*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610819-First-Anniversary
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1610819
An unhappy couple on their first anniversary.
Leila was cooking dinner, when her husband, Steven, walked in the door, singing a random song about who-knows-what. Leila grimaced and tried to ignore him. She had better things to do. Like cook chicken and soup for him.
"Fuck." she muttered under her breath.
Steven had stopped singing, but now he was whistling. Leila struggled to remember why she had married the idiot. Oh, that's right, he'd seemed funny. It hadn't been funny when he lost his job.
Steven opened his mouth a screeched a note.
“Aren’t you ever quiet? Can you just shut up?” Leila screeched.
Steven took a step back. Leila doubted he had even noticed she was there.
“Gees, can you shut up?” Steven shot back.
There was silence.
Leila struggled to regain her temper. Finally, Leila asked "Where have you been?" I came out in a strained, squeking voice.
"I was with the boys"
At Leila's red face, he hastily added "Happy First Anniversary.”
Leila blew up.
“Happy?” she screamed. “HAPPY? IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS? WELL, SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE, BUT THIS IS NOT HAPPY!”
Leila took a deep breath. She forced a smile. Steven was holding his eardrums and hoping they were okay.
“Dinner’s ready.” Leila said through her teeth.
Steven plopped into one of the chairs as Leila moved the soup and chicken from the stove to the table. Leila took out the forks and knives and brought them to the table.
“What about the spoons?” asked Steven, unaware that Leila was at the end of her rope.
Leila’s face turned purple. “GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!” she shrieked.
Steven got up, confused. Leila continued to yell. Steven’s face darkened. He took his coat, put on his shoes, grabbed some money from the counter, and walked out the door.
Leila stopped shouting as she heard the door slam. She sat down, dazed. Had he really gone? Forever? To her surprise, she started sobbing into her hands.
Steven had been watching through the window, startled at his own heartache. His eyes widened, and he went back inside the house. Steven kneeled by Leila. As soon as she saw him, Leila’s tears reached a climax and she threw herself into Steven’s arms.
Steven whispered sweet nothings to her while Leila wore herself out and fell asleep in Steven’s arms.
© Copyright 2009 Zoe of Angels (catclaws at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610819-First-Anniversary