meal.

The music was soothing. He asked about her job. She complained about her boss. Both agreed that bosses could be jerks. She asked about his interests. He recited a long list. She decided he was indeed interesting. He marveled that she really listened.

The candles were flickering. The conversation was engrossing. The evening, both decided, was enchanting. He said something funny. She laughed without reserve. She caught him completely off guard. He lost his train of thought but quickly regained it, and asked if she wanted to dance.

By the time desserts arrived, he had confessed a few weaknesses, she had discussed life-long dreams, and both revealed they were looking for someone. The music played on, the candles still flickered and she became lost in his gaze.

When the bill was finally paid and they walked out of the restaurant, he put his arm around her waist. She stroked his shoulder. He pulled her closer. They both agreed to go to his place.

Conversation in the car was almost non-stop as they both had so much to say. But one thing was agreed upon, no matter how the coming year went...their next anniversary would be spent like today...acting like strangers, getting reacquainted, and falling in love all over again.


© Copyright 2001 gailey (sensity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/160870-The-Promising-Dinner