*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614250-Blood-Melody--Chapter-Two
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Adult · #1614250
Chapter two of my Novel Blood Melody
Chapter

         They hadn’t been in the club longer than an hour before Sage began to get antsy. She always did in public places, especially places packed full with humans, and Lycan. They filled every corner, the press of bodies an overwhelming presence beating at her senses. Everything about it was wrong, the heavy odor of sweat and sex, the persistent glimmer of strobe lights cutting through the smoky darkness, and the steady throbbing of the music. The music was the worst part, an unclassifiable mix of hip hop, rock, and pop music. It all worked together to set her on edge. Roslyn thrived, and Sage just watched, her eyes finding her friend easily. She was the one with all the men crowded around her, long slim arms up in the air, her slender body rolling with the rhythms of the music. Sage couldn’t help the smile that spread across her face when their eyes met. Roslyn was everything she was not. The woman was all about pleasure, even her body was made for pleasure. Long raven hair fell down her back in spiraling waves, her eyes flashed vivid, unearthly silver. Her features were perfect and pert, and her body was amazing. Where were the flaws every woman was supposed to have?

         She was taller than most men, that was true. Standing at six one, she was definitely hard to miss. Most probably thought she was a model, with her long legs, flat stomach and gently flaring hips. Tonight, those hips were covered with skin tight black jeans, her perfect feet cradled by tall black stilettos, and the whisper of a shirt she wore barely concealing her ample cleavage. She gestured to Sage with a wiggle of her index finger, her blood red nails flashing in the gloom. Roslyn didn’t seem to mind the wondering hands and the lust filled gazes. That was where she lived when she was out. It was her only time to let loose.

         Sage just shook her head, her eyes carefully scanning their surroundings. She knew Roslyn hated that she never seemed to leave work behind, but just as it was Roslyn’s nature to relax out on the town, it was Sage’s to stay on her toes. Ready, and she wasn’t the only one.

         In a far corner of the club, crowded into a booth, a group of Lycan males watched her, their females perched on their laps, their eyes intent. They knew her kind, that much was certain. In her world everyone knew who they were surrounded by. Ignorance usually got a person killed, Sage saw it every night she went out with the others. The humans. They had no idea each time they hunted what they would face, and when it came down to the fight, the confrontation, it was usually Sage alone. They knew who she was, what she was, and they used it to their advantage shamelessly. Not that she minded, it was her pleasure to hunt for them. She raised a slim hand sheathed in a tight, black fingerless glove, her lips curling into a taunting smile. The male’s eyes narrowed and he leaned over to listen to something whispered in his ear. He and his brothers were sizing her up.

         She loved it. Was almost tempted to have them meet her outside.

          “You know, I know what you are doing, don't think I’m not paying attention to you.” Sage turned to Roslyn as she came to stand beside her leaning against the moist bar. A fine sheen of sweat glistened on her bared shoulders, and she breathed heavily. Roslyn slid onto a stool at her side and ordered two drinks. “You really need to loosen up, this can’t be good for your blood pressure.” She giggled into her drink, her eyes sliding over the crowd, no doubt looking for her next admirer. Sage sat, her back against the bar, sipping the drink Roslyn offered. “There’s a really cute human over there, he wants to meet you.” Roslyn tossed her dark hair over her shoulder flirtatiously. Sage followed her gaze to the human male sitting at a small round table and kept going, turning back to her friend.

         “Your taste in humans is seriously lacking Roslyn.” Sage rolled her eyes, she’d chosen a pair of black leggings, and a simple form fitting cotton tunic, in black and white stripes for their night out. Simple white circles hung from both ears, and her dark honey hair was upswept, into a messy bun. For her that was trying, her small feet were comfortable in a pair of black ballet slipper flats. Next to her friend she looked like a struggling college student, but when Sage dressed, the only thought she took into consideration was the thought of a potential attack. Roslyn had dedicated their friendship to helping her loosen up, so every now and then she allowed her to coax her out of her home.

