*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614402-Thoughts-About-the-Bible
Rated: E · Draft · Religious · #1614402
Some of my own & others' thoughts about the Bible. I may add more later, as I find more.
Thoughts About the Bible

†  My Own Thoughts On the Bible - The Bible has long been maligned, attacked & misunderstood, yet it has undoubtedly done more good for mankind in general, & untold millions of individuals over the millennia. A book with such amazing effects certainly deserves closer examination than it generally receives. Commonly, the Bible gets the most attention by those who are about to die, or are in a time of great peril or hardship. This is very sad, since it also has wonderful words of guidance, help & encouragement for the living.                                            Many great men & women have realized its benefits, as proven by the many quotes I have found regarding its influence on them, & the wisdom they have gained from it. The Bible, like Jesus, was born in the East, & uses the imagery of that land, evoking exotic & exciting images of frankincense & myrrh, fine silks, merchant caravans, palace halls, mighty warriors & exciting battles; yet, also like Jesus, it speaks the Truth in terms familiar to all people everywhere. It comforts the poor & hurting & warns the wealthy & proud, calling all to repentance & trust in the Only Wise God, who alone is able to save us from sin.

Here Are Some Things Others Have Said About the Bible -

- An African prince, while visiting England asked queen Victoria, “What is the secret of England’s greatness?” Queen Victoria took down a beautifully bound Bible & stated confidently, “THIS is the secret of England’s greatness.”  -Thus England’s (& the rest of the world’s) recent moral decline is obviously because they/we have drifted so far away from God & His Word.                          - Dr. J. Vernon McGee comments - “And the farther we get the more complicated our problems become…that is the reason I am teaching God’s Word in its entirety----I believe it is the only solution. And frankly, friend, we had better get back to it.”
- More evidence of the importance of the Bible to successful government & to the problems of today’s world is seen in the words of many of our greatest leaders:
- America’s 2nd President, John Adams - stated, “I have examined all [that is, all of Scripture], as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, & my busy life will allow me, & the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world. It contains more of my little philosophy than all the libraries I have seen, & such parts of it I cannot reconcile to my little philosophy I postpone for future investigation.”
- President John Quincy Adams - agrees, saying “I speak as a man of the world to men of the world; & I say to you: search the Scriptures. The Bible is the book above all others to be read at all ages, & in all conditions of human life; not to be read once or twice through & then laid aside, but to be read in small portions every day.”
-  President Thomas Jefferson - Said of the Bible, “I have always said, & always will say, that the studious perusal of the Sacred Volume will make better citizens, better husbands, & better fathers.” - A real cause for reflection on this generation, wherein marriages are failing by the multitudes, & society in general is becoming more chaotic & violent as they drift ever farther from God & the Bible.
- Daniel Webster - stated, “If there is anything in my style or thoughts to be commended, the credit is due to my kind parents for instilling into my mind an early love of the Scriptures.” Mr. Webster also commented, “I have read it [the Bible] through many times. I now make a practice of going through it once a year. It is the Book of all others for lawyers as well as divines. I pity the man who cannot find in it a rich supply of thought & rules for conduct.”
- English Prime Minister & Statesman Gladstone, who said in the 1800’s: “Talk about the questions of the day! There is but one question, & that is the Gospel. That can & will correct everything. I am glad to say that about all the men at the top in Great Britain are Christians. I have been in public position fifty-eight years, all but eleven of them in the Cabinet of the British Government, ;& during those forty-seven years have been associated with sixty of the master minds of the century, and all but five of the sixty were Christians.” - It is obvious then that a large part of today’s problems are because there are far too few Christians in the government & other positions of authority.
- Michael Farraday - Famous 19th century scientist, asked, “But why will people go astray, when they have this blessed book of God to guide them?”
- Sir Isaac Newton - In the 18th century declared, “If the Bible is true, the time is coming when men shall travel at fifty miles an hour.”
© Copyright 2009 Mysti Rios (grinnypicker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614402-Thoughts-About-the-Bible