*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618555-Sam-Clamcorn-series
Rated: E · Novel · Young Adult · #1618555
Taster of what I hope to be a series of children's fantasy fiction novel. Please review!
Sir Clamcorn had made more than a few rounds of toast which he had left on the coffee table. Butter, some tasty looking jam and chunky marmalade were also sat on the table together with a huge mug of hot chocolate.
“We need to keep our warmth up in Glacier Gorge” said his father. “We’re only here a few days. Everywhere we visit, we’re looking for the Ruby of Rozara – we have to find it as soon as possible”
This is what puzzled Sam. His dad would trot out these facts as if Sam knew all about it. 'What was he going on about and what exactly was the Ruby of Rozara?'
“Sam, this is where it gets a bit unbelievable”
Sam nearly choked on his toast. 'A bit!' Sir Clamcorn looked at Sam with concern. Sam took a drink of the hot chocolate and smiled to show him that he wasn’t in fact choking.
“Sam, you are no ordinary child. You are really special” Sir Clamcorn said.
“Oh…thanks”
Sir Clamcorn’s face became stern. “I don’t mean you’re special in that way…well, yes I do – of course I do – I meant you have special talents”
Sam’s eyes widened. “What are they, what can I do?” he asked excitedly.
“Have you never felt physically drawn to the circus, Sam?”
“Yeah, I have – last night…on the way here. One minute I was fine and the next I came over all funny!”
Sir Clamcorn nodded. “Then it’s starting. On your 13th birthday the powers you were born with were meant to surface. I’m so glad that this is the year we found each other. Imagine if your powers had developed when you were on your own. What would you have done – what damage could you have caused…? Sir Clamcorn’s voice trailed off.
“But what is it I can do? What powers are starting?” Sam’s voice was firmer than previously. 'I know they mean well, but they don’t half take ages to get to a point!'
“Sam, you are more powerful than all the others put together. You can take on any one of our skills - all at once if you needed to.”
Sam paused while he took on board what his father was describing. “But Psychic Sandra can read people’s minds. I can’t do that!”
“You will, Sam. You just need training…and guidance. It will come to you eventually. The most important thing is that you’re with us, your family. Heaven only knows what would have happened if he had found you first….”
Sam was puzzled. “He? Who’s he?” he said.
Sir Clamcorn suddenly stood up. “Oh, erm…..eat your toast” he said, and left the caravan, closing the door behind him.

Sam munched on his toast, mulling over what his dad had just told him. 'So, I’ve got special powers!' He waited for something amazing to happen with the power of his thought but nothing changed, other than him finishing off more of his breakfast. 'Why isn’t anything happening…?' he thought, 'Dad said it would happen when I turn 13 – and now I am!' He tried punching the air to see if anything came out of his fingers like the sparks he’d seen Calvin producing. But that just resulted in him flinging his toast behind one of the blue sofas. 'It doesn’t make sense – why would I be more powerful…what’s so special about me?'
© Copyright 2009 The Writing Hall (demhalluk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618555-Sam-Clamcorn-series