*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627981-Dreambreaker-Chapter-3
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1627981
Kalar goes to a clinic in Shalagal.
"Dreambreaker: Chapter 1

"Dreambreaker: Chapter 2

The acrid darkness pushed against their diving bell. The claws of daemons swimming in the blackness scratched at the form, but it burnt their fingers and nails. Glowing sweat was dripping down the woman's face.

         “Here,” Kalar offered her all the talismans he had with him. The form suddenly burned brighter, throwing the darkness back. The daemons screamed and stayed at the edge of the light, testing it constantly.

         “How do we find her?” Kalar asked. He screamed suddenly as the horrendous face of a daemon burst out in from of them and then disappeared from view. The daemon had three pale eyes, sagging, rotten skin, and thin razor-like teeth that it bared at them. All the daemons had horrifying snouts, rotting, bleeding, blistered skin, and piercing eyes, eyes that full of pure maliciousness. The faces stared at the three of them, hating the three of them, in the inky blackness. The faces were everywhere.

         The woman had gone into a trance, muttering in Zy'yrojt.

         J'mokoh spoke to Kalar softly, “You're very lucky. Sesstelle is very busy in Pyamkoh, and the Greater Spirits are currently in...I guess in our terms you would call it a disagreement, although it has consequences that reach far beyond our own realm. You are lucky that some of the Greater Spirits seem to be on your side, and that they are helping you to find Unanda. You are very lucky indeed.”

         Kalar had no time even to contemplate the consequences of a dispute among multi-dimensional omniscients of which he spoke. Sesstelle opened her eyes.

         “She's there, in that envelope.” Kalar had no time to decipher her meaning.

         As they moved toward where Sesstelle had indicated, Kalar saw hundreds of malicious eyes, claws, hooks, wings, spikes, rotting flesh and exposed, warped bones. The daemons came at them as they approached trying in vain to penetrate the sphere before being repelled. Again, Sesstelle began to show signs of strain.

         “There! I see her arm!” Kalar called out excitedly. His excitement faded to horror as he saw what the daemons had done to her. Her lower jar was missing, one of her eyes was gouged out, her fingers were bend the wrong way and some of the joints were missing. Her left leg had been mostly eaten, and her entire body was covered in bite and claw marks. A large wound exposed vital organs. She was still convulsing, her one eye wide in terror, her mouth screaming. When the bubble of light engulfed her, she was insane with fear. Oddly, her dress, though soaked in blood, was intact. Sesstelle laid a Consciousness form on her, and she felt asleep.

         “Get us out of here,” Kalar said to J'mokoh. Sesstelle handed J'mokoh a talisman. Perspiration formed on J'mokoh's forehead, and after a few seconds, a small Gateway formed. J'mokoh grunted as he strained to make it big enough for them, but after a few more seconds, they all were able to fit through. The Gateway exited to a small clearing in a mountain range. Several green animals with fluffy coats were lazily chewing on the babyleaves and silversord.  The Gateway winked out, and a sense of relief washed over Kalar. He began to laugh weakly. He had just gone into to Nikyry, the Realm of the Greater Spirit of Darkness, and had stolen back Unanda. He had seen the powers of Auni-Xykr and escaped.

          He looked down at Unanda and stopped laughing.“We need to get her to a hospital or a healer.” Kalar took off his coat and tore off several strips from the bottom. He bound them tightly around Unanda's leg, torso, skull and eye to staunch the bleeding. Unanda's breathing was shallow and wheezy and punctuated with weak expectoration.

         “Here is the talismans you loaned me,” Sesstelle said, turning to Kalar. Kalar accepted them and bowed deeply. That seemed like the thing to do after an Aethereal from Pyamkoh protects one from the powers of Auni-Xykr and Nikyry.

         “Thank you so much, Sesstelle, I don't know how to repay you,” Kalar said sincerely.

         “Perhaps you could protect my husband and keep him safe during your quest,” Sesstelle replied.

         Kalar was shocked. “You're …!?”

         J'mokoh smiled. “We had better begin tending to Unanda.”

         Kalar turned to look at Unanda. Her face was beginning to be pinched in pain.

         “Sesstelle, you could...” Kalar began, but it was too late. She was gone. He turned to J'mokoh.