         “What is it?” Roslyn’s voice was heavy with annoyance. Sage knew how much Roslyn hated that she didn’t seem to be capable of a good time, she was always so tightly wound, always on her guard, waiting for someone to make that false move. “Most of these clowns are human Sage, relax, it’s nothing.” She pressed her cool glass into her hand.

         “I’m sorry, I guess I’m just a little shaken from last night. I’ll be good.” She offered her friend a halfhearted grin, turning back to the bar. “So tell me what’s been up with you these days.” Sage narrowed her eyes at Roslyn’s sly grinning.

         “Well,” She drew out the word, fighting back a bigger smile. “There’s someone, but you wouldn’t agree with him, I’m sure, he’s Lycan kind.” Sage drew back from her friend, her face a stony mask.

         “I can’t believe you Roslyn.” She knew the law didn’t refute it, but her own personal law… That law told her it was wrong, forbidden.

         “Come on Sage, this doesn’t mean anything as far as our relationship goes, he is not my enemy.” Her pale grey eyes snapped in her annoyance. “This is in no way a betrayal of our friendship, but I want you to understand. Drop your warriors’ code for just a moment. I’m happy right now.” She shrugged nonchalantly. “Besides, it’s not that serious, just really great sex.”

         “I can’t believe you would let one of those dog’s touch you.” She muttered. The truth was it did upset her. Roslyn was pure, beautiful, and in her eyes fragile in spite of her immortality. She had no business being with a Lycan male. Sure, she was outgoing, and very sexual, but that didn’t mean she could handle that world. It was dark, and often times cruel. Most Lycan had no sense of family, or closeness beyond the hunt. They ran in packs, slept ate, and lived in packs. That’s where the bond ended, It was rare to find a true family atmosphere in a den.

         “He’s wild, different,” She mused. “Of course you’ll never meet him, but, I’m having the time of my life.” She shrugged nonchalantly. “He’s great for now, and speaking of sex,” Her tone was hot, heavy, her body language completely changing as she turned back to the crowd. “Look what the night drove in.” Sage turned her eyes following her friend’s gaze to the front door, where four huge Lycan males stood shouldering their way into the club, blocking the doorway. They spoke amongst themselves, and even in their relaxed state, laughing and joking with one another, they still exuded strength power, and prowess. “Now, that can’t be all bad.” Sage felt her skin bristle at the sight of the imposing males and bit back her aggression. Her eyes were drawn to the first in the group. Standing head and shoulders above the fast growing crowd, he stuck out from the rest. His eyes were stormy, framed with thick dark lashes, and so aware, ready. Power radiated from his physique, from perfectly squared muscular shoulders, draped in a tight fitting black tee, his stomach was flat, ripped, tapering to a narrow waist, his dark denim jeans hugged perfectly formed thighs, and fell over a pair of expensive looking designer boots. The body of a predator.

         In spite of herself, Sage felt her own body heat at the sight of the group as they made their way into the club. She was a warrior through and through, but that part of her did not negate her femininity. She was also a woman, and the woman in her was definitely on high alert. Sage continued to watch the group, her heart clashing wildly in her chest as she met a stormy gaze for an instant.


         “How could you go through life hating what was made so perfectly?” Roslyn’s tone was reverent, her eyes bright, as she studied the four strangers settling around a table near the door. The one with the icy eyes watched the crowd, and three sat huddled close to the table, heads tilted, engaged in conversation. One sauntered away, his gaze hungry as he vanished into the crowd, hunting no doubt. The blue eyed male leaned back in one of the oversized chairs, his legs spread, his body draped lazily, although Sage knew he was ready for anything. Her eyes were drawn to him each time she looked away. That shock of dark hair, high forehead, long straight nose, and full lips. His jaw was strong, angular and tense. Roslyn had a point, there was nothing to find fault with in his features. But it wasn’t what was on the outside that repulsed Sage, it was his blood that held the taint.

