*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613788-The-Dog-It-Was-
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by msniw
Rated: 18+ · Review · Mystery · #1613788
A review of a mystery thriller, "The Lodge - A Tale of Corruption"
“But soon a wonder came to light,

That showed the rogues they lied:

The man recovered of the bite,

The dog it was that died.”



Oliver Goldsmith, An Elegy on the Death of a Mad Dog



If I use a phrase like ‘fraternal lodge’ or ‘freemasonry’,  many readers will react badly.



They will  think immediately of  weird rites; exclusive, male orientated social networking – and absolute secrecy.



It is this very concealment which gives quite ordinary organisations and their members a raffish glamour  and leads to rumours of criminality.



Sometimes the accusations ring true, so the world is still fascinated by the death of the Italian banker, Roberto Calvi, found hanging under Blackfriars Bridge, London in 1982.



Calvi, known as “God’s banker” due to his Vatican links, had also been a member of a clandestine Masonic lodge Propaganda Due (P2). He was almost certainly murdered by the Mafia but those charged were acquitted after a long court case in June 2007 due to insufficient evidence.



Now a quirky and occasionally funny look at fraternal lodges and their potentially nefarious activities comes in The Lodge – A Tale of Corruption, the latest novel from thriller writer, David H Brandin.



California-based Brandin who hails from Chicago has belonged to US fraternal orders of the type he illustrates but insists:



“I’ve never witnessed the greed, avarice, and corruption which serve as the backbone of this novel. Most of the volunteers I’ve worked with were straightforward and honest. The events in this book did not happen. Still, volunteers are human and make mistakes. Could these events happen in an order? Perhaps they could …”



That aside, Brandin uses an extensive knowledge of San Francisco and Chicago along with his  love of  deep sea diving to give us the sort of zip-along, page-turning murder mystery which  helps to make a long flight less arduous. He tells me - honour bright - that he had to research the details about the US Mafia and its association with a wide-boy builder – and I believe him where thousands may demur!





Meanwhile he intends to continue in the tradition pioneered by Red Tent author, Anita Diamant, and promote his book directly to audiences where it’s bound to be sure-fire success.  I consider The Lodge to be  an excellent – and far better written - follow-up to his first full-length thriller, The Horns of Moses, which I’m more than half-convinced helped to inspire Quentin Tarantino’s new film, Inglourious Basterds.



No matter, Brandin’s publisher, iUniverse have granted The Lodge its Rising Star Award and has made it an Editor’s Choice.



This review first appeared at Blogcritics - http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-the-lodge-a-tale/.



© Copyright 2009 msniw (n.wood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613788-The-Dog-It-Was-