*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618503-Haglin-Strikes-Again
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1618503
The Essence Mistress heads off to protect the people of Northland from the evils of Haglin
Night had fallen in Northland hours before, and though it was normal for the town to be in slumber by this hour, not a single body slept. Strange noises could be heard rolling down from the surrounding cliff sides, accompanied by an acrid smell that threatened to divorce the evening’s dinner from the stomachs of the town’s people. The air was dry and seemed to pulse with unrest. Clouds laid thick as a blanket across the sky; only a small tear in their fabric allowed an ominous moon to shine through.

After a few more hours passed, one of the town’s lead blacksmiths poked his head out of his window. “Thatcher, do you sleep?”

The shutter across the way opened with a soft clatter. “Not tonight Johnson. There are many evil vibes in the air. Even the cat is uneasy.”

“Aye, the air is not right. I smell a thick foulness. Let’s say we rouse Elane and go visit the Essence Mistress. Surely she can help cure whatever curse looms over us. Meet me out front in five minutes and we three shall set out.” With that, Johnson closed and latched his shutters before getting ready and making his way over to Elane’s house.

Little more than ten minutes past before one woman and two men spurred their horses to the west. Their target: a large castle, built into the cliff face that completely surrounded the town. This castle was home to the Essence Mistress; the most powerful spell weaver in Northland and the surrounding towns.

At the front gate stood two large iron sentries. “Who dare’s disturb the Mistress at such an hour?” Their voices boomed in unison, rumbling deep enough to threaten to send the surrounding rubble scurrying down the cliff face.

Elane was the first to speak up. “A state of unrest has fallen upon Northland. We are here to seek the Essence Mistress’ aid. Let us pass.” She was strong of body and spirit, another of Northland’s smiths, famous for her contemporary work and skill with her own oddly shaped weapons.

The sentries froze. Silent. The party waited at the doors to the castle, knowing better than to let their impatience get to them. All the evils of the night felt subdued here. As if the Mistress’ very proximity quelled the night itself. Time drug on for too long in this calmer place, but just as Johnson’s patience neared its snapping point, a beautiful dark haired woman poked her head out one of the upper windows. “Yee three ain’t a sane bunch, ya know?” she yelled down to the group, “This night is strung taut with evil and lookie ya three gallivanting around on yer steeds like yer all heroes or something. Git yer arses inside before ya git struck down by the evils.” Then as suddenly as she’d appeared she ducked back inside. As if commanded, the sentries stepped aside leaving room for the three townsfolk to guide their horses through the castle walls.

After putting their horses up in the stables they made their way into the main chamber. “So why do ye three heroes be hanging ‘round my castle at such an hour?” the Mistress greeted them in a relaxed fashion from her plush couch, clad in a shimmering pink gown. “Know ye not the evils that lurk tonight? Dost ye not think I am in need of me beauty sleep?” The mistress waited until Thatcher opened his mouth to speak before cutting him off. “Ah, don’t bother. I already know. Yer all here about the evils that are smotherin’ yer precious town, right? Of course you are, there’s no need to be ashamed. Go ahead ask me for my help.” She again waited until one of the three were about to open their mouth. “Oh, it’s okay loves. I’d gladly help yer whole village. Wonderful people y’all are. Come, come gather yerselves to the stables. We’ll git moving right away. The dark knight Haglin is up to these deeds. I can smell it in the air. Like sulfur!” She exclaimed, wide eyed with mystery. She left for the stables, not bothering to change out of her gown or slippers. “Well kids, let’s go. We don’t have all night. Well maybe we do, but I’d like some sleep before my appointments tomorrow.”

The three townsfolk followed the Mistress as she requested, each thrown off in their own way by the eccentric lady. It was not the first time any of them had been in her presence, but that didn’t stop them from being uncomfortable around her. When they arrived back at the stables there stood a glowing white horse in full barding. The horse had not been there minutes before when they had dropped off their own steeds.

Johnson was the first to mount his horse before the Mistress cleared her throat. “What do ya think yer doin’ lad?”

Johnson shot the lady a strange look. She looked to be young enough to be his daughter, what was she doing calling him lad? “Mounting my horse, what else?”