         "Let’s go Ros, I don’t like the way it’s starting to smell in here.” Every instinct she possessed was on high. The fine hair on the back of her neck stood on end, and within her mouth her fangs throbbed painfully, begging for a taste of trouble. Roslyn pouted but moved away from the bar, leading the way past the table of males and out the front door.




~~~~~~~~



         Aidan scrubbed his face with the palm of his hand, and leaned back in the chair he’d chosen. The wood groaned under his weight as he shifted. He still hadn’t been able to find what he was searching for, the answer to the images in his mind, burned there. He was sure they wouldn’t be going anywhere any time soon. The smell of smoke was still in his nose.


         Trey had been young, reckless, but he hadn’t deserved to be slain. Aidan leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees, fists clenched. Over the years, so many had been lost in his pack, so many lives wasted. They were lives that often had never had the chance to begin. As newborns, the Lycan were hungry, ravenous, and sloppy. Everything from the way they hunted, to their transformation was violent, and messy. It was in their nature to destroy, and it was the responsibility of the elders in the pack to show them the right path. In that he had failed.

         “We won’t find anything sitting here like this.” The words were forced through clencehed teeth, and Aidan turned, his eyes narrowing on Cyan who had spoken the words. The male sat apart from the group, his jaw clenched, his pale eyes flashing fire in the darkness of the club. Cyan hadn’t fed for days, the hunt for Trey’s killer consumed him, ate him alive. The normally calm, serene, put together male was beaten down. His face covered with a fine layer of stubble, his hair, like fine cotton, was white as the driven snow, and unkempt. His eyes were swollen, the lids crimson against his pale skin. Aidan watched his friend shift in his seat, like an addict craving his next fix, and felt the anger welling inside him again. How had he let things get this bad? Where had he failed?


         “Aidan, I think there’s trouble.” Aidan the sound of Sol’s voice was at his side, his eyes swept the crowd for the source of the males suspicion. “They seem to be in a pretty big rush huh?” Aidan observed the small group of males rushing out the back door of the club as he rose to his feet. Cyan, and Sol followed his lead, calling to Dorien as they tailed the group into the crisp night.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _


         Sage wasn’t impressed with the Male standing before her, his overly confident manner gave him away as young, untrained and untried. Her eyes darted back toward Roslyn, and the massive male holding her tight against his body. She didn’t struggle, but her eyes… Sage looked away. They’d ambushed them as soon as they’d stepped foot outside, and she hadn’t even known they were there. She swore under her breath, her eyes going once more to the gaping wound at Roslyn’s side. This wasn’t the world Roslyn belonged to, but that didn’t mean it couldn’t reach out and grab her. It was the price of getting involved. Wounded, Roslyn could do nothing to protect herself, and she was losing blood fast.

         “So you are the one. You’re the shifter, working for the humans?” Sage felt the corner of her mouth lift in a crooked smile as she crouched low, ready, her fists clenched around the daggers held at her sides, her fangs pressing hungrily against her tightly closed lips. She was ready to take a bite of the Male.

         “I’m the shifter who is going to paint these walls with your blood asshole.” She snapped the words, feeling her adrenaline pumping. Her skin tingled with the need, the lust to feed, her body shook with it, her heart cried for the satisfaction. She wasn’t going to waste her energy shifting for the youngling.

         Sage watched as the male fell to his knees, his form shimmering, his cries filled the night, and reverberated off the walls of the narrow alley, drowned out by the seemingly endless blare of sirens. She growled deep in her throat ready as she faced the wolf before her. His dark fur was wild, standing straight in his aggression. Saliva dripped from his dangerously sharp teeth. This was it, this was what she wanted.

         “Let’s go mother fucker.”

