*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610103-Proposal-In-A-Jar
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1610103
Nick proposes to Heather in a unique way. Originally for Daily Flash Fiction.
Nick leaned out the window and watched the mail truck stop at each of the mailboxes that led to his. According to the e-mail he’d received, Heather’s birthday gifts should have arrived two days ago. Granted, these gifts could be given another time, but this was a special day.

He thought back on the conversation they’d had several months ago with his friends. It had only been a teasing one, talking about marriage proposals and what would be the most original. And her idea had certainly been original.

The mail truck stopped at his box. Nick’s pulse raced as he saw a package pass through the carrier’s hands and into his box. Was that it? The back bumper of the truck had barely passed his mailbox before Nick was out the door and trying not to sprint down the yard. He still reached the box in less than five seconds and yanked open the handle. It was here!

Now for a decorative container. And the ring.

~~

Heather wanted to save some of the wrapping paper for scrapbooking the pictures that had been taken today. Her mp3 player and new stereo system, gifts from her friend Alex, were hooked up and in use, her favorite songs filling the room.

She reached for Nick’s gift, last by his request. From under the red tissue paper she pulled a blue glass jar of M&Ms out of the bag.

“Thank you,” Heather said with a laugh. “I was needing to restock my chocolate horde.” As she popped the lid, she realized they’d been personalized. She flipped over one of the candies and paused, her mouth falling open in astonishment.

Will you marry me?

And peeking out of the jar, an engagement ring. Heart fluttering, she smiled up at her boyfriend.

“Yes, I will.”
© Copyright 2009 Duchess Laughing Lemurs (grace07 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610103-Proposal-In-A-Jar