*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616760-Fire-Escape-Part-3
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Drama · #1616760
Final part of Fire Escape
INT. MOTEL 6 LOBBY-SAME

Front Desk Clerk #2 stands behind the desk, dialing the phone. He smiles warily at the three bounty hunters as they come out of the elevator.

Mick waves the notebook at him in farewell. Luca glares at Front Desk Clerk #2 as he walks by.

Front Desk Clerk #2 watches as they leave the building. Suddenly he returns his attention to the telephone.

FRONT DESK CLERK #2
Oh, hi. This is the Front Desk Clerk from the Motel 6. I got your number from the message you left for Miss Peters. I thought you might want to know that a few men were here in her room. I think they took something. Yes sir. I’m here for another hour.

Front Desk Clerk #2 hangs up the phone and cranes his neck to look out the glass door of the lobby into the parking lot. He relaxes and looks behind him at the wall on the clock.

MONTAGE:

(Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater plays)

Investigator #1 speaks frantically into a phone as Investigator #2 rushes around the office grabbing files.

The Mayor paces in his office.

Investigator #1 and Investigator #2 burst into Jo’s hotel room, followed by policemen.

Luca pulls a pistol out from under the passenger seat and checks the chamber.

A POLICEMAN hands Investigator #1 Professor Wheat’s duffle bag. Investigator #1 pulls out the white jumpsuit with a confused look on his face.

Policemen visit every plaster company in the county.

END MONTAGE

INT. JO’S PARENTS’ LIVING ROOM-LATER
Homey atmosphere, overstuffed floral patterned furniture, cherry oak entertainment center, bookcases full of books.

Jo and Professor Wheat sit on the loveseat next to each other as PETE (50’s, glasses, white hair, thin) and MARTHA (50’s, pretty, slender) sit in two armchairs facing them. Pete holds a cup of coffee in one hand and Martha drinks lemonade. 

Professor Wheat is hunched over in his traditional Professor’s posture, and Jo frowns at his transformation.

MARTHA
And when we saw you on the news I almost fainted! Gone for one day, and almost murdered in your bed! Really, honey, if you want to move back home, you’re welcome to.

PETE
Yep. That’s what your mother wants, Jo, but that doesn’t mean you have to.

Jo rolls her eyes.

JO
I wasn’t almost murdered in my bed. I’m perfectly fine! Nothing is wrong.

Martha looks at Jo disbelievingly. She turns her focus to Professor Wheat.

MARTHA
So you’ve agreed to let our Jo work with you?

Professor Wheat directs his sideways gaze at Martha, surprised to be addressed.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Uh, yes. I’ve agreed to allow Jo-uh, Miss Peters, to help me on a project I’m working on.

Professor Wheat turns his gaze on Jo. Jo makes a face at him.

MARTHA
Oh, how kind of you! I’m sorry, what was your name?

Jo smiles triumphantly at Professor Wheat and waits expectantly. Professor Wheat winks her way then turns his gaze to Martha.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
You can just call me Prof. All my friends do.

Jo raises one brow and leans back against the love seat, crossing her arms in irritation.

PETE
Well, Prof, I assume you picked our Jo based on her outstanding resume.

Pete winks at Jo. Jo shakes her head at him. Professor Wheat eyes Jo curiously.

JO
No, dad, not with that again.

Martha smiles at Pete.

PETE
What? Didn’t you send him your resume to get the job?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Actually it was just based on a quick interview process. What’s so outstanding about her resume?

INT. BOUNTY HUNTERS’ CAR-DAY
Mick drives the car through town. Luca sits in the back seat flipping through Professor Wheat’s notebook. Jimmy has his window down, smoking a cigarette, and reading about Jo Peters.

JIMMY
Degree in Chemistry from Harvard, graduated Magna Cum Lauda, Chemistry Academic Award, Chemistry Research Award, Most Notable Scientist Award, Awarded grants for her research, a contestant for the Nobel Prize in Chemistry the year she graduated from college for her senior research project…

Jimmy looks up from the paper and shakes his head.

JIMMY
The list just keeps going on and on. This girl is a Chemistry genius.

Mick rolls his eyes and turns the corner.

