*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610821-Mr-Argus-1
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Family · #1610821
Allison, a homeless girl, is sent to live with an evil man.
It was a witchy house: the low-slung roof; that quit gray paint; those squinting, shuttered windows; and the empty porch rocker that rocked, rocked, rocked day and night.
Allison stared in horror at her new home, and her social worker, Mr. McHarold, fiddling with his tie, pulled her toward the rickety front door.
It looks like it’s from a horror movie, thought Allison, twisting her finger around the backpack straps on her shoulder.
“Who would want to live here?” She asked Mr. McHarold, trying to act carelessly. She found it the best defence against people.
“The esteemed Mr. Argus doesn’t like nosy children.” Mr. McHarold said angerly, dabbing his face with his hanky. “It was kind of him to take you in."
As Allison walked up the stairs to the porch, she winced at the loose feeling beneath her feet. She was not to sure about this, no matter how cool she acted.
Ever since her parents had been jailed for a reason that Allison had never understood, she had been in Rock Hard Orphanage. When she had first come, she had been seven. Everyone had seemed to immediately assume she was a bad apple, like her parents. She had been a loner. She didn't need anyone else to ruin her life.
And then that fateful letter had arrived, five years later. Landers Argus wanted a quiet child that would be willing to leave the orphanage. That was all it said. That and the address of the monstrous house in front of them.
Mr. McHarold banged a fist on the door; bring Allison out of her musings.
She watched the doorknob turn, slowly, and the door creak open. Then Allison heard a voice whisper “Come in.” The voice sounded like wind blowing through grass.
Mr. McHarold looked terrified.
The voice continued. "Why don't you stay for tea? I belive the grasshopper tea is still all right to drink. The girl can bake some bettle pastries.
Allison didn't know if he was joking or not. If he wasn't.... Allison shuddered at the thought of making bettle pastries.
Mr. McHarold stuttered “That won’t be necessary. I'll send you the forms and you can take the girl.”
The odd voice laughed, but Mr. McHarold was already gone.
Allison took a deep breath and stepped inside, closing the door quietly behind her.
Allison glanced at the gloomy interior, then focused on the center of the room. It wasn't that the room was boring. Oh, no. The room had huge window, but heavy curtains had been put over them, giving the room an eerie darkness. All the furniture had dark velvet covers. It looked like a vampire's drawing room. Oh, no, the room was scary.
The thing in the center was even more so.
The man was old. His face was covered in wrinkles, and his hair was wispy and gray. But his eyes gleamed, and something in the way he held himself left you feeling empty.
Allison walked stiffly toward the Mr. Argus, as she guessed he was.
"Ah, that man is weak. Beatle Pastries, grasshopper tea...Does he think I'm I monster?" said Mr. Argus.
Allison looked coldly back at him.
Mr. Argus smiled at her expression. "Appariantly someone thinks I am."
Allison tried to think of a response, and was just openning her mouth when-
Allison glanced at the gloomy interior, then focused on the center of the room. It wasn't that the room was boring. Oh, no. The room had huge window, but heavy curtains had been put over them, giving the room an eerie darkness. All the furniture had dark velvet covers. It looked like a vampire's drawing room. Oh, no, the room was scary.
The thing in the center was even more so.
The man was old. His face was covered in wrinkles, and his hair was wispy and gray. But his eyes gleamed, and something in the way he held himself left you feeling empty.
Allison walked stiffly toward the Mr. Argus, as she guessed he was.
"Ah, that man is weak. Beatle Pastries, grasshopper tea...Does he think I'm I monster?" said Mr. Argus.
Allison looked coldly back at him.
Mr. Argus smiled at her expression. "Appariantly someone thinks I am."
Allison tried to think of a response, and was just opening her mouth when-
"Don't you say a word girl, unless I tell you to. Understand?" The voice said sharply.
Allison said nothing.
"UNDERSTAND?"
Allison gave a stiff nod.
"Good. Rebecca will give you a tutorial." said Mr. Argus. He left the room.

© Copyright 2009 Zoe of Angels (catclaws at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610821-Mr-Argus-1