         “J'mokoh, you've done so much for me already, and you don't even know me. I thank you so much, for rescuing Unanda, for rescuing me and my friends...I don't know how I'm going to repay you either.” Kalar said, coming down from the rush of all that had just happened.

         “Kalar, I...I have a secret to tell you, and this is not a secret many people know. I don't know why exactly I'm telling you this, but maybe it's because we just went to Nikyry. I'm an expert in the Time Way. That means I've been and seen many, many places. I've done and seen many, many things. But never have I heard of anyone going to Nikyry and coming back alive and sane. I never thought it would be me. At my age, and I have no idea what that is, but my Wimcard keeps track of it for me, a new experience, however terrifying, is a valuable gift.”

         Kalar stood in shock, humbled by J'mokoh's divulgence. J'mokoh, apparently a wise and experienced traveler extraordinaire, had chosen to tell him his secret. Kalar was touched that their shared horrific experience had meant so much, as well as a little skeptical. Then Kalar thought about what people with ability in the Time Way can do. His feelings of closeness vanished.

         “Wait, if you can use Time natura, then why don't we go back in time and prevent this all from happening?” Kalar asked. He could feel rage building within him.

         J'mokoh just smiled bitterly. “If I was going to do that, I would have already and this wouldn't have happened. Also, using Time natura is not like using any other natura. The Pan-historical Council has to debate the merit of the action, and that takes a long...time. If something serious has happened, I will have had gone through the process. Take it as a good sign that I will have had not.”

         Confused, Kalar stopped for a moment. J'mokoh really did care. Kalar truly was indebted to him.“Well, then, J'mokoh...thank you...” Kalar thought that was probably most appropriate phrase to say, but it was completely inadequate.

         “No, Kalar, thank you. I think this is what you need,” J'mokoh said as a Gateway opened before Kalar and handing his the borrowed talisman, “This will take you to the largest city of the Ungshiin. There are a large number of ferroids like Unanda. They'll know what's best for her. I'll bring Ashtas to you; I'm sure he would like to watch over his student. Until we meet again, be well. Go now.”

         Kalar stepped through the Gateway carrying Unanda, but when he turned to say his goodbyes, the Gateway winked out of existence.

         Before Kalar was a steep canyon wall of dark brown and deep blue rock. A dry, hot wind whipped through the canyon, tousling the yellowed, dry bushes that spotted the landscape. Kalar searched for signs of habitation, but found only a few footprints.

         “Hello!” he called out after walking a short distance along what appeared to be a path. The surrounding mountains consulted each other with his word and shouted it back to him. “I have a woman here; she's badly injured! She needs help now!” Kalar yelled. Again his echo came back to him.

         Then Kalar heard excited speech above him. His Wimcard heard this and translated: “There, down there, by the gate! She's in bad shape. Open the gate; let them in, quickly.”

         In front of where Kalar and Unanda had arrived, two large stone doors that had seamlessly blended with the canyon wall parted to reveal a cavernous pit whose walls were pockmarked with multitudes of small holes, indicated numerous dwellings. Shafts of light penetrated from the stone roof, allowing enough light by which to see.

         The interior of the cavern was filled with retia of ropes and pulleys that hoisted people, supplies, and products to the various levels of the city within the mountains. Thick smoke rose from the glowing bowels of the city through complex pipes and bubbled through large vats of algae and bacteria. Thick, metal scaffolding and rails like angular epiphytes grew from the walls of the cavern and dug its roots deep into the mining and smelting operations. Railroads encircled the vast cavern on several levels. One of the guards who had spotted him came down scaffolding that traced the curve of the gateway. She said a long string of words, her language of throaty vowels and toothy hisses was full of sinuous inflection. Translation issued from his Wimcard.

         “What happened to her? Is she still alive?”

         Kalar avoided these questions and instead made a demand, “She needs a healer, take me to one... please.”

         The woman's Wimcard translated for her. She made a short reply and began walking toward a system of cables and metal beams.

         “Yes, follow me. One lives on the upper levels,” Kalar's Wimcard replied.

         The guard pushed a large button to call an elevator, and within seconds, a large steel basket rose from the depths. Opening a half door, she motioned Kalar inside and shut the door after she had entered. Three other people were in the cage as well and began worriedly conversing with Kalar's guide.