MICK
Who cares? Where does she live?

Jimmy looks back down at the report.

JIMMY
Doesn’t say. Most recent address listed is Beachwood Drive, Hamilton. Next town over.

Jimmy flicks his cigarette out the window. Mick grins and hits the gas.

INT. JO’S PARENTS’ LIVING ROOM-DAY

Professor Wheat gapes at Jo.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
No, she didn’t mention all of her qualifications.

Jo leans forward and speaks closely to Professor Wheat. 

JO
You didn’t come off as being particularly, selective.

Professor Wheat holds eye contact with Jo for a moment then returns his gaze to Jo’s parents.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Peters, but I’m going to have to steal Jo back to Bay City to finish up our project. I promise you, she is in no danger.

Martha and Pete look at each other with worried looks.
MARTHA
Oh, I don’t know…



PETE
If you need anything Jo, anything, or just a place to stay until you find a permanent job, just come on back.

Jo smiles and stands up. Pete gets up and hugs Jo. Professor Wheat stands and shakes Pete’s hand. Martha hugs Jo.

MARTHA
Just come back whenever you want. Call me.

Jo smiles and nods.

JO
Yes, mom. I know.

Martha turns to Professor Wheat.

MARTHA
Okay, Prof, don’t let anything happen to our Jo. She’s rather fond of getting into mischief.

Martha smiles at Jo. Jo looks embarrassed. Professor Wheat grins wryly and nods at Martha.

Jo and Professor Wheat head towards the front door. Pete and Martha follow behind them. Pete has his hands in his pockets and Martha wrings her hands.

Professor Wheat opens the door and let’s Jo walk out ahead of him.

MARTHA
Okay honey, just call us if something happens. I can’t believe you didn’t call after the fire. Don’t do that again!

JO
Yes mom.

PETE
Don’t forget to send us your bills until you get a paying job.

Professor Wheat raises one brow at Jo. Jo smiles at Pete and cocks her head defensively at Professor Wheat.

Professor Wheat shakes his head as he shoos Jo out the door and follows behind her, striding across the lawn towards Jo’s car.

INT. BOUNTY HUNTERS’ CAR-CONTINUOUS
The three men cruise slowly by Jo’s parents’ house. Professor Wheat makes eye contact with Luca as Luca sticks a pistol out the back window.

Professor Wheat tackles Jo to the ground as Luca FIRES.
Pete grabs Martha and tugs them both back into the house.

Jo and Professor Wheat scramble in front of Jo’s car as Luca continues to FIRE at them.

Mick speeds off.

MICK
That was Sean Tristan!

Jimmy looks dumbfounded. Luca hands Jimmy a snapshot of Sean Tristan, a blond version of Professor Wheat. Jimmy’s mouth drops.

JIMMY
So who’s the arsonist? Jo Peters or Sean Tristan?

Mick shakes his head and SLAMS his hand on the steering wheel.


MICK
Damn it! We have to follow them.

EXT. JO’S PARENTS’ HOUSE-CONTINUOUS
Pete and Martha race out of the house to Jo and Professor Wheat.

Neighbors pour out of their houses and rush across their lawns to the Peters’ house.

MARTHA
Jo! Are you alright?

Jo and Professor Wheat stand, brushing themselves off.

NEIGHBOR #1
Martha! What happened? I heard gunshots!

MARTHA
Those men were shooting at Jo!

NEIGHBOR #2
Don’t worry, Pete, I got their license plate numbers. I was mowing the lawn over there, I saw everything.

PETE
Thanks. Come with me, I’m calling the police.

Jo eyes Professor Wheat with concern.

JO
Looks like they found us.

Professor Wheat shakes his head, a dark look on his face.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Looks like they found my notebook.

Professor Wheat sees Pete walking into the house with one of the neighbors. He looks around at the crowd of people CHATTERING.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
We need to get out of here. It’s not safe.

Jo nods her head and rushes to her mother.

JO
Mom! I’m so sorry, but we have to go. It’s not safe for you and dad if we stay! Just tell the police everything. I’ll call you soon!

MARTHA
Joann Peters! You will not leave now! What about those men? What do we tell the police?

