*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629851-A-Brothers-Love
Rated: 18+ · Script/Play · Drama · #1629851
The 1 act play of about a boy and his twin brother, and love




ACT I

Scene 1

The curtain opens to reveal a scene in an evergreen forest. There are several trees and bushes, as well as a pile of stones. Two twin boys Luke and Sammy Quinn, two red-headed twins, both age 12, are walking and playing on a warm summer day. Luke and Sammy enter S.R. and meander around the scene.

Luke:

Sure was nice of dad to bring us on this hunting trip, huh Sammy?

Sammy:

Yeah, I don't know if I'm gonna like hunting, but I love spending time with dad. He's so busy with work, I miss him sometimes.

LUKE:

Yeah, me too.

Sammy:

Hey, I betcha I can climb this tree!

Luke:

Well let's see it

(Sammy climbs the tree D.S.L, and sits on an extended limb)

Sammy:

See? I told you I could.

Luke:

Nice job, but I'm coming up too, give me a hand.

(Luke climbs up and Sammy helps by pulling Luke onto the limb)

Piece of cake!

Sammy:

Hey Luke, I think maybe we're part monkey, you and me, because we're both so good at climbing trees, we-

(Sammy notices, and picks up a birds nest with three blue eggs inside of it)

Oh look Luke! It's a Robin's nest!

Luke:

Cool, let me see it!

Sammy:

Here

(Hands the nest to Luke)

Be careful though.

Luke:

Don't worry, I'll be really careful.

(Picks one of the eggs out of the nest)

SAMMY:

What are you doing?! Leave that alone! There's a baby robin in there!

LUKE:

Calm down! I just wanna get some target practice before dad comes back to get us to go hunting.

SAMMY:

WHAT?! No! Put that egg back, and give me the nest!

(reaches for the nest, but misses as Luke pulls away)

Come on!

LUKE:

Shut up, sissy.

(Throws the egg off S.R.)

See? no harm done.

SAMMY:

How could you?! What if some one had thrown you on the ground and killed you when you were a baby? Huh?

LUKE:

No one would have. Besides, it's just a bird. Stop acting gay.

SAMMY:

Give me the nest now!

LUKE:

Okay here.

(Starts to hand over the nest, then deliberately dumps the two remaining eggs on the ground. They splatter. He hands the empty nest to Sammy)

Oops.

SAMMY: NO!

Luke climbs off the tree nonchalantly and walks off U.S.L. Sammy slowly descends the tree, nest in hand. He kneels next to the two broken eggs and places the nest gently on top of them. He then sits against the tree, puts his head on his knees, and cries. Fade out to black.


Scene 2

Lights fade back in on the same scene, without the Robin's eggs. A tall man with red hair and a hunting jacket and a shotgun, Luke and Sammy's father, leads Luke and Sammy on S.L. Luke and Sammy both have their own rifles.

Father:

Yessir boys! This is what it's all about. A father and his sons on a hunting trip. Who could ask for anything better?

LUKE:

Not me dad! I love it here!

FATHER:

How about you Sammy? You enjoying yourself?

SAMMY:

Well...

(considering saying "no", then reconsidering...)

I can't imagine anywhere else I'd rather be, dad.

FATHER:

'Atta boy! Now, let's say we get ourselves some game.

A rustle comes from a bush U.S.R.

FATHER:

Here we go boys! Luke, get your gun and nab that rabbit!

LUKE:

Okay!

Luke fires twice then crosses U.S.R. to the bush and holds up a dead rabbit by it's ears

LUKE:

I got him dad!

FATHER:

(Crossing to Luke)

Woo hoo! I'm so proud of you Luke! Your very first catch! Come here son!

(They embrace)

I love you son.

Sammy, entirely taken aback and upset by the killing runs offstage S.L.

FATHER:

Where'd the hell Sammy go to?

LUKE:

Don't worry dad, he's just off being a pussy, I'll go get him.

FATHER:

Okay son.

Luke walks off S.L. Fade to black

Scene 3

Curtain closes, the following scenes plays out in front of the curtain. Sammy runs on S.R.

SAMMY:

Oh God, why?!

(begins to cry again)

LUKE:

There you are! Why do you keep crying? They're just animals!

