*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1611875-Confrontation
by Jaymes
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1611875
A kidnapping and a dreadful confrontation.
         "They told me you'd be here."

         The words left Stephanie's lips like a cold breeze crackling through the trees.  She was through playing games.

         "Glad you showed up. I was getting worried."

         James, as usual, was non-chalant, treating the whole thing like a big joke.  He never took anything seriously.  Well, Stephanie would make him take her seriously this time.  She was determined to get back what was hers.  "Alright James, enough of this.  Where is she?"

         James grinned.  "Oh, you want her back, do you?  Is she so precious to you?  Well, you know what they say.  No one gets anyting for free."

         "What do you want, then?  Money?"

         "Of course.  What else?  If you want her back, you're going to have to pay up."

         Stephanie narrowed her eyes.  "How do I know she's safe?"

         That same insufferable smile met her eyes.  "You'll just have to trust me."

         "Ha!  Trust you?  I'll never make that mistake again.  How much are you asking for her?"

         "A million."

         Stephanie's eyes went wide.  "A... a million?  Are you joking!?  I don't have that kind of money!"

         "Well, you'd better get it pretty quick, or you'll never see her again."

         Stephanie bit her lip.  She had hoped it wouldn't come to this, but obviously, James wasn't prepared to see reason.  She reached into her pocket and pulled out a pistol, leveling it at the kidnapper.  Unfortunately, James was quick; as soon as he saw the motion, he pulled his own weapon from the pocket of his coat.  Now it was a standoff; both of them, weapons aimed at each other, and Stephanie saw no way out of it.

         "Jimmy!  Steph!  Lunch time!  I made PB & J!"

         Stephanie sighed, tossing her gun away.  The plastic weapon bounced off the grass before coming to a stop.  She and James walked across the backyard to where their mother was waiting with sandwiches.

         "Aw, Mom!"  James said, sounding indignant.  "We were right in the middle of a kidnapping game!"

         "Oh really?  And who was the kidnappee?"

         "One of my dolls," answered Stephanie.  "Jimmy hid her, and I'm supposed to figure out where she is."

         "Yeah, but I won't tell her unless she gives me a million bucks!"  Jimmy chimed in, sounding pleased with himself.

         "Well, that sounds like a fun game!  You two finish your lunch, and then you can go out and play some more."

         As her children dug into their sandwiches, she smiled.  "Such vivid imaginations, especially for five-year-olds."
© Copyright 2009 Jaymes (jayemjee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1611875-Confrontation