*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619336-Zombie-Story
by AaronT
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1619336
The continuation of "Zombie Dream"
         

I was driving. I didn’t know where I was going, but I needed to get somewhere fast. My car was almost out of gas and I was low on supplies.

Wait a second I thought to myself. What the hell am I doing?

I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the engine; I stepped out of the car and took a look around. Tree’s littered both sides of the narrow road, and they seemed to go on forever. It was a cloudy day, and a slight breeze was blowing in from behind me. Tree’s branches swayed in the wind and bumped into one another; the whole scene was quite peaceful.

“Ahh” I murmured, “That feels good.” Then a voice that vaguely matched my own spoke. Why are you stopping and enjoying the weather, idiot? Something bad’s a comin’ and I can feel it. You need to get the hell outta here. Now.

“Who said that!” I exclaimed. To be honest, I was pretty sure where the voice had come from; I just didn’t want to believe it. Believe it dumb-dumb said the voice. I sighed. “You’re in my head, aren’t you?” Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding! said the voice sarcastically. You’re a fucking genius, you know that?

“Asshole” I muttered. I was upset: I had just learned that I was somewhat insane.

Yeah, your crazy! The voice laughed manically. Did the stupid voice have to be so mean! Pussy. “Aargh” I screamed in frustration. “Stop reading my thoughts!”

I’ll read your thoughts as much as I like, idiot! said the voice, annoyed. I don’t know how many times I’ve saved your ass. He emphasized “your”.

“Saved my ass…?” I wondered as I trailed off. “…Just who are you, exactly?”

I’m your gut feeling.

Then I remembered the tragedy that occurred three months ago. The locked indoor gym where people ate and threw-up and died; only to be risen minutes later as the hungry undead. It was my introduction to the horrors that would soon plague the United States. I often had nightmares about the incident, and the story changed a little bit each time. However in each of the dreams, one detail remained unaltered; my gut feeling. My “gut feeling” was definitely the reason I was still alive.

Damn straight I am agreed the voice.

“Hush” I commanded. “I’m remembering.”

The infected food at the gym was only one of many similar incidents. The same thing had been happening all over America. Banquets, other pep rallies, food markets, just about any place one could think of had infected food. The zombie plague of course, had spread like wild-fire from there.

Through scattered news reports I had learned that the infected food was created by a terrorist group with its roots in Germany. America was the target of Bio-Chemical warfare. That was all I knew until the TAZ came around. TAZ stood for “The Anti-Zombified”, and it was a group created about a month after the initial infection. The TAZ was a large group of survivors dedicated to relaying all types of helpful information; ideal buildings for shelter, where to find supplies, etc. It was through the TAZ that I learned that America was on quarantine-by the world. The terrorist group was basically holding the world hostage; threatening to unleash the virus in any country that refused to quarantine America. As a result, Canada and Mexico shut down their borders, and shot anyone trying to cross them on site. Various countries from Europe and Russia set up temporary naval bases along America’s coastlines. Any boats attempting to set sail from America were destroyed. There wasn’t much of a bright side for us survivors.

All we can do is survive said the voice. I agreed. The TAZ said unity was the key for combating against the zombies, and they were setting up bases in various locations. I think I was going to one of them, but I couldn’t remember.

“You know what?” I said out loud, addressing the voice.

What?

“I’m going to name you Gutty, because you’re my gut feeling.”

Gutty approved. Gutty…he said. I like it.

A question popped up in my head. “Hey Gutty?” I inquired.

Yeah?

“Why can’t I remember anything?” As soon as I finished that sentence my shoulder twitched.

Shit! exclaimed Gutty. We’ll worry about that later. Get the hell outta here, now!

I listened to Gutty and quickly entered my car. However, it was too late. By the time I started her up a massive deer had already stepped in front of my car. The beast was huge; it stood at least eight feet tall. The virus infected just about anything, including animals. The TAZ discovered that animals only had two options once infected. Ninety-seven percent of animals were killed, while the surviving three percent were transformed into unholy creatures. This deer was an example of the latter.

The once brown coat of the deer was now a pale blue; almost white. Splotches of dried blood covered its hide and various chunks of flesh were missing from its body; allowing me to see decaying bones and organs. Muscle covered the deer’s long legs. The antlers were the most frightening part of the deer as they were lengthy and very pointed. Bitter eyes stared at me; sending a chill down my spine. I shuddered.

I shall name you… said Gutty. …pissed off Bambi.

“Why are you naming it?” I asked, annoyed.

Shh! replied Gutty. Don’t make a move, maybe Bambi will go away. I had to agree with Gutty. He was after all, my gut instinct.

I kept my body stiff and avoided eye contact with Bambi. I wanted to close my eyes and pretend he wasn’t there, but that could prove fatal.

Yeah. Probably not a good idea agreed Gutty. Each passing minute was torture; it allowed me to visualize those huge antlers impaling my body. I started to sweat and I could feel my heart pounding against my chest. My breaths went from heavy and controlled to short and raspy. I started to panic, until Gutty intervened.

