*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608921-The-Dogfight
Rated: ASR · Draft · Sports · #1608921
A veteran racer accepts another challenge.
I could feel the roar of your engine, even from within my own car. You probably think it impresses me as you prove how big your engine is, or how much speed you could get with it. To me, it meant nothing. Even if you drove a formula one car, I still wouldn’t be fazed by the shear power. As far as I was concerned, you were nothing more than another obstacle in the way of the goal.



As the light changed, the roar of both engines was the difference between the cries of a raging bull and the proud roar of a lion, while both fearful, the lion more impressive. Any novice watching us could see you have an advantage, as you raced ahead, thinking you can put enough safe distance between us before we reached the true challenge of the course. You reached the first corner well ahead of me, and rushed right through it. I only caught a glimpse of your car’s profile before it rushed into the cover of the foliage.



As I rushed into the first corner, I could feel the usual forces that try to keep me from my goal. As I try to turn to it, my rear tires started to slide and twist the car towards the inside. Most drivers would be afraid of the thought that there were nothing but trees and brush in front of them while driving at this speed, but I calmly turned my front wheels in the direction I wanted to go, keeping me from spinning out as I slid towards the curve’s exit. The moment the corner’s exit came into view, I pressed the gas further, making the car blast out of the corner while it was still skidding towards the opposite end of the road. That burst of forward speed was enough to stop the skid within inches of the end of the road, where I could have crashed into the fence around someone’s property. I never gave it much of a thought as I blasted towards the next corner, not surprised to see you were already tackling it. Those challenges weren’t new. The only thing new to this run was you, my opponent.



I simply let my body handle the corners, not giving much thought to them until the real challenge started. Each corner I cleared, you were closer and closer as I rushed out of them. Whether you were struggling with the power of your own car or simply waiting on me, I would make you regret letting me catch up, as I refused to back down from the dogfight that was about to ensue.



When I cleared the next corner, I saw your taillights only a foot in front of me, and grinned as you suddenly rushed forward, as if you just realized I had caught up. However, that rush was in vain before the hairpin corner came up. As we entered the corner, I noticed that you kept getting closer up until the moment you would begin your acceleration. While you may have solved the problem of keeping your monster’s power in check, you ended up getting rid of its fangs. You would gain a little on the exit, but it wouldn’t be much as my vehicle dashed forward, chasing its prey.



All beasts have their limits, and it seems yours was approaching fast. Your tires started to lose their grip, leaving you unable to cope with the course ahead. You wore your steed out too fast and it was time for you to pay for it with your pride. You tried to make the next apex, but physics, the one thing constantly keeping us from achieving our goal, finally got its grip on you, leaving me an opening for me to rush through. Your tires slipped as you try to blast forward, now too late for you to keep up with me. I could already see the goal in front of me, as I shatter what’s left of your pride.



© Copyright 2009 Izumi Ryu (cgalbreath at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608921-The-Dogfight