*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615422-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-four
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Entertainment · #1615422
The disease takes hold of one of the children harder than the others.
Heaven’s Gate Bridge four


Mrs. Miller had always been a big proponent of keeping up with other family members. She knew every name of her four brothers and sisters. Her address book was up to date with addresses and birthdays that grew almost monthly. Since she enjoyed this, her husband was happy to let her be secretary for his nine brothers and sisters as well. When the siblings grew up and got married that became a most time consuming, but enjoyable task. The only thing that was a problem was that mail delivery was slow and some of the members moved out of the area. Many of the men family members on both sides would go to a place where they had an opportunity to get the best job. Both families loved the reunions but could only plan one for every four to five years.

The Miller family was also a very social unit. They enjoyed seeing the community as it celebrated holidays and patriotic events. Their lives also included attending their church. In fact most of the members were members of the same Anglican church for a couple of generations.

Mrs. Miller did not have time to read the mail on the day that the doctor confirmed that three of her young children did have the measles. She knew that illness meant a lot of nursing duties. Her only consolation was that if she needed anything that her neighbor could help her if William was at work. Edith Hunt was truly a wonderful neighbor and friend. Edith’s family moved to the area about a year after the Miller’s family settled in. Edith also was taught in some of the nursing skills. Mrs. Miller was so happy that Harriet was friends with Penny, Edith’s daughter. They both announced that they wanted to go into some nursing career. It was so much fun to see them pretending to wrap up a broken arm or bandage a cut as their proof of dedication to their future career.

As Frances was cleaning the dishes on Wednesday morning she knew that measles would last a few days, with many complaints of itching and feeling tired. She tried her best to let the children know that life would be better and that Easter Sunday, they might be able to go outside for a breath of fresh air. They might even have a small Easter egg hunt in the yard instead of going to the church for the big one with all of the children.

Catherine and Harriet were happy to have each other as company. They did not like the restrictions of staying in a dark room. However the fever that the girls had seem to linger on for more than the few days that the doctor had suggest would follow. Harriet’s fever seemed to climb a degree or two higher than Catherine’s fever. Catherine was permitted to go into the guest room for the time that Harriet needed complete privacy.

Harriet even slept all day Thursday and most of Friday before the fever seemed to be easing up. Mrs. Miller was in her room for Thursday afternoon with wet compresses to her forehead. She looked very sick but almost funny with the red dots that touched her body. During one time of the high fever, Harriet almost seemed as if she was in a raging fire and tossed and turned. Sweat poured from her whole body and Mrs. Miller felt that it was time to get the doctor again. Edith who had the measles as a child stood beside Frances and put her hand on Frances’ shoulder.

“I have never seen such a high fever like this before,” Edith whispered.

“I haven’t either. I think you should go downstairs to call the doctor. My baby girl should have started feeling better by now.” Frances replied.

“I’ll do that, but I think you need to sit down. You don’t look so good yourself now. Are you alright?”

“Yes. I…. I am feeling a little bit off myself. I think I am starting to get warm. Maybe even a little itchy myself. I hope that I don’t have this disease.”

“Yes I hear it is not good for adults.”
“Not only that, the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I think it is about two months now. I don’t want to be sick and don’t want anything to happen to this baby. This is supposed to be our last child. William and I think that five children makes a grand family.” said Frances as she touched her tummy and gave a small smile.

“ You should have told me that. You should be resting. Frances go to your room and rest and I’ll watch Harriet for about an hour. “ responded Edith as she tried to push Frances out of the room.

“No. I’m her mother. I want her to see me first when she wakes up. Mothers are supposed to be there at all times.” said Frances as she walked to the chair at the foot of the bed. “I’ll just sit her for a few minutes. Would you go see that William is okay? Timothy went to school since he did not have any fever or spots.”

“Okay, I'll look in on William. Then I’ll go down and call the doctor but I want you to call if you feel faint or if Harriet’s condition changes. I am also going to bring up some sugar tea for you. How about one of those nice muffins that I saw on the table, just to keep up your strength?”

“Just the tea please. But do hurry to call the doctor. I would like him to come by as soon as possible.”

“Alright. Just stay in that chair.”

“Okay.”

Edith quietly left the room. Her footsteps were very soft as she went down the hall to look at a sleeping William. She tiptoed to the stairs.

As Frances was waiting for the tea, her mind drifted to the child that she and William had but lost after six months time. The child had been a hard birth. The doctors finally got it to cry and breathe after a tense minute or two of work. She had been a quiet child, rarely making any noise. She was christened Grace Rosemary. All of the girl children had flower middle names to honor Frances’ father who was a master gardener. He was so proud of the girl children that he gave a special little plant to any girl who he worked for. Most of the time the plant was a flower itself. He also taught his girls names of every plant that he worked with. Frances loved the colors of the plants and chose materials that were bright and cheery.

“Frances. Frances. Wake up. I have your tea. “

“Oh was I asleep long.”

“I guess you must have dozed off for the time it took me to call the doctor and make your tea. Are you sure you are alright?”

“Yes. I guess the small nap was a help. What did the doctor say?”

“He says that his office if full of sick people, mostly with the measles. He will stop by late this afternoon. But if Harriet is worse, call and he will come. He thinks that she must have had something else with the measles that gave her such bad fever.”

“Well okay. Thank you for helping. Did you make some tea for yourself?”

“No. I am going downstairs to fold the laundry and then I have to go home. I’ll be back later but shout if you need help.” said Edith as she walked back to the door.

“Oh thank you so much.” said Frances.

Edith left the room and went home. She was worried about the Miller children but knew that Frances would be there whenever they needed her.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615422-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-four