*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613857-Grief
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1613857
Taking love for granted





Grief, like cold, hard water, over took her, the day the man who loved her left,

Another moment and she felt a silent scream in her soul,

Her heart literally ached in her breast, and her breath was shallow,

What had happened? What had gone wrong? This could not be.

Amidst a rush of pain and confusion, her mind searched for answers,

No, she thought, this was a momentary thing.

He would return, surely. He would come back to her.

Wouldn’t he?

No, a voice in her head said.

You know this time, he will not. He is gone.

“Why?” she said out loud.

He has been acting differently lately. When you talk to him, he looks through you. When you are with him, he seems distant. When you two argue, he no longer shows anger, but coldness and indifference.

She wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Why has he changed?” she asked the silence.

Because when he was there for you, you walked on him. When he bared his soul to you, you hurt him. And when he caressed you with love, you struck him.

“But the man loved me,” she said, with an air of confidence, and arrogance.

“He could not stand being away from me for too long whenever I deserted him in anger,”

Ah, but the human spirits breaks, and changes, the voice said, with a hint of amusement.

Once broken, it changes in ways you cannot imagine. There was a time you were a goddess to him. It is no longer so.

“But he would beg that I be with him always, and he would cry, asking that I never leave him, “she said.

“And he would be on his knees, swearing his love for me,”

And you still punished him when he was so helpless, the voice said.

While you stand here, debating with yourself, he has gone to another woman, more worthy of his love.

Now taste the sorrow that you caused him, and feel the emptiness he felt all the years that he loved you…
© Copyright 2009 Sara Black (shaandar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613857-Grief