SAMMY:

It's not fair. Why do they deserve to die?

LUKE:

Who cares? All I know is I am having the time of my life with dad, and you keep screwing it up by being a little faggot and crying every time something exciting happens. You better cut this crap out now, so dad doesn't flip a lid.

(Sammy continues to cry)

I give. See you back at camp.

(Exits S.R.)

Lights fade to black



Scene 4

Curtain opens and a back half of a basic tent is occupying the D.S.R. section of the stage. Luke and Sammy are sleeping in sleeping bags with a lantern between them. A spot light is on the tent and the boys. Nothing else is visible. Flashes of white light come sparatically throughout the scene, as it is thundering and lightning out.

After a few seconds we realize that Sammy is awake. He sits up and puts his elbows on his knees. After thinking a few seconds, he nudges Luke, and wakes him up.

SAMMY:

Luke, I am sorry for messing up the trip.

LUKE:

It's ok, dad's not that mad, (yawns) and we still have tomorrow.

SAMMY:

This is all my fault. I shouldn't have come. I knew I would hate hunting.

LUKE:

What's to hate, I love it!

SAMMY:

Well something has been eating at my mind.

LUKE:

What's that?

SAMMY:

Luke your my brother right?

LUKE:

Last time I checked (sits up)

SAMMY:

Well you are my brother and I love you.

LUKE:

Gay! Ha ha!

SAMMY:

That's not funny.

LUKE:

Yeah it is.

SAMMY:

It hurts my feelings when you call me gay, and faggot.

LUKE:

Well then, you should stop acting like a faggot.

(Sammy begins to cry)

Oh come on! What are crying about now?

SAMMY:

I can't help what I am.

LUKE:

Huh?

SAMMY:

I can't help what I am.

LUKE:

What the hell do you mean by that?

SAMMY:

(says nothing)

LUKE:

What the hell do you mean by that?!

(gets up and closes in on Sammy's face)

Answer me!

SAMMY:

(in an audible wisper) I... am... a faggot.

Luke punches Sammy in the face, Sammy cries in a crumpled pile on the floor. The lights in the background begin to fade to red indicating morning.

LUKE:

I hate you.

The onstage lights remain on, but the spotlight turns off, and the curtain closes.

Scene 5

The curtain opens to reveal the same scene that we saw in scenes 1 and 2, but with a hunting tree house U.S.L. Luke, Sammy, and their father sit in the tree house, rifles in hand.

FATHER:

Are you ready to try again today Sammy?

SAMMY:

I guess so.

FATHER:

Good! This spot always has great deer hunting, I'm sure you'll nab a big one.

LUKE:

That, or he'll run off and cry again, like a little pussy.

FATHER:

Now Luke, that's not nice. Just because your brother acted like a little queer yesterday, doesn't mean he will today, or ever again...right Sammy?

SAMMY:

(softly) Yeah.

A rustling is heard in the bush D.S.R.

FATHER:

Now's your chance Sammy! Shoot it! Shoot it!

(Sammy aims the rifle, and then puts it back down.)

Sammy! What are you doing?

SAMMY:

I can't do it dad, I'm sorry.

FATHER:

Fine. Luke, shoot that thing before it gets away.

LUKE:

Yessir!

(Luke shoots at the bush)

The three climb down the tree and cross to the bush

FATHER:

Luke, you got it's leg, it's wounded, but it's not dead. Sammy, finish the job.

SAMMY:

Dad... I can't. I just...can't

FATHER:

Stop being a little faggot and just do it...NOW!

SAMMY:

Don't call me that! (crying) How can you call your son that? You should love me even if I am gay!

FATHER:

Fine... Samantha... your brother and I will meet you in the car, you will stay here and put this deer out of it's misery. And when you get home, you can have your mother make you a new dress. That is unless she is as embarassed and ashamed of you as I am...

Father leaves S.L.

LUKE:

That's what you get.

Exits S.L. Sammy shoots at the bush one more time and then drops to his knees. He looks at the gun for a few seconds. Lights fade slowly to black. The rifle fires one last time. Curtain Closes

END









© Copyright 2009 Maestro (sspink4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629851-A-Brothers-Love