She giggled quaintly. “I see not why ye would do such a thing. Ye three will watch over my castle while I’m gone. I’ll not have you getting yourselves killed. All of you have spouses who would complain a lot if I let one of you die.”

“But…” Johnson stammered.

“We’ll have no buts out of ye. You will happily escort me to the front gates then retire to the castle proper. There’s food in the kitchen and warm beds on the second floor. Fill your stomachs and get some rest. I’ll be sure to inform the people of Northland just how brave you all were and how valiantly you fought for all of their well being. I’m sure I can come up with some wonderful and grandiose stories.” She mounted her horse with such grace that the others hadn’t even been aware of the action. “Now do as I said and get some rest, kids. I’ll be back in a few hours.” The moment her steed set hoof outside the castle gates it took off like a flash of light.

The three townsfolk stood there, staring like idiots. Thatcher turned to the other two. “Did we just get ditched on our own adventure?” The other two nodded slowly.

“What was that all about?” Elane wondered aloud. A few more seconds passed before a mischievous look shifted into place on her face. She thought a little longer then shrugged. “Well as long as we get the credit and don’t have to put ourselves in harm’s way I say let’s raid her kitchen. Maybe we can eat all her cookies before she gets back.” She giggled like a child and ran inside.



The Essence Mistress rode hard until she reached the north canyon wall. Now all she had to do was skirt the lake before heading up the narrow path that led to the plateau where Haglin’s castle was being built.

While she rode, the smell of evil grew thicker. Near the lake it fought to steal her breath. “Whoa, hold ye up dear mare. I think we’re in need of a little assistance. Yeah, you smell that too don’t ye girl?” She patted her mare on the neck. “Be patient, love. Help is on the way. Just let me do my thing.” The Essence Mistress raised her arms to the sky and tilted her head back. Bright blue electricity began buzzing around her hands. “Guardian of the realm next door, come out and play tonight. The enemies I’m sure will be more, come help us and display your might.” When she finished her rhyme she clapped her hands together and launched a brilliant beam of lightning up to the heavens.

Not half a second went by before a huge snake-like creature erupted from the lake. The thing must have been a foot and a half in diameter and thirty feet long and its head was shaped like a crab’s pincher. “Hmm, well that wasn’t the desired effect now was it, love?” The Mistress patted her mare’s neck.

Suddenly, a thunderous roar bellowed from above the clouds. Above the Mistress, a large crimson dragon plummeted from the sky. “Right-o that’s who we’re looking for love.” She rubbed her mare’s neck with one hand as she pointed up at the dragon with the other. “Go get ‘em, Lizzy.” The dragon spread its wings to slow its decent as it splashed down into the lake atop the monstrous snake. Many more rose out of the water and suddenly it looked like a fight worth betting on, but the Mistress knew she didn’t have time for such games. She turned her mare and continued her way around the lake and up the path.

As the Mistress and her mare continued their treacherous climb up the plateau’s path, growls, hissing and yelps of agony could be heard from the thrashing water below. As much as she’d have loved to stay and watch, the Mistress knew better. Instead, she forced her way forward.

At the top of the path she looked over the plateau. Standing beside his half built castle was a knight, clad in shining black armor. There was no doubt that this was the infamous Haglin. “HEY!” The Essence Mistress yelled. “What the hell are you doing?” Haglin looked at her like she was crazy. “Yeah, I’m talking to you. You know the parents told you you could build a fort up here tonight as long as you kept the volume down and didn’t make a mess. I don’t know what kind of crazy evils you’re up to but we can smell whatever it is downstairs. It’s foul even in my room, let alone in the kitchen where I’m trying to bake cookies. So whatever it is, make it stop or I’m calling mom and dad and you’ll be soo grounded when they get home.” With that the Mistress turned on her heals and stormed out of his room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Haglin listened to his sister tromp down the stairs like an angered princess. One of his friends poked his head out of the blanket fort. “What was that all about?”

Haglin shrugged “I think she was dropped on her head a few too many times.”

“Oh.” The friend said as he ducked back into the fort. “Whatever, it’s your turn. So get back in here or I’m giving the controller over to Lenny.”

© Copyright 2009 Guarrman (guarrman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618503-Haglin-Strikes-Again