         “What happened to her?”

         “Is she going to live?”

         “Are you taking her to see Malasi?”

         “I don't know what happened, but we don't have time for that right now. Shovels before the fire. Yes, Malasi will know how to heal her. ”

         “Malasi is closer than Shonaso, isn't she. Many years ago, I...” one of the other riders began, but looked at Unanda and stopped.

         The remainder of the elevator ride, which seemed to take hours, was in silence, for which Kalar was thankful. Unanda's dark, oily blood dripped on the elevator floor

         Finally, the elevator jerked to a stop and Kalar's escort opened the door and motioned him out.

         “Let us know when she gets better, we'll be thinking about her” was the translation that came from their friendly shouts as Kalar walked away carrying Unanda. Kalar turned quickly and nodded and walked quickly to catch up with the guard.

         They headed across a sturdy bridge to scaffolding that led to a solitary opening in the wall. Inside was a spacious and well-lit area filled with shelves a few beds. Like Unanda and the guard who had led Kalar to this place, Malasi was a ferroid, but instead of brass, she was hematite. Although she didn't age like beings like Kalar, he knew she was old; she moved at an unhurried pace with an air of wisdom and serenity.

         “Lay her down here,” Kalar's Wimcard told him. Gently, he placed Unanda on the bed Malasi was indicating. Malasi placed a hand on Unanda's forehead. Wisps of Healing natura stroked Unanda's skin, but there was no change. Malasi looked up in alarm.

         “She's been poisoned. I need to identify the poison before I can administer an antidote. Shovels before fire. Her condition is worsening rapidly.” She handed Kalar a pair of scissors. “Cut off her dress.”

         Kalar stopped for a moment. Instead of taking the scissors, he used a Metal form to splice it open. Malasi nodded at his decision; it saved time.

         Malasi brought over a small tank connected to a tube and a face mask. “Hold this mask over her face. I need to identify the poison.”

         Malasi held her Wimcard over a prominent bite mark on Unanda's thigh. She tapped on her Wimcard a few times, made disapproving noises, and began tapping in earnest on it. She made noises in response to what she was seeing. They changed in pitch to convey confusion and surprise. Finally, Malasi put her Wimcard in her pocket and began rummaging through the shelves, collecting containers, a mortar and pestle, and stirring sticks, and snapping sprigs and leaves from the sundry dried plants  around the room. She began her preparations quickly.

         “Well, what's the poison? Can you cure it?” Kalar asked, not looking at Unanda's bloodied, naked body.

         Malasi stopped for a moment as the translation poured from her pocket.

         “Do you what apoptosis is? It's when the body tells cells to bow out gracefully. It's a universal process, found in nearly every complex lifeform discovered so far. It's necessary and good, but her body seems...confused. Like it has forgotten how to function. As a result, her body has switched on the suicide signal to the extreme. Sometimes, one's own body produces the most potent poison. A medicinal bath will slow her progression and defer each cell's action back to the master information molecule. Then my natura will work. What happened to her? Take her to that room and put her in the basin. Fill it with oil, and untie the tourniquets.” Malasi indicated a shadowed room between two sets of shelves.

         Carefully, Kalar picked up Unanda and took her to the room. A dim light panel that fit the concave of the ceiling flickered to life. He placed her in the large polished stone basin, put in the stopper, and turned on the tap for oil. The unctuous, amber liquid began filling the basin quickly. Kalar retrieved the gas tank and affixed the mask to Unanda's face. Her breathing was slow and even, but that was the only movement she made. Kalar noticed the luster of her hair, after what she had been through, her hair still shone with a metallic brilliance. As the oil slowly crept up Unanda's nude body, her dark brown blood and metallic, necrotic tissue began mixing with the oil. Kalar was able to see the extent of Unanda's wounds.

         Malasi came in with a large bucket of white, translucent flakes mixed with herbs. She unceremoniously dumped the bucket into the oil and used a large glass rod to swirl the oil. The crystalline flakes dissolved rapidly, and the herbs issued dark effusions. The bath began to smell sweet and pungent.

         “You didn't answer my question. What attacked her?” Malasi said as she examined Unanda.