Jo rushes to the driver side of her car, blowing her mom a kiss as Martha rants from the lawn.

JO
I love you!

Professor Wheat slumps in the passenger seat. Jo backs the car out of the driveway and takes off down the street.

INT. JO’S CAR-CONTINUOUS
JO
So, now what? Where do we go?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
They have my notebook, otherwise they wouldn’t risk killing me. I have to start all over.

Jo shakes her head.

JO
Are you sure? You don’t keep any copies of your work?

Professor Wheat takes off his glasses and rubs his face.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Well, back in my apartment. But they know where I live. We’d have to sneak in.

Jo nods her head. She puts on her blinker to merge onto the highway.

EXT. HIGHWAY-CONTINUOUS
The bounty hunter’s car pulls out from the median and follows Jo’s car.

INT. JO’S CAR-CONTINUOUS
JO
Well, if that’s what we have to do.

Jo shrugs her shoulders at Professor Wheat.

Suddenly they both jerk forward as the car is HIT from behind.

Jo looks in the rearview mirror. Professor Wheat turns around and looks out the back window.

JO
What the hell?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Here come the termites.

JO
Shit, what do we do?

The car is rear-ended again. Jo fights for control of the wheel.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
We need to lose them!

EXT. HIGHWAY-CONTINUOUS
Jo floors it. Their speed increases from 60 mph to 75 mph. The bounty hunters stay on their tail.

Jo weaves in and out of other cars. Horns HONK as they speed by.

The bounty hunters pull up next to Jo’s car. Jo RAMS her car into theirs.

Mick holds the wheel steady as the two cars drift across the highway.

Professor Wheat rolls down his window. He leans out and PUNCHES out the driver’s window of the bounty hunters’ car.

Professor Wheat sees Luca struggle to load his pistol. Professor Wheat punches Mick.

Mick grabs the wheel and pushes at Professor Wheat as the car swerves on the road. Luca spins the chamber.

Professor Wheat ducks back into Jo’s car. Luca SHOOTS at Jo’s car.

Jo SCREAMS and swerves away from the bounty hunters’ car.

The two cars swerve around a slower moving vehicle.

The bounty hunters’ car comes closer and Jo hits the brakes. The car SKIDS on the highway.

Mick hits the brakes and turns the wheel, spinning around to face Jo’s car.

Jo puts the car in reverse and hits the gas. Mick hits the gas and drives straight towards Jo’s car.

JO
Shit! Prof, do something!

Jo looks over her shoulder at the on-coming traffic as she drives in reverse.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Oh sure, I have control of this situation!

Jo turns the wheel hard and pulls backwards onto the median. The bounty hunters fly by Jo’s car and hit the brakes.

Jo puts the car in drive and PEELS OUT of the median. On-coming traffic blocks the bounty hunters’ car.

INT. JO’S CAR-CONTINUOUS

Jo speeds off down the road. She glances in the rear-view mirror and sees a car CRASH into the bounty hunters’ car.

JO
I guess we have some time to get to your apartment now.

Professor Wheat shakes his head.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Step on it. These guys are pretty resourceful.

Jo’s hands are shaking on the wheel. She lifts one hand and tries to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Professor Wheat notices her shakiness.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Whoa, are you okay, Jo?

Jo nods quickly and tightens her grip on the wheel.

JO
Aside from almost dying three times in the past two days, yeah, Prof, I’m golden.

Professor Wheat softens for a moment. He puts one hand on Jo’s shoulder.

Her eyes well up with tears.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Hey, nice driving, woman.

Jo LAUGHS through the tears in her eyes. She wipes her eyes as she drives.

JO
Damn straight.

Professor Wheat returns his gaze out the window.

INT. BOUNTY HUNTERS’ CAR-CONTINUOUS
Mick pulls his cell phone out of his pocket shakily. He has blood pouring down cuts on his face.

Jimmy holds his head in his hands, blood dripping down his face. Luca lies unconscious in the back seat.

Mick dials ‘911’.

INT. HOSPITAL-EVENING
The Mayor strides down the corridor of the hospital, reporters surrounding him as he walks determinedly.

He stops at a room and barges inside.