         She held her ground as the animal charged wildly, his teeth snapping and hungry. As he neared her, Sage fell into herself, allowing her body to take over, she spun her knives both finding their targets, slipping though muscle, and tendons, slamming into bone. The male yelped in pain as he skidded past her, his claws tapping and scrapping loudly on the gravel. Sage turned to face him again, not hiding her smile now, she brought the blade to her mouth, and her tongue darted out, tasting the sweet liquid sliding over the metal. The wolf crouched; the muscle of his back twitching in pain, there was pain too reflected in his eyes, he was unsure. “Is that all?” She dropped the daggers at her side, and began charging the wounded male, her lips drawn back, her fangs bared, she saw her aggression reflected in his yellow gaze. There was something else there, fear, and as she closed in, she could taste it on the air. Fear, it was a crisp, sharp taste at the back of her throat.

         She leapt high in the air, her body shedding its human trappings. Tawny fur erupted across her body, thick powerful muscles took over her own. The lioness mounted the Wolfs back, her teeth closing around the males’ throat, as she drank his essence. The thick liquid rolled over her tongue, and dripped down her throat. Ambrosia. She clenched down now, her teeth meeting past flesh and bone.

          Sage jerked her head, tearing a gaping hole in the vulnerable neck of the wolf. He fell to his side, taking his last breath. As he died, his body once more became that of the man he should have been, his dark eyes staring, now blind into the cool night. Sage released a loud roar, her body quivering pleasantly. She stood her form shifting easily as she did, her eyes slipping back to where Roslyn, lay abandoned, her body slumped against the alley wall. Blood oozed freely from the wound at her side. The accomplice to the fallen male was no where to be found. The wind picked up, funneling through the narrow space between the buildings chilling her bared skin, she paused, using her will to clothe herself. Now there was a big difference between the Lycan and the shifters, she didn’t have to go around naked after she took on her human form. The dark denim jeans, and black sleeveless shirt she wore now would do just fine. She bent scooping Roslyn’s limp form in to her arms. She would heal soon, and be back on her feet in a matter of days, but at the moment the sharp scent of her bleeding drove Sage insane with bloodlust.


         As she rose Sage paused. There at the end of the alley stood the Male from the club. At his sides stood three massive wolves, thier heads lowered, lips drawn back from moist fangs. One black, one brown, one so stark white it was startling. Sage felt a growl starting in her throat, her protective instincts spiking dangerously. The four blocked the exit from the dead end lane.

         "Are you with them too shifter?" The male spoke, his voice deep, and so wholely masculine. Sage felt her heart leap into her throat at the sound of his tone, firm authoritive, this was no youngling male, he was, all of them were males of power, or worth. This one could probably give her a run for her money. If she gave him the chance. "Where are the Lycan who left after you?" Sage stared, her teeth clenched against the mix of thirst and aggression. She jerked her head in the direction of the already decomposing body of the male she'd taken down. The three wolves crouched lower, their canine growling filling the night. So he was their leader.

          "I killed him, I dont know what happened to the others," She resisted the urge to put Roslyn down and confront the four blocking her way, they would give her the fight she was burning for, but her first priority had to be her friend. She walked slowly toward the group, her eyes holding those of the lead male, she came to stand before him, and he towered over her just as he had everyone else in the club. His scent overwhelmed her. Wild and sensual, like the needles of a pine blown by a rain kissed wind. Sage struggled to keep her composure. "Let me pass," she muttered, the words hissing past her bared teeth. "Let me pass, and I won't kill you Lycan." Her eyes bore into his, daring him to deny her. In her chest that urge rose again. That primitive need to attack dominated her mind, that and something else, something she couldn't quite name, or else, didn't want to. The other wolves snapped at her legs, but never came close enough to pose any real threat, and as she stood in the gathering night, the sound of sirens still echoing on the rising breeze, her breast heaving aggressively; the dark haired male stepped aside, his shoulders squared, letting her know that she'd not won any battle here.
© Copyright 2009 Mistress Mayhem (vampyfae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614250-Blood-Melody--Chapter-Two