         “Daemons attacked her. Thousands.” Kalar replied. His head was filled with the images of the daemons, swirling around her, floating in that realm devoid of fundamental laws or escape. He was blinded by the visions of her terror, her screams, and the violence of that place.

         “Daemons in the wild have never been known to attack ferroids. They don't have venom that can turn a body's defenses on itself. Honestly, who did this to her?” Malasi tone was becoming suspicious.

         Kalar put his head in his hands and closed his eyes briefly, but the images of his experience forced them open again. He looked up, looking Malasi in the eyes.

         “It was the Akina Baala. Yekju...” Kalar began.

         “Oh, I didn't know,” her tone was comforting now. She put her hand on Kalar's hand and looked at him consolingly.

         Kalar was relieved he didn't have to explain any further. The ambiguity of the Akina Baala's capabilities safeguarded him from having to explain his journey to and return from the Realm of the Greater Spirit of Darkness, a journey that, if not for and almost despite the traumatic memories, seemed logically impossible and therefore insane, even to him.

         “She's ready,” Malasi said gently. The oil was clouded with blood, rot, and the herbal infusions. She handed Kalar a device that looked like a large ladle. “Scoop the oil to cleanse it while I heal her.”

         Kalar, confused, began scooping the oil while Malasi caressed Unanda with Healing natura. Malasi closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them fixated on Unanda's face. In a monotone, she began speaking to Kalar.

         “Do you know about the Healing Way? No, you are of the Metal Way. The Healing Way learns from the rivers. It learns from stars and planets, from forests, from the ground. Everything has its paths, its ways to become something it's not before it becomes itself again. Our bodies are like that, and the Healing Way is not about taking it off that path, but helping it along the best possible way. It takes a caring hand to gently guide a body along that path, a loving hand. It's love; love helps us become the best we can be.”

         She was in a trance now, Healing natura flowing in complex forms from her into Unanda as slowly, her wounds began to disappear. Kalar's ladle was having its effect; he could see Unanda's healing through the clarified oil. Shining, lustrous skin replaced the bite marks; her fingers corrected themselves like blossoming flowers.

         Oily sweat transuded from Malasi's face. She began to shake when Kalar remembered the talismans in his pocket. He dug them out of his blood-stained jacket and gave them to Malasi. Malasi took them after a moment without a word and inhaled deeply. The nubs of Unanda's jaw began growing faster, filling out with teeth and lips and skin. The fringes of  the deep gash in Unanda's abdomen folded together like hands in contemplation and fused to perfection. Tissue grew in Unanda's empty eye socket and organized itself into a pupil. Lastly, Unanda's leg, chewed off at the thigh, extended a thin, fetal leg and foot, which grew to an emaciated but adult appendage. Malasi slumped back and exhaled deeply. Unanda coughed forcefully, expelling barrages of thick blood into the basin. She took a shuddering deep breath, and slow, even, gentle eupnea began.

         For a few moments, Kalar was unable to speak.

         “Malasi, you did it! She's healed! When will she wake?” Kalar asked excitedly.

         Malasi shook her head, exhausted. “The worst I can't touch. It's her mind. I can feel it telling her body to fall apart, but you need someone of the Psychic Way for that. For now, all I can do is give her broth and rest. Now, for what I need from you.”

         Kalar looked at Unanda and was filled with overwhelming floods of relief and gratitude. Disappointment and confusion, and admittedly dismissal flowed through him as well as he considered what Malasi had said. Surely Unanda was truly healed and would awake in a few days.

         “Anything at all. I owe you so much. Thank you for everything,” Kalar bowed deeply.

         “How would you feel about extraction in the mines? I know they could use your help down there.”

         Kalar immediately acquiesced.  Following Malasi's instructions, he removed Unanda from the bath and, after Malasi had laid down towels, placed the sleeping woman on a fresh bed. Malasi told Kalar where the mine foreman was and what to say to him. She attached a monitor to Unanda and began changing the soiled bed clothes as he left and headed toward the elevator, escorted for the last time by his guard, who had inconspicuously witnessed Malasi's deeds with awe.



"Dreambreaker: Chapter 4
© Copyright 2009 giraffe1089 (giraffe1089 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627981-Dreambreaker-Chapter-3