*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/162804-The-Battle-of-Gettysburg
Rated: ASR · Script/Play · Educational · #162804
A really old script that I wrote back in American History class.
CAST
========
Narrator

Union
-----
General Meade
General Hardie
Commander #1
Commander #2
Messenger

Confederate
-----------
General Lee
General Pickett


SCENE I
===========================

Narrator walks from the left until he reaches center of the room.

Narrator: (calm) The date is June 28, 1863; General Hooker has asked permission to abandon Harper's Ferry. His request was denied, so General Hooker resigned. President Lincoln was forced to select another General to lead the troops.


The scene changes to a tent. Inside, General George Meade is sound asleep. The time is 4:00 am. General Hardie barges into the tent holding a rolled-up piece of paper.


General Hardie: (Urgently) Wake up! General! Awaken! I have important news from the President.

General Meade wakes up from a sound sleep.

General Meade: (Tiredly) What is it? Why have you awaken me from my sleep?

General Hardie: I have been ordered to give you this.

Hardie gives Meade the paper. Meade reads it, and slowly lowers it.

General Hardie: (Questioning) What is it general?

General Meade: General Hooker has resigned. The President has directed me to take Hooker's place.



SCENE II
===========================

Narrator: Just outside a small town in Pennsylvania called Gettysburg, a small confederate brigade is searching for badly needed shoes. By accident they run into a Union Calvary and a small clash begins. General Meade decides to quickly concentrate his army as this location.

During the first day of fighting, the Confederate Army pushes the Union to the southern part of Gettysburg. The Union army takes a defensive posture upon the hilly terrain.

General Meade discusses his battle strategy with his other commanders.

General Meade: (Looking over maps) We are going to take a strong defensive position upon the tops of the four surrounding hills and set up a front along this ridge that runs between the two sets of hills. (pointing to commander #1) I want you to take your troops and set up on the tops of the two hills to our south. (pointing to commander #2) I need you to take up position on the two hills north of us, nearest to Gettysburg. It is vital that you understand the importance of stopping the Confederates from taking over your position. If the confederates are able to overtake your position, it will allow them to attack us from behind. Do you understand? Can you do it?

Commander #2: (Confident) Yes, I understand. My men will defend this position until no one is left to fight. We will not allow the confederates to take those hills.

General Meade: I will establish my headquarters and setup a line of soldiers along this ridge.


Narrator: After the second day of battle, the confederate army led by General Robert E. Lee was still unable to defeat the Union army.

General Lee discusses what battle strategy to pursue next.

General Lee: (Pointing at the ridge) General Pickett, we have fought for two days now and still no real progress. I want you to take a battalion of men and TAKE THAT RIDGE! I know this is going to be a hard fought battle, but I have every confidence that you can succeed.

General Pickett: General, I am honored by your confidence in men. I only hope I can live up to your expectations. I will amass my men and prepare to fight.



SCENE III
===========================

Narrator: On July 3rd, General Pickett and about 13,000 men marched in formation towards the top of the ridge. The battle was fierce and only a few men were able to reach the top, where they were either killed or captured. Having lost such a terrible, bloody, battle, General Lee ordered his men to retreat into Virginia.

A messenger arrives at General Meade's headquarters.

Messenger: (Hands a message to Meade) General Meade, I have an urgent message from President Lincoln.

General Meade: (With his commanders) President Lincoln wants us to pursue General Lee into Virginia. We have fought a hard battle these past three days. The casualties for both sides has been devastating. I have had enough battles for now. Messenger; please inform President Lincoln that we are NOT goin to pursue General Lee.


Narrator: President Lincoln was angry with Meade for refusing to pursue Lee. On November 19, 1863, President Lincoln visited Gettysburg to dedicate the battlefield cemetery, to honor the soldiers buried there, and to state the Gettysburg address which was one of the most famous speeches in American history.
© Copyright 2001 James (Himura) (rurouni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/162804-The-Battle-of-Gettysburg