Nuh-uh! You cut that shit out said Gutty. Keep your emotions in control, or else you fall victim to them, remember? Gutty was right. I needed to calm myself down. I inhaled slowly and held my breath, while Gutty counted to ten. ….eight, nine, ten. Alright he said, Exhale. I obeyed and slowly emptied my lungs. My heart stopped banging against my chest and my eyes narrowed.

Thanks, Gutty. I said in my mind.

Shut up he replied. I have to keep you alive, or else I’ll die too.

Ah.

So you wanna hear a joke? asked Gutty.

Sure

Who has two thumbs and is a complete jackass?

I dunno. Who?

You! Retard. Gutty laughed hard; his ringing laughter echoed inside my head.

Oh I thought. I totally didn’t see that one coming.

Liar. replied Gutty. You totally did.

I smiled; I totally did. I experienced a little bit of déjà vu.

After what seemed like forever, Bambi finally turned away and walked back into the woods.

“Whew!” I exclaimed. “Close one.” I leaned back in my chair and starting laughing like a maniac. To put it simply: Bambi scared the shit out of me.

Pussy, let’s go. I obeyed and shifted my car into drive. I had just started to relax when a scream filled the air. At least I thought it was a scream. Sounds like a little girl on steroids noted Gutty.

I checked my rear view mirror and Bambi was behind me, charging.

“What the hell!” I roared. “Fuck off!”

And the boy became a man.

I wasn’t scared any more, just annoyed. I figured I could outrun Bambi, so I floored it. I watch my speedometer as I increased in speed.

“Forty…Fifty…” Bambi was still catching up. “Sixty…Seventy…” Bambi was still on my tail. “Eighty….Ninety…” I started breaking away from Bambi at ninety miles an hour. “Yesh” I said out loud. “Fast deer.” Then my Grand Prix, who I had named “My Sexy”, started beeping. The display read “LOW GAS”.

“Dammit Sexy not now!” I exclaimed, annoyed. The gas pedal locked up by itself causing the car started to slow down. Oooh she didn’t like that! piped Gutty. Apologize! I stomped on the gas pedal, but my effort was in vain; the pedal was locked tight.

“Sexy I’m sorry! Please let me use the gas pedal” I begged. Nothing happened.

“I’ll take you through a drive-through car wash” I added. The pedal unlocked.

Um, so what the hell just happened? I asked with my mind.

Why ya talkin in here and not out loud? teased Gutty.

I don’t wanna piss of Sexy again I replied. But how did the pedal lock up! She’s just a car.

Maybe you’re crazier than you thought, and it was all in your head.

I nodded in agreement. “Maybe” I said. I didn’t like the idea of being crazy, but at least I wasn’t alone. Oh that’s right! You’re not alone said Gutty. Bertha’s in the back seat, but don’t worry. She’s harmless, because she’s all old and stuff.

“Bertha?” I inquired. I peeked over my shoulder and sure enough, there was a body of an elderly woman. My eyes widened. “When did she get the—“A hellish roar interrupted my outburst. Up ahead there was a huge bear; twice the size of Bambi.

Who pissed off Smokey! exclaimed Gutty.

“Shit” I said through clenched teeth. Smokey was directly in the middle of the road, and I had about five seconds until impact with Smokey. I started thinking about my options. I checked the speedometer; ninety-five miles per hour. The road was narrow and trees were everywhere; swerving around Smokey at this speed would get me killed. I couldn’t stop because Bambi was still behind me, so I only had one option: Ram Smokey and see what happens.

Bout four seconds till impact said Gutty. “I know!” I yelled. Adrenaline pumped through my whole body, causing me to tremble violently. Sexy’s radio turned on and started blaring by itself; “Headstrong by Trapt” was playing. If I was going to die, I would go out with a bang. My lungs swelled and I unleashed a massive battle cry; Gutty joined in. I became deaf to the world around me as I rushed Smokey. Sexy approached the giant bear and I braced for impact!

But nothing happened; Smokey disappeared. The radio turned off, and I stopped yelling like an idiot. A sound resembling thunder filled the air and a massive force shook the ground; causing Sexy to jerk left and right. Looking into my rear view mirror, I saw that Bambi was pinned down by Smokey, and the giant bear was having a feast. My body remained tense until the two beasts faded away into the distance. They were out of sight, but certainly not out mind.

Hey idiot? asked Gutty.

What’s up? I replied out loud.

That er, yelling thing? That never happened. Ever

“Agreed” I said blushing. I started to feel quite silly for doing that.

I allowed myself to relax and loosened my grip on the steering wheel. A grin slowly spread its way across my face and I started to laugh. I had cheated death a second time, or at least I felt that way. No wonder I was going crazy! Sexy started beeping again. “LOW GAS”

“I know Sexy” I replied out loud with a sigh, “I know.”



----------------------------------------------------------------------------



If you read this, you should totally check out
 Zombie Dream  (13+)
I often dream of zombies. This is one of them that I stretched out a little...
#1616602 by AaronT
because it's what this story is based on!





© Copyright 2009 AaronT (ted083561 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619336-Zombie-Story