INT. BOUNTY HUNTERS’ HOSPITAL ROOM-CONTINUOUS
MAYOR
What in the hell have you done?

Mick lays in one bed with his leg in a cast. Jimmy has his head bandaged and his arm in a sling. Luca’s head is also wrapped. A nurse sits beside him to keep him awake.

The Mayor jerks his thumb at the nurse to leave. She stands quickly and walks out of the room.

MICK
We found your arsonists.

MAYOR
Arsonists?

JIMMY
Yep. Jo Peters and Sean Tristan. Also known as good ole Professor Wheat.

The Mayor wrinkles his nose and shakes his head.

MAYOR
You’re out of your minds.

Luca shakes his head.

MAYOR
Well, where are they?

MICK
Oh, sorry, Mayor, I guess when I got hit by a car I sort of forgot to ask the arsonists where they were headed.

The Mayor raises a finger at Mick.

MAYOR
Don’t wise-crack with me.

Luca holds out Professor Wheat’s notebook to the Mayor. The Mayor takes the notebook and flips through it.

MAYOR
Who’s is it?

MICK
We found it in Jo Peters’ hotel room.

JIMMY
Thought it was hers at first, but then we saw her with Sean Tristan.
Figure it might be his.

The Mayor flips through the notebook then pulls his cell phone out of his pocket.

MONTAGE
REPORTER (V.O.)
New reports from the Mayor indicate that much progress is occurring in the arson cases.

Pictures of Jo Peters and Sean Tristan are on every television channel.

REPORTER (V.O.)
Jo Peters, the girl who was saved by the arsonist, is now thought to be an accomplice in the arsons.

Bud watches the television at a bar. He sees photos of Sean Tristan and squints at the picture.



REPORTER (V.O.)
Sean Tristan is a scientist working on discovering a formula that would make plaster more resistant to fire and protect the steel supports within a building’s walls. According to the Mayor, he is the city’s only suspect in the arsons.

Dean Thomas watches the news from his bedroom. He sees the photograph of Sean Tristan and his jaw drops.

REPORTER (V.O.)
Sean Tristan has been posing in Bay City as the Chemistry Professor at Bay City University. He was known as Professor John Wheat.  He has been missing for 24 hours. If you have any information on the whereabouts of Sean Tristan aka Professor Wheat, please call this number…

The Mayor turns off his television and spins around in his chair. He smokes a cigar and blows smoke up at the ceiling.

END MONTAGE

INT. JO’S CAR-NIGHT
Jo and Professor Wheat sit in Jo’s car on the street opposite Professor Wheat’s apartment building.

JO
Haven’t seen anyone all day. Still think someone is watching your place?

Professor Wheat stares up at the building and shakes his head.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
You never know.

JO
Want me to come up there with you?

Professor Wheat shakes his head no, still looking out the window.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
No. If I’m not back in twenty minutes, just leave. Forget any of this ever happened.

Professor Wheat opens the door and steps out without looking at Jo. Jo looks hurt.

EXT. PROFESSOR WHEAT’S APARTMENT BUILDING-CONTINUOUS
Professor Wheat walks up to the building, hugs his coat closer to himself.

He stops at the entrance and looks around him. He slips inside.

INT. CSI INVESTIGATORS’ CAR-CONTINUOUS
The two CSI Investigators watch from down the street as Professor Wheat approaches the apartment building.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #1
Should we follow him now?

CSI Investigator #2 wrinkles his brow and leans one elbow on his door, chin resting on his fist.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
No, not yet. We need to catch him in the act. Right now we have no proof he has done anything wrong.

CSI Investigator #1 looks back at Jo Peters’ car.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #1
What about the girl?

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
We’ll pick her up later.

INT. PROFESSOR WHEAT’S APARTMENT BUILDING-CONTINUOUS
Professor Wheat walks to the stairs and quickly ascends them.

He walks down a hallway and stops in front of his apartment. Yellow crime scene tape hangs across his door.

Professor Wheat ducks under it and enters his apartment.

INT. JO’S CAR-SAME
Jo sits in her car, watching the building anxiously. She taps her hands on the steering wheel.

She looks around her at the shadows of the buildings and shivers.

