*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1609072-Lost
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1609072
In a cave very dark, who knows who you'll bump into.
What are the odds, they both thought, independently, at the same exact time.

The first man decided to speak.

“This is not easy,” he said.

“No.”

“I mean, it really is quite beyond the realm of believability.”

“Yeah.”

“I just heard about this cave last night. Can you believe that?”

“Yeah.”

“You don't say much do you, Harry?”

“No, John, I don't.”

“Great...”

“Okay, it isn't easy and it's cold, and I'm thirsty and lost, and not only lost, but lost with you. You stole my wife you piece of crap. Better?”

“Much.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Let's just find our way out, okay?”

“Okay, Daniel Boone. Lead the way.”

The second man took the lead.

“It's really dark in here,” the new leader said after a minute.

“Yes.”

“I can't see a thing!”

“No.”

“Great,” the man that lost his wife said.

The realization began to grow for both men at the same time; the smell of the cave was getting heavier and more dense, and perhaps less oxygenated.

“It sure would be funny to die in here, the two of us,” said the man who stole the other man's wife.

“Oh boy... God has a sense of humor.”

After a while, and despite the fact that they each began to think it was actually possible to die in this cave together, they both began to laugh, just a little at first, and then harder, and harder, until they hung onto each other in the total darkness in something very close to a hug with tears coming down in streams from their eyes and their laughter echoing forever at the thought of how truly funny God could be.

277 words
© Copyright 2009 Winchester Jones (ty.gregory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1609072-Lost