*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613804-Serendipity
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Philosophy · #1613804
life is made of the small moments that we consider insignificant.
I woke up reluctantly today, unwilling to confront the loneliness that lay ahead. I have stayed alone several times before, however, i've grown so fond of my husbands company, that now, every minute seems like a million years without him. I had some yoghurt for breakfast and then walked to and fro, across the hall, for a long time, pre occupied with a lot of thoughts. I felt like i was a ghost that was haunting a mansion. Before i could succumb to boredome, i walked gingerly towards my room, wondering how to kill time. Then, i turned to the only source of entertainment that i had for the past couple of days, the television. I made myself comfortable on the bed, reached out to the remote control, and just as i was about to switch it on, to my utter dimay, there was a power cut.

"Lifes disappointments would be harder to take if it wasn't for any swear words"-Calvin. I couldn't agree more. I exclaimed most of the ones i knew and felt a lot better. I lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Two hours passed me by. This, i realised once i started perspiring. Then, i took a shower and prayed. Normally, it would take me twenty minutes to do that, but i prolonged it as much as i could, to forty five. Then i had lunch and decided to complete the book that i was reading. With just three more chapters remaining, i knew it wouldn't take up much of my time. I was saddened by that thought.

This book, The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks, was about Jane and Wilson, who were married for thirty years. Wilson regrets the fact that he couldn't be the romantic husband that Jane had always wanted and decides to make up for all his mistakes by recreating the spark, that was long lost, between them. His persistent attempts at reinventing himself are commendable. The book has a conventional, happily ever after, fairy tale ending, with a very pleasant surprise. While reading the book, i coludn't help but wonder what it would be like thirty years from now. My imagination failed me though. I just wished that it would all be worth living for so long and left it at that.

Once i was done with the book i looked up to see that the sky was now enveloped with dark clouds. I could hear the faint sound of thunder, which i knew would gradually become more noisy. Within minutes there was a heavy downpour accompanied with strong winds. As i watched while being seated near the glass door, i could see the raindrops falling on the surface of the swimming pool, each forming a circle at the top, and plunging into a cone at the bottom. Then there was a powerful blow and the raindrops transformed into small clouds, milky white, hovering over the surface, creating a whirlpool of mist in the air. This sight was absolutely breathtaking for me. I have watched the rain before, but this time it seemed quite extraordinary. I laughed with amusement, filled with an unexpected feeling of joy. Every time this cloud of mist appeared i'd clap, like a little girl watching a circus for the first time. The moment it would vanish, i would wait with new found euphoria, to experience this magical spectacle, all over again.

This continued for a long time until the rain stopped. I was so consumed by this act of nature, that i almost ignored the loud thunder, which usually scares the living hell out of me. I didn't expect to find so much happiness in such little time, especially, when all alone. This moment of solitary bliss will always be memorable to me as it taught me that happiness is just a state of mind and can be easily achieved, if carefully looked for. This, is what i guess they call serendipity.....
© Copyright 2009 zumirrah (zumirrah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613804-Serendipity