Jo steps out of her car, keys in hand. She walks quickly to the apartment building and slips inside.

INT. PROFESSOR WHEAT’S OFFICE-SAME
Professor Wheat kneels in front of a small safe in his office. He pulls out chemicals and papers and stuffs them into a backpack.

He hears a NOISE.

Professor Wheat stands up quickly and moves behind the door. He waits.

Jo enters the office.

JO
Prof?

Professor Wheat watches as she enters the office. He steps out from behind the door.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
You shouldn’t sneak up on people like that.

Jo turns and SHRIEKS.

JO
Why the hell did you do that?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
What are you doing up here?

Jo shrugs.

JO
I uh, wanted to see if you needed help up here.

Professor Wheat studies her in the darkness. Jo stands still, arms hugging herself against the cold of his apartment. Her figure is silhouetted by the moonlight.

Professor Wheat comes closer to Jo, inches from her face. He touches her cheek with a fingertip. Jo catches her breath.

Jo leans forward and kisses Professor Wheat. Her arms come around his neck. Professor Wheat touches his fingertips to her jaw as they kiss.

Jo breaks the kiss.
JO
Why do you have to do this?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
This…?

JO
Arson.

Professor Wheat turns away from Jo.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
I’ve already told you.

JO
But what about after?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
I haven’t thought that far ahead.

Professor Wheat steps around Jo to the safe in the corner. He finishes pulling a few things out and shuts it.

Jo wanders about the office. She sees moonlight glinting off of a picture frame on a shelf. She walks over to it and picks it up.

Jo angles the picture in the moonlight and her jaw opens slightly.

The picture is a red headed woman in her wedding gown, her face laughing and happy.

Jo glances at Professor Wheat as he stands up. She replaces the photograph on the shelf as he turns around.

JO
Where are we going to go now?

Professor Wheat looks at Jo.

JO
We can’t go back to the hotel.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
I know where we can go.

INT. JO’S CAR/EXT. PARK/RESERVOIR-NIGHT
Jo and Professor Wheat sit in Jo’s car overlooking the water in the reservoir. Trees surround the area, walking paths lead through the trees. Pavilion rooftops poke out of clearings.

Professor Wheat shuffles through his papers by the interior lights of the car. Jo sits in the driver seat.

EXT. PARK/RESERVOIR ENTRANCE-SAME
CSI Investigator #2 parks the car just inside the entrance to the park. He turns off the lights and turns off the ignition. He and CSI Investigator #1 step out of the car and shut their doors quietly.

The CSI Investigators creep through the shadows, stopping within the trees, a clear vantage of Jo’s car in the distance.

CSI Investigator #1 sits at the base of the tree and leans back. CSI Investigator #2 stands watching.

INT. JO’S CAR-SAME
Jo drums her fingertips on the wheel. Professor Wheat stops shuffling his papers and looks at her fingers. Jo glances at Professor Wheat apologetically and puts her hands in her lap.

JO
Need help with anything?

Professor Wheat eyes her.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
You are desperate to get a look at these formulas. Now that I know your background I understand why.

Jo shrugs innocently.

JO
I’m a Chemist, can you blame me?

Professor Wheat SIGHS and shrugs. He continues flipping through his papers. He stops at one and puts the rest of the papers in the slot in the passenger door.

Jo leans over his shoulder curiously.

Clearly written formulas cover the entire page. Jo squints her eyes to study them. Professor Wheat SIGHS.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
I’ll make you a deal.

Jo straightens up and looks at Professor Wheat. He maintains eye contact with a small smile on his face.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Either I tell you who I am, or I let you help me with these formulas.

Jo frowns.

JO
But that’s not fair! You promised to tell me who you are anyway for helping you.

Professor Wheat shrugs and smiles.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Now I’m giving you a choice.

Jo throws her arms up.

JO
Fine. Let me help you with the formulas.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
See? You pick your profession over your personal life too.

Jo glares at him.

JO
I’m still going to find out who you are. But right now I’m more interested in your project. Besides, from what I’ve seen, you need my help.

Professor Wheat stops smiling and leans towards the middle of the seat so Jo can see the paper as well.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
This was the last formula I used at the hotel. The problem is I can’t go back and check its effectiveness. Based on the past formulas and the results, I can only assume I was still close.

Jo nods her head and studies the formulas as Professor Wheat explains.

EXT. PARK/RESERVOIR-CONTINUOUS
The two CSI Investigators squat by the tree. CSI Investigator #1 is drawing in the dirt with a stick. CSI Investigator #2 watches Jo’s car intensely.

INT. JO’S CAR-CONTINUOUS
JO
How are you going to make all these compounds?

PROFESSOR WHEAT
They’re already made.

He jerks his thumb towards his backpack in the back seat.



PROFESSOR WHEAT
All I’ve been working on are the proper proportions. I know it will work.

Jo raises one brow and glances away from the backpack.

JO
I see. So you’re almost finished.

Professor Wheat nods. Jo takes the paper from Professor Wheat and goes over each equation one by one, changing formulas here and there. Professor Wheat looks on.

EXT. PARK/RESERVOIR-DAWN
CSI Investigator #1 is asleep at the base of the tree. CSI Investigator #2 blinks sleepily.

He kicks CSI Investigator #1’s shoes as he sees Jo and Professor Wheat climb back up from the reservoir to Jo’s car.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Come on, get up! I think we’re moving.

CSI Investigator #1 stands up quickly and follows CSI Investigator #2 back to the car.

INT. JO’S CAR-CONTINUOUS
Professor Wheat puts his backpack in the backseat. Jo sits in the passenger seat.

Professor Wheat admires a vial in his hands.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
This has to be it, the last one.

Jo looks at him curiously.

JO
What if it isn’t?

Professor Wheat gazes at Jo. He holds his hand out to Jo.

PROFESSOR WHEAT
Sean Tristan.

Jo takes his hand and shakes it.

JO
You’re serious. No more arsons?

Sean Tristan leans closer to Jo and kisses her.

SEAN TRISTAN
Last one. I promise.

Jo smiles.

Sean Tristan leans back in the driver’s seat and starts the engine.

INT. CSI INVESTIGATORS’ CAR/EXT. SEAN TRISTAN’S APARTMENT BUILDING-SUNRISE
The two CSI Investigators watch as Sean Tristan gets out of Jo’s car and heads for the apartment building.

They see Jo get out of the passenger seat and walk around to the driver’s seat. She drives off.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
What the hell are they doing now?

CSI INVESTIGATOR #1
Should we follow her?

CSI Investigator #2 shakes his head no.


CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Call for backup. They can pick her up.

CSI Investigator #1 pulls out his cell phone. CSI Investigator #2 looks up at Sean Tristan’s apartment building.

INT. SEAN TRISTAN’S OFFICE-CONTINUOUS
Sean Tristan kneels in his office in front of a bucket of plaster. He pulls the vial out of his coat pocket. He kisses it.

SEAN TRISTAN
Sweet sixteen.

Sean Tristan pours the vial into the plaster as he stirs with a wooden stir stick.

He gets up and picks up the framed photograph of his wife. He dips the whole frame in the plaster and lays it down on his desk.

INT. CSI INVESTIGATORS’ CAR-LATER
CSI Investigator #2 looks at his watch.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Time’s up. He’s been in there for an hour, let’s go.

The two CSI Investigator’s get out of the car and walk to the apartment building.

INT. SEAN TRISTAN’S APARTMENT-CONTINUOUS
Sean Tristan stands next to a fan blowing on a newly plastered section of his office wall.

He turns off the fan and touches the wall. Only a little white liquid stains his fingertips. He drags a small wooden bookcase full of old books in front of the wall.

Sean Tristan pulls a book of matches out of his pocket and grabs a book off the shelf.

He holds the book in one hand and lights it with his lighter. When the book catches, Sean Tristan holds it in his hand, turning the book so the flame leaps over it.

He sets the book back on the shelf where the flame quickly starts to spread.

INT. SEAN TRISTAN’S APARTMENT BUILDING-CONTINUOUS
The two CSI Investigators approach Sean Tristan’s apartment door. They see smoke wisps coming out the door.

They burst into the apartment.

INT. SEAN TRISTAN’S OFFICE-CONTINUOUS
Sean Tristan looks up at the sound of his door BANGING against the wall.

Flames leap around him in the office.

The two CSI Investigators rush into the office, guns in the air, and see Sean Tristan standing by the window.

CSI Investigator #2 watches the flames creep up the walls.

The CSI Investigators point their guns at Sean Tristan.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #1
We know who you are, Sean. You’re under arrest.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Come on! We’ve got to get out of here!

SEAN TRISTAN
I’m not going to jail.

Sean flips the desk forward at the two CSI Investigators. It lands on CSI Investigator #1. The plaster covered picture lands on the floor in a corner.

CSI Investigator #2 aims his gun at Sean Tristan.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
I’ll shoot!

Sean Tristan charges CSI Investigator #2. They fall to the floor next to the flaming wall.

CSI Investigator #1 struggles out from under the desk.

CSI Investigator #2 and Sean Tristan wrestle on the floor.

CSI Investigator #1 runs into the bedroom and returns with Sean Tristan’s comforter, trying to smother the flames.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Call the fire department! I got this!

CSI Investigator #1 rushes out of the apartment.

Sean Tristan punches CSI Investigator #2 in the stomach. CSI Investigator #2 grabs the plaster bucket and dumps it on Sean Tristan’s head.

CSI Investigator #2 stands up, looking for his gun. Sean Tristan stands up, plaster dripping over his body.

The two fight each other as the fire gets stronger and consumes more of the office. Their clothes are torn and they are sooty.

Finally Sean Tristan punches CSI Investigator #2 and shoves him out of the office just as the ceiling collapses in the office, cutting off CSI Investigator #2 from Sean Tristan.


CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Shit!

CSI Investigator #2 runs down the hallway with his cell phone to his ear.

CSI INVESTIGATOR #2
Where the hell is the fire department? Sean Tristan is caught in the fire! We need help up here!

MONTAGE

Fire trucks WAIL to the scene of the fire.

RESIDENTS pour out of the apartment building.

Streams of water from the fire hoses drench the building.

Police cars surround the building, ambulances’ lights flash.

The Mayor and the two CSI Investigators stand talking. CSI Investigator #2 shakes his head.

Students from the school are among the crowd, Dean Thomas at the forefront.

REPORTER (V.O.)
The sixteenth arson of the year occurred at sunrise right in the arsonist’s own apartment.

Jo watches the news from a hotel room decorated with Canadian flags.

REPORTER (V.O.)
CSI officials say Sean Tristan was caught in the fire, and is presumed dead. A warrant has been
(MORE)

REPORTER (CONT)
issued for the arrest of Miss Jo Peters, who was last seen heading north out of the city…

END MONTAGE

INT. NIST BUILDING-DAY
A SCIENTIST races through the hallways carrying an open shoebox. He passes many WORKERS, nodding his head to them as he passes by.

He comes to a door and bursts in without knocking.

LEAD SCIENTIST stands up from behind his desk.

LEAD SCIENTIST
What is it?

SCIENTIST
Look!

The Scientist puts the shoebox down on Lead Scientists desk. He pulls out a vial of liquid, a chunk of plaster, and a sheet of paper with formulas written on it.

LEAD SCIENTIST
This can’t be…

The Scientist nods his head enthusiastically.

SCIENTIST
He’s given it to us!

The Lead Scientist sits down in his chair quickly and picks up the phone. He dials excitedly.

MONTAGE
JO (V.O.)
Sweet sixteen saved Sean’s life.

The Mayor of Bay City stands at a podium, a congratulations banner hangs behind him.

JO (V.O.)
The United States government perfected and kept the formula, controlling its market.

CSI Investigator #2 holds a plaster slab in his hand, unmarked by the fire. He breaks the plaster, and peels it away, revealing the picture of Sean Tristan’s laughing wife.

JO (V.O.)
As thanks, the government ignores us, allowing us to move on from the past together.

Sean Tristan’s plaster face sits in a display case in a living room. Two shadows reflect in the glass.

END MONTAGE

THE END
© Copyright 2009 Genevieve (workvitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616760-Fire-Escape-Part-3