*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612947-Janners-tale-Not-the-best-start
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1612947
The first of my story series about the Warhammer 40,000 universe involving anthro animals
Year: 40995
Date: 24th March
Time: 8:52 AM
Mission: Kill heretical priest
Status: In progress...


Unit 15
Imperial Guard Regiment: 'Fist's of Redemption'
Bravo squad


“This is Bravo squad, we need air support NOW!” yelled a rather roughed-up tiger. “Bravo squad, this is Valkyrie squadron 6, we are en route to your position. ETA 10 minutes” was the response. “To hell with it. Commissar, take Janner and the new guy to a good overlook, then rain hell on those heretics.” At that moment, the Commissar was already trying to find the men and get them moving, but no-one expected what happened next.


A large explosion tore through the squad’s position, leaving a trail of fire and gore where 10 men stood. “What the hell just happened!” came a shout from the tiger. “Whatever it was, it’s still here!” Janner replied after he finally managed to get out of the crater from the explosion. He was about to get back down when he saw it, a Predator tank had burst out of the cathedral and immediately opened fire on their position. He climbed back down and tried to find his vox-link. “Sir, it’s a Chaos Predator, sitting right in front of the objective” “How in the Emperor’s name did that get here!” “Don’t know sir, but I think we should get out of here now.” “We can’t until the Valkyries get here in another 7 minutes”. At that point, Janner had an idea, “Sir, we still have the heavy weapons team, sure they’re far away, but if we can give them enough cover they can take out the blasted thing.”
“That sounds like it might just work.” Replied the tiger before busying himself with the heavy weapons teams’ position.


Ever since the age of 10, Janner has proven to be a great soldier and tactician, his only problem was that his clan, the Arctic wolfs, were taking a lot of fire from the other major clans, such as the Gray wolfs, Foxes and Tigers. This meant he didn’t have a strong enough background to get a promotion, so he was stuck as a corporal for the rest of his Emperor serving life.


“OPEN FIRE ALL WEAPONS” was all he heard before he was nearly deafened by the amount of noise the weapons were making. He thanked the Emperor for this blessing and added his own fire to the barrage. Any normal person would have taken cover straight away but these cultists didn’t seem to care whether they lived or died. All that mattered to them was to serve the Chaos gods, these cultists appeared to serve Khorne, god of death and blood. The barrage lasted a full 5 minutes before nearly all the cultists were dead and the guardsmen were low on ammo. By that time, the heavy weapons team had successfully destroyed the Predator and with it, the heretical priest who they had been sent to kill.
”Not the best start of the day, right lemin?” was the last sentence Janner said before the Valkyries engines drowned out every other noise.


He was aboard the Valkyrie within 3 minutes, eager to get home to his wife and, more importantly, his bed.
© Copyright 2009 Tony wulf (tonywulf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612947-Janners-tale-